Couch to 5K Program??

Options
I want to do the Couch to 5k Program, but don't think I am completely at couch level, so I don't want it to be too easy to start. Runners, I need tips: should I still do this program? Or is there a better way to go about it? I don't have very good endurance. I can do the elliptical for 30 minutes straight but this is pretty different from running.

Replies

• Matt253
    Matt253 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you would like good information on the Couch to 5K Training program, you can check out my blog for heaps of Couch to 5K training information at www.5ktainingschedules.com
  • shymetallicagrl
    shymetallicagrl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    just start from the beginning it will help you with your breathing and endurance...if week one is easy for you do week 2 the next time give it a try you have nothing to lose. im on week 3 and i run outside and this is my 3rd time doing it... i was a previous 2x drop out at week 4 and then at 7 :( i will finish this time good luch
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I am also trying the Couch to 5K for the first time. I completed Week 1 Day 1 today. It is going to be hard work, but I'd like to try and stick with it.
  • Degren
    Degren Posts: 80
    Options
    just start from the beginning it will help you with your breathing and endurance...if week one is easy for you do week 2 the next time give it a try you have nothing to lose. im on week 3 and i run outside and this is my 3rd time doing it... i was a previous 2x drop out at week 4 and then at 7 :( i will finish this time good luch

Agreed. If it is too easy, you can always advance a day or two in the program. Also, if it ever gets too hard, you can always repeat a day, or a week. There are no hard and fast rules, here. Any amount you can get your body moving is a good thing.
  • tanjonmom2
    Options
    :smile: I just completed the Couch to 5k today. I was working out previously and would not call myself a couch potatoe it works. I will be running my first 5k in two weeks since completing the program. I am going to continue adding minutes just like you do with couch to 5k and have races every two weeks through September some will be up to eight miles. Stick with it and as lots of people say if you have to repeat a week do it. I personally did not.
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I did the couch to 5k program. Did my 1st, 5k yesterday did well. i made it all the way sore muscles and feet but I made it. The program prepares you a little at a time especially with the breathing and moving effectively to be able to complete. Now I only walked no running for me yet.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    the c25k program is great for building up endurance but you also have to get your body acclimated to the shock. knee pain, shin splints, i.t. band injury, you name it, are all common running related pains. feel free to start where you are comfortable, but in my mind c25k is a great way to slowly get your body adjusted to the rigors of running. if you start out too fast, you may feel defeated or you may become injured. pace yourself, and if you need a program c25k is a great way to go.

best of luck!
  • kendralh78
    Options
    Me too!!! I just used my C25K app. Week 1 Day 1. It was perfect!
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    My week one, with c25k by zen labs, free, was five mins brisk walk, the intervals of 60 sec jog to 90 sec walk...for 20 mins and then a five min cool down. I could do it but it was a work out!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 5! I am no couch potato, been active with all kinds of fitness on and off for two years, very steady again for the past few months, but I am (or was) no runner! The program is working perfectly for me - started me slowly, keeps me going out 3 days a week with gradual increases in time running. No problem with shin splints or injury - I'm loving it!

Give it a try, as others have said, if the first week is too easy, bump up to the week that you think suits your abilities, and have fun!