Classes at the Gym----phobia

Options
I joined Gold's Gym last year and have sporadically gone, off and on. My friend/coworker Danielle loves to attend classes. She goes to zumba, spinning classes, and she does the Tough Mudder. She weighs around what I do, but she's in way better shape and used to love being in sports in high school. She says I should come with her sometime, but she's very hard to get a hold of.

I am pretty much terrified of classes. I have no idea what to expect. What equipment I should bring? How I should dress? Do I need to sign up? What if I embarrass myself because I'm not coordinated enough? I want to take the Body Flow and/or Yoga classes and then maybe branch out to some of the "dancier" stuff. But I'm so freaking scared I can't seem to bring myself to talk to anyone about it.

So, I'm hoping someone on here also belongs to a Gold's Gym and might be able to clue me in. I'd kind of like to surprise Danielle by showing up to a class one day. Any thoughts?

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Just do it! I was scared too but now that's all I do now is classes! It's so much more fun than the elliptical!

I swear after you go the first time you'll be fine!
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options

I am pretty much terrified of classes. I have no idea what to expect. What equipment I should bring? How I should dress? Do I need to sign up? What if I embarrass myself because I'm not coordinated enough? I want to take the Body Flow and/or Yoga classes and then maybe branch out to some of the "dancier" stuff. But I'm so freaking scared I can't seem to bring myself to talk to anyone about it.

What should I bring/wear to a yoga pilates type class?
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    They are my favorite thing to do ever!!!!! So motivating and makes me look forward to going to the gym!
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Normally the gym provides you with mats, blocks and belts, stuff you need for the yoga. The instructor most likely will ask you to take your socks off, so you don't slip, so I like to make sure my nail polish is nice, but that's just me.

Wear something non restrictive, like leggings and a top that won't come up when you hang head down, so you don't feel embarrassed about your tummy showing, as some positions require you to bend over deep and support your weight with arms and legs. Other than that just yourself, so don't worry too much. If in doubt ask the receptionist, they should be happy to help you.
    Yoga can be hard if you never done it, but you will improve really quickly, so don't give up after the first class. I do yoga at least twice a week for 1 1/2 hours. :D

Enjoy!
  • Nikusz
    Nikusz Posts: 69 Member
    Options

comfy clothes (whatever you prefer, baggy t-shirt and close-fitting top are both fine, same for bottoms) and comfy shoes.

for spinning classes you might consider padded shorts and biking gloves - I found them a nice addition. there are also special biking shoes but I've been doing spinning for ages without them
  • Tami113
    Tami113 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a first time so don't worry about not doing things right. It will get easier the more you go. My gym has a big window into the group classes. I watched one week and the next week i was doing zumba!! I had no clue what i was doing. Ask the people at the front desk about classes and what you should bring.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Just do it! I was scared too but now that's all I do now is classes! It's so much more fun than the elliptical!

I swear after you go the first time you'll be fine!

Ugh! Then answer her questions! What should she bring? How should she dress? Does she need to sign up? I don't know, I wouldn't do classes if you paid me, but if you think it would be something she'd enjoy encourage her by helping her with the things that are worrying her. That she won't have the right stuff or clothes, or she'll find out she needed to sign up and she didn't!
  • AMS58
    AMS58 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I was really afraid the first time I went to a class, so worried that I wouldn't keep up, but now it is all I do.... Body Step - Body Pump and Body Balance. 5 days a week. Great toning and fitness. Love it love it love it!!!!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I go to a YMCA Zumba class. Besides sticking out for being a guy in a class of 20-30 women, it doesn't help that I suck but I don't care. I'm there to have fun while working up a sweat. Most people that are there don't care either. Just go.
  • raekaekelly
    Options
    If you don't want to go to a gym to do a class... maybe you can get a good set of workout DVD's! I always feel like an idiot doing classes. I even feel like and idiot flailing around in my own living room! But at least no one else can see ;)
  • dellrason
    Options
    I have the worst coordination ever & started Zumba at the start of the year, I'm a total mess but you know what? No one cares! You get some really serious people at classes & then you get people like me & my mate who get lost in the routine & just end up dancing round at the back of the room till we get back in it. Mostly, people are great & everyone understands you can't be perfect immediately. I tend to get a lot of friendly laughs at classes cos I just do what I can & make the rest up!

I wear the same for classes as I do for the gym, the only thing my gym requires you to take is a drink so you keep rehydrated. They provide everything else you need. The only thing I would say is if you're uncomfortable getting sweaty then take a small towel - this is what I did at first.

Classes are so much fun now I've given them a chance, I've even been to completely new classes on my own & feel so much better for gaining that confidence, as minor as it might seem to other people :)

Go for it! You'll either love it & go as much as you can, or find it's not for you & then you've lost nothing cos you can just go back to the gym. Oh & one other thing, all of our fitness instructors recommend going to 3 classes before you decide whether you like it or not. Don't give up after 1 class
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I had the same worries and questions before I tried a yoga class. I reminded myself that, hey! it is the JOB of the person running the show to tell me these things, and I am paying the instructor to do just that. So I rocked up to class a bit early one day with the following:

Towel, you usually need a towel, and if for some reason you don't, there are lockers to put extra stuff in.
    Water bottle
    Money, in case it cost extra
    Comfortable gym clothes - I like tights to go past the knees to prevent chaffing, and I like a slightly fitted top that won't restrict movement
    Supportive shoes

I asked the people at reception where to go, what to bring etc and I think they swapped my keys for a key to a locker, and gave me a token for the class. I also had to hire a yoga mat.

It also really helps if you can go with your friend, but if you can't get a hold of her, don't let that stop you!

If you are worried that the trainer or the people at reception will think you're stupid for asking the things you want to ask, you can go right on ahead and think they are ridiculous for not realising it is their JOB to tell you and assist you as a newbie. (at least this line helps me...haha)
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    I've honestly never gone to a class at a gym, because by the time I got up my courage to go the freaking thing went out of business. I went to one held in the wrestling room of my kid's school once, and that was actually a lot of fun...

Yes, you should bring comfortable, flexible clothes (I do Yoga fairly often at home) and if you don't want to have to take off your socks they make yoga socks with toes and grippies on the bottom. I think the most important thing to bring is your sense of humor. If you go into it ready to laugh at your mistakes instead of getting frustrated, the class will smile and you'll be "in"...

Hope this helps! =D
  • chrissismone
    chrissismone Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    When I started my journey last year I was like so hype for Zumba. Oh I thought I was going to throw down. I was horridly insecure once I got there and I couldn't keep up. I am also not the very feminie type, I don't look it but I'm not.So after a few more classes I dropped out. Now after that I started bootcamp,piyo and then kickboxing.. That's when this chick here came all the way alive. I thrived in kickboxing and hit hard. I'm naturally a very aggressive type so punching things or air and thinking about past abuse or whatever is going wrong that day was mad helpful. My teachers were all awesome and were driven. I hate teachers who are soft not my thing. Piyo challenged me and I remember having missed a few weeks and then forgot to bring workout pants but I had been doing water aerobics so I had a dress in my gym bag. My teacher was like well I guess you better put that dress on and come on..

You have to put fear aside and at least try. If you like it then keep going and if not then you at least know you don't like it and can move on..
  • hassan26
    hassan26 Posts: 37
    Options
    You Should go. those classed can be really fun and help you shed cal so easy. and don't think about what others say. ppl are there for them self, 99% of the ppl in gyms are super nice and really willing to help you.
  • BreezyChristine
    Options
    I can completely relate. I see the hardcore regulars dripping in sweat leaving the classes and just don't want to feel like a fool. I'm at One Life, which was formerly Gold's. I think they may have the same Les Mills type classes, but not positive. To date, I've only taken two types of classes. One was the bootcamp class, which I left after 30 minutes. It was just too much for me when I started working out again. The other is CX WORX (sp?). If your gym offers this class, try it!! It's only 30 minutes, and it is made for all fitness levels. They provide all the equipment, even the mat. The classes are usually full of people from all fitness levels, men and women. One Saturday morning, there were at least three of the fitness instructors from the gym attending the class. It's a great core workout and can benefit everyone, plus it will help you relax and feel a little more comfortable about taking classes. Maybe you can chat with some other members after class and find a buddy to attend other classes with you!
    Don't forget your water bottle! I always sweat in this class!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Try a spin class-awesome. All you need to bring is a towel and H2O. Instructors will help you fit the bike to your comfort.

Love it and boy do you burn calories. The room is usually dark so no one is looking at you.

Enjoy
  • eatingmysandshoe
    Options
    Also, any good gym should tell you what level of fitness the class is aimed at, so that you know you'll be physically capable of it, even if you can''t quite follow the routine yet. Also, if you're shy about asking questions in person, why not just phone the reception and ask everything you need to know? Write down your questions/concerns first before you phone then you wont forget anything important to you. Some gyms have a buddy system too, where you can go along with someone more experienced, so maybe ask about the possibilities of that. Then just jump right in!
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I do the Les Mills classes at my gym and sometimes Zumba. I find them hugely motivating and burn way more than I would at the boring old gym, so I'd definately recommend them.

Don't be worried about what people think of you because most of the time, people are too busy worrying about what they look like/how to do the routine to be noticing you.

My gym provides everything we need, so it is just a case of bringing water but as others have said, it doesn't hurt to ask at your gym whether you need to bring anything for a class.

Certainly, the Les Mills classes are great for people of variable fitness. They usually offer options as do most Zumba instructors so you can take an easier option or a harder option depending on how fit you are. I've never been to a Yoga class but I have been to Body Balance and Pilates classes and those instructors also give different options depending on your level of flexability.
  • secoke
    secoke Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I can't really comment for zumba classes but I LOVE spin classes and I was always terrified of them. I think they are great too if you are just beginning because you don't have to make the resistance on your bike very high at first, and best of all, you are the only person that knows how hard that resistance is!

Typically instructors will ask if it is anyone's first class, when you tell them it is your first class they will help make sure your bike is properly set up. Once you know how to do it, it is super easy. Then they play some motivating music and yell at you while you sweat like crazy for an hour and hopefully you get addicted to the rush :)

I would say definitely bring a towel and water bottle, also I would recommend against pants, I always get too hot, capris usually work out fine.