me and my big arms :(

Options
So, I've lost a lot of weight so far (40 pounds!), but my arms are still huge! They've even gotten bigger since I've been working out because I've added some muscle. The fat just won't leave them. :( Anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know any exercises that could help me get rid of the fat in my arms and not add a ton of muscle? Will I just reach a point in my weight loss that they'll naturally just start to diminish? I just want to feel confidant wearing tank tops and swimsuits this summer and showing off my weight loss... and I won't be able to do that with my arms just getting bigger and bigger :( Help me!

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    You can't spot-reduce any area of your body. I have big legs, and even though I am quite fit, I will always have big legs. I'd rather they be big and muscular, though, than big and fat.
    Keep up with the strength training - it is awesome - and just make sure you're working towards getting fit and healthy PERIOD - your arms will go down eventually, although they may always be larger than you might like, but they can still look great if you fill them with beautiful muscles (and it is SO hard for women to get bulky, please don't worry about that!)
  • Cullenbraille
    Cullenbraille Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in knowing the answer to this too. I have always had larger arms. We're not all pear-shaped, right?!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Just keep going and they will eventually go down. Whatever you do don't stop weight training. I have a friend that went from 220 down to 130, but her arms are still fat because she refuses to work them out thinking that she will get manly muscles. I'm gonna laugh at her when I get down to that size and can wear things she can't pull off. I'm getting so close!
  • mmpdavis
    mmpdavis Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same arm problem. Although decreasing the diameter of your arms by drastic measures is unlikely if not virtually impossible by normal measures, you can work on those areas in other ways. My former trainer recommended increasing the number of reps I do for my arm exercises (bicep curls, tricep extensions, etc.) but not increasing the weight. Also, swimming with paddles and a pull buoy can help you work on your arms in a more comprehensive fashion. If you keep the weight lower but you increase the reps and have more "burn," you can develop good muscles at a reasonable rate while slimming down the excess parts of your arm. Good luck!
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a big difference in my arms sense I started doing push ups, also if you check out body of steel it has great arm work out, the weights she uses don't give you big muscles, I don't care what any one says the more I work out my butt the smaller and rounder it gets, the more I work out my arms the tighter they became, unless its heavey weights then they just like you said grew muslcs under the fat causeing then arm to look smaller, so Don't give up you can make a defference now as you lose weight by working those specific muscles
  • monicalynne68
    monicalynne68 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    if you want to build muscle, you increase weight and lower the number of reps. If you want to tone muscle and burn fat, you increase the number of reps and lower the weight.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    for the first 40lbs or so my arms barely slimmed at all a measly half an inch compared to 7inches from my waist but in the last 15lbs since I started bellydance fitness and incorporated light weights into my aerobics they've shrunk another whole inch. Still have a ways to go but love thatt theyre shrinking now :)
    the bellydance fitness arms and abs workout helped a ton I think :)
    good luck and keep going
    Kimmy
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Fewer reps at higher weights is actually much more effective and as a woman you will never be able to get big bulky man muscles no matter how heavy you are lifting. That is a myth. It is testosterone and other steroids that cause bulking and women just don't produce enough to have that effect.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Fewer reps at higher weights is actually much more effective and as a woman you will never be able to get big bulky man muscles no matter how heavy you are lifting. That is a myth. It is testosterone and other steroids that cause bulking and women just don't produce enough to have that effect.
    ^^^^THIS IS TRUE^^^^
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    for the first 40lbs or so my arms barely slimmed at all a measly half ansorry for double posting... Youve gotten some good advice:)
  • annie_lawler
    Options
    Thank you all SO much! I really feel a lot better about it, and I won't be afraid of getting too muscular anymore! :)<3
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. My arms were one of the last parts of my body to start shrinking. I have always had larger arms and it was making me feel bad about myself. But, eventually the inches started to melt off. It took a long time, but they will go. Just stick to it. My arms are still bigger than I would like, but much closer to my goal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    if you want to build muscle, you increase weight and lower the number of reps. If you want to tone muscle and burn fat, you increase the number of reps and lower the weight.
    Myth. Muscle gets conditioned better by lifting heavier. To build muscle you NEED calorie surplus, so building muscle on calorie deficit (with 3 exceptions) is practically impossible. And to burn fat more efficiently you raise your RMR and stay in calorie deficit. Lifting lighter weights with higher reps build muscle endurance and doesn't condition muscle better than heavy resistance lifting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Do you have type 2 diabetes? Sometimes if you have that, your upper arms will get quite large compared to the rest of your body. You may not lose that fat until later on or they may even stay quite large after you reach your goal.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Where body fat "retains" is based on genetics. Some have it in the thighs, some in the abs, some on the arms. Staying in calorie deficit and keeping a good exercise routine will eventually lower all body fat.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Bri_Becq
    Bri_Becq Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. But since I still have more weight to lose, they tell me to keep up with healthy eating, cardio and weight training. To do low weight LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of repetition to burn the fat and get some lean muscles.

Feel free to add me ladies. We all need some motivation.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    ^^^^THIS IS TRUE^^^^

Yes! :smile: The heavier I lift, the smaller my arms get. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/i-don-t-want-to-be-bulky-221294
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have the same problem. But since I still have more weight to lose, they tell me to keep up with healthy eating, cardio and weight training. To do low weight LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of repetition to burn the fat and get some lean muscles.

Feel free to add me ladies. We all need some motivation.
    Lots of repetitions in weight lifting build muscle endurance and little calorie burn. You'd be better off lifting heavier and raising your RMR.
    High repetitions to "build" lean muscle is a myth that won't seem to go away.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I know I inherited this tendency from my mom! All the women in her family have big arms, even when they are smaller. So it is hard to say. Keep at it!

I know I am destined to have bigger arms and legs, so I have been working on the strength training, and hoping as I lose they will improve. Oh and learning strategic poses so my arms look smaller. Or at least defined. I always steal from the Tyra Banks poe and place my arm on my hip in pictures so it looks smaller. ;)
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump