19yr. old College student- I need some serious Motivation!

Options
Hey Everyone!! My name is Vanessa and I'm 19. I'm currently attending a film school in CA and I love it. Well I've been doign MFP since like October and so far I like it. I go through spurts of losing weight and than platueing(seriously just spelled that wrong!) Anywho, I'm going to school full time and I also work 30 hours a week. To put it simply, I'm finding it hard to keep up with everything, and I'm getting annoyed and discouraged at seeing no results. I get up at 5 am to go to work and when I'm done working I'm just too tired to go workout, plus I have TONSS of homework that needs to be done. Ugh. I guess this is really just venting too. aha.. I just wanna see results!

Replies

• warhorse99
    Options
    ::flowerforyou: Vanessa don,t give up .......peter...... i am 71 and i can do it.
  • DeborahStanley
    DeborahStanley Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm not surprised that you're needing to vent!! Don't give yourself a hard time about the gym, if you're doing school work & working then those are your priorities at the moment. There will always be some people who tell you that it's possible to fit everything in but some days it isn't. Work out when you can at the gym the rest of the time keep active & keep yourself healthy, eat sensibly & get enough rest. Plateauing is annoying but you'll get there in the end :)
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Being that busy is really tough, but is the workout the only part you can't keep up with? You can do 10 minutes 3 times per day, not necessarily all at once. Maybe consider taking breaks from homework to do pushups, then situps, then jumping jacks?

Best of luck.
  • joeabo
    joeabo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey i know how you feel. I might not work but i go to school full time and i find it hard to workout sometimes. Just stay on track and you will do fine.
  • gymcholo
    gymcholo Posts: 10
    Options
    Hey Vanessa! Don't give up. I'm 36, work 40+ hours, full-time dad when I am not working. There doesn't seem to be enough hours for the things I need to do. So instead of having to work around it I worked through it and it seems to be working out rather well. What I mean is that instead of worrying when to do it and pulling your hair out or beating yourself up for missing a time to do it. Just work through it. If you think about it, you have to walk to your classes and you have to carry equipment around, right? So during quick breaks, do quick and intense work outs. Change it up every day if you have to so you don't plateau. If you use to work out every day, did the same routine and expected results well it worked for the first four weeks but now you have to change it. Every four weeks so you never plateau. Run around the studio a couple of times, pick up and lift equipment, get creative. In the car at a stop light I put it in park, recline the seat, push up my knees behind the steering wheel and do as many crunches I can. The result are not going to be over night. You know this. But instead of worrying, just do it. Do it at work, do in line, do it in public, who cares what anyone thinks. By the time you are at your goal you'll be glad that you did this. Also I have to address music. Find great music that turns you on. I listen to trancefm.com and of course, here in Seattle there's an awesome dance station C89.5. Finally, take MFP with you everywhere. The more its around the more you can update. Everything counts from 5 minutes of light cleaning to having sex. Good luck. Add me as a friend, we'll get you through this!
  • msnessamichelle
    Options
  • msnessamichelle
    Options
    I'm not surprised that you're needing to vent!! Don't give yourself a hard time about the gym, if you're doing school work & working then those are your priorities at the moment. There will always be some people who tell you that it's possible to fit everything in but some days it isn't. Work out when you can at the gym the rest of the time keep active & keep yourself healthy, eat sensibly & get enough rest. Plateauing is annoying but you'll get there in the end :)

Thanks! Seriously! It just feels like I HAVE to do everything all the time! I just need to get everything into perspective is all. My school and job are important. Also, just posts like this help me out ALOT you have no idea, so thanks again!
  • msnessamichelle
    Options
    Hey Vanessa! Don't give up. I'm 36, work 40+ hours, full-time dad when I am not working. There doesn't seem to be enough hours for the things I need to do. So instead of having to work around it I worked through it and it seems to be working out rather well. What I mean is that instead of worrying when to do it and pulling your hair out or beating yourself up for missing a time to do it. Just work through it. If you think about it, you have to walk to your classes and you have to carry equipment around, right? So during quick breaks, do quick and intense work outs. Change it up every day if you have to so you don't plateau. If you use to work out every day, did the same routine and expected results well it worked for the first four weeks but now you have to change it. Every four weeks so you never plateau. Run around the studio a couple of times, pick up and lift equipment, get creative. In the car at a stop light I put it in park, recline the seat, push up my knees behind the steering wheel and do as many crunches I can. The result are not going to be over night. You know this. But instead of worrying, just do it. Do it at work, do in line, do it in public, who cares what anyone thinks. By the time you are at your goal you'll be glad that you did this. Also I have to address music. Find great music that turns you on. I listen to trancefm.com and of course, here in Seattle there's an awesome dance station C89.5. Finally, take MFP with you everywhere. The more its around the more you can update. Everything counts from 5 minutes of light cleaning to having sex. Good luck. Add me as a friend, we'll get you through this!

Woah! Thanks a lot of great ideas! I do know I have to change it up, just figuring it out is half the battle. But yeah, today I started to do just random things to jumping jack to crunches. Got my heart rate up. Felt pretty good! As for doing it in public, I think my boss would have a heart attack if I just randomly dropped to the ground and did runches! lol But yeah I know what you mean! And the music. I just had to buy a new mp3 player cause I washed mine like 3 months ago :( So everytime I would workout, I would either have NO music or use my friends Ipod, but we have completely different taste in music, si it was kinda like listening to nothing! haha. Thanks!
  • msnessamichelle
    Options
    Hey i know how you feel. I might not work but i go to school full time and i find it hard to workout sometimes. Just stay on track and you will do fine.

Yeah, it's definetly hard to keep up with everything! I just need to take it slow, and stay focused!
  • msnessamichelle
    Options
    ::flowerforyou: Vanessa don,t give up .......peter...... i am 71 and i can do it.

Aww! Thanks Peter! Don't worry, there's no giving up on my end!
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, you can do it! When I'm really busy (which is often - I work full-time rotating shift work with 10 hours shifts, have 2 part-time jobs, a side business, book club, volleyball, and LIFE in general so I can sympathize) I find that if I break it up into 3 x 10 minute segments throughout the day, it really helps! You can get your heart rate up quite quickly and burn some cals if you start doing even body weight circuits like pushups, burpees, jumping jacks, plyo squats, and all that fun stuff. Doesn't have to be complicated! :)
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    When I was in college and trying to keep in shape, I parked far away from my classes, carried my books - went back to my car to exchange them between classes, took the stairs, and made sure I was eating healthy snacks throughout the day. It wasn't until my last year or two that I ever went to the gym on campus between classes. I could sit on the exercise bike and read if necessary. I figured school was my job. I tried to fit everything in between a certain amount of hours and used that time to its fullest. Study and do assignments between classes. Don't kill yourself. You need rest too. Just look at the walking and stairs as part of your fitness plan.
  • Ashaeboni
    Ashaeboni Posts: 13
    Options
    Hey Vanessa!

I def understand the whole college student schedule as well as the overwhelming need to vent about such frustrations. Try little things throughout the day like taking the steps and parking in the back of parking lots. O and remember, dancing at parties does count as a work out so party as much as you can :glasses: Keep your head up lady!! :happy: