Weightlifting alone at the gym...?

Options
MFPfriend
MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
Alright, so I'm a girl and I'd like to get back into weightlifting. My freshman year of high school, I was in the "sports kids" PE class and weightlifting was a required part of the class. I LOVED the way my arms looked back then. I loved how powerful I felt when I was squating 185 lbs, or cleaning 155. I want that feeling back.

But in this class, we all had a spotter. And we also had the teacher, who could easily lift weights off of us if we had problems.

I won't have a spotter at the gym. None of my friends or family attend my gym (the few that do aren't interested in weightlifting). I REALLLLLLLY want to get back into weightlifting, though.

Should I do it without a spotter? I'm not old by any means, but 9th grade was still a long time ago, and I'm definitely afraid of using incorrect form or something, and consequently injuring myself. I could ask somebody at the gym, but I'm way too nervous. I hate bothering people, especially for something where they would have to stick around and help me all the way through.

Any advice? Should I just watch some videos, look at some picture, to make sure I have good form, and then go by myself? Or should I try something else and just forget about weightlifting?

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    If it is your first time back in the gym I suggest you get a trainer for a couple of sessions to help you put a programme together, help you benchmark your weights and give some advice on form......

After that you hopefully have more confidence to then go at it on your own.... I definitely also push more when I am working with my trainer as he pushes my limits - but I also know he is there to spot me.....that should not stop you from lifting - I still do 3 sessions a week without my trainer (with slightly lighter weights)
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I assume you are using free weights? If so then NO, I would not train without a spotter, it can get really dangerous to do so, I know most things will be fine but if you really ramp up the weight its only sensible to have a spotter.
    Can you do the heavier ones on a machine? Maybe that could be a compromise if you can't get a spotter, the other alternative is maybe you could ask one of the staff members at the gym to spot when you are doing the heavy weights.
    I hope you find an answer to the problem!
  • littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice when it comes to benchpressing (I'm still working on lifting the bar itself, lol) but when it comes to doing squats, I do them in the squat rack. Not the smith machine (though perhaps that could work for benching?) but similar - same sort of cage structure, bar catches if you happen to fall, yet the bar itself is free.

Other than that I've never had a spotter at the gym, as the exercises and lifts I do don't require one.
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    If it is your first time back in the gym I suggest you get a trainer for a couple of sessions to help you put a programme together, help you benchmark your weights and give some advice on form......
    Unfortunately, it's not my first time back at the gym. I've already used my free training sessions and paying for them is not in my budget (I can barely afford the gym membership as it is).

I assume you are using free weights? If so then NO, I would not train without a spotter, it can get really dangerous to do so, I know most things will be fine but if you really ramp up the weight its only sensible to have a spotter.
    Yeah, I'm talking about free weights. If there's a power rack, do you think I'd be okay for squats and bench press, then find something else for my arms (a machine, maybe)?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Set yourself up with a beginner program that involves more reps, like 10-12, so that you are using lighter weights and there will be little danger. Stop as soon as you start to lose form.

Dumbbells can be used to create safer versions of exercises such as skullcrushers or anything else that would be obviously dangerous.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    A power rack is fine for squats without a spotter.

For benching, you'll not be able to go for very heavy weights, like less than 8 reps without a spotter. Don't put the collars on the bar, and you won't get stuck.

Edit to add, I'm assuming you're just without a spotter, rather than in a completely desolate gym
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    Set yourself up with a beginner program that involves more reps, like 10-12, so that you are using lighter weights and there will be little danger. Stop as soon as you start to lose form.

Dumbbells can be used to create safer versions of exercises such as skullcrushers or anything else that would be obviously dangerous.

I was going to use my plan from high school, which used 12 reps. I like the idea of stopping once I lose form. It's a good idea. I need to make sure my form is correct first, though.

I definitely need to check out my gym's free weight room to see what they have. I'm assuming they have power racks (squat racks) and plenty of mirrors, but assumptions are never good things, haha.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    My gym has 0 power racks.

I went to another yesterday morning, they didn't even have a squat rack. They all have plenty of exercise to music and vibro plates though.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Any advice? Should I just watch some videos, look at some picture, to make sure I have good form, and then go by myself? Or should I try something else and just forget about weightlifting?

my favorite go to site for exercises.
    http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem myself---No spotter, no workout buddies to help.

I mainly stick to the machines and avoid any weight lifting that requires a spotter--using dumbells, bench press (w/dumbell), etc.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i always work out without a spotter and i lift close to my max weight and i never have problems. you can use lighter weights but you wont really see the results you want, just saying...

for lower body you will want to use a squat rack and smith machine where you dont have to worry about using upper body strength to lift the bar over your head

for chest there are benches with cage things around them where you can set up your weights. when i'm lifting near and at my max for bench press i always put the collars on because one shoulder is being rehabbed so it's much weaker than the other one.

for the rest of my upper body (bicep curls, upper back, triceps) i either use dumbbells that can be dropped or the cable machine (the one where you can adjust the heights)

for cleans, snatches, push press and other explosive movements you definitely want to to get some instruction on form and practice with light weights before you add anything even close to to 50% of the 1 rep max.

also check out new rules of lifting for women. it's a great book with tons of info on strength and muscle building
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I've been using this program http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html & am on week 2, it is very easy to follow & after a week I am noticing a definite improvement in my general physique. previously I was using vipr & kettlebell (which I still love) but wanted a more structured program that wasn't too scary for a weightlifting beginner like me. None of the exercise so far require a spotter & the website has alternates if you don't feel confident using the suggested set at first. This site has lots of other suggestions for sets & routine if you have different work out plans.

Otherwise look out for a trainer when you are working out then ask them to spot for you. Last week at the gym starting this program I had one go through all the exercises for me giving stance tips etc. Not sure about your gym but ours has a sign saying if you need advice or help, ask a trainer. No need to pay extra for a couple of minute of their assistance & who knows, after a while you might see the same people working out & get a spot buddy that way. Good luck with it.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    No to smith machine!

Racks are fine for any level. I would trust them before a spotter anyway for squats.

My only real spotter need is for bench (maybe overhead press) and its perfectly acceptable to ask anyone around you for a spot. You'll often find that the person you ask was too shy as well and might ask for a spot in return.
  • Chadwick891
    Chadwick891 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about needing a spotter due to safety (dropping the weight on yourself, for instance) then don't do exercises that require that much support.

for e.g.
    Instead of using a barbell chest press, use two dumbbells
    Instead of using a barbell loaded with weights for squats, use a hack squat machine
    Instead of using an incline leg press, use a forward push leg press

I could recommend you to this workout plan if you're interested. It's highly successful and has allowed me to lose some of the 40lb I dropped in 10 weeks of clean diet and hard training.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer-week-1.html

Spotters are not essential for great personal development.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I work out alone, typically alone in the gym since I work out at midnight or 1:00am, so I have to be careful with benching. However, I can't think of any other exercise where a spotter is a must for going heavy. Just learn when to stop and not go for that one extra rep. Worse case scenario, learn how to roll the barbell off if you can't lift it....I've done it more than once lol. But seriously, the only other exercise that might require a spot is squats, but then again asking a stranger to spot you correctly is a little awkward. However, with a power rack you'll have a way out, so you can work out alone.

If all else fails, ask a fellow lifter or employee for a spot.
  • CherylPierce
    CherylPierce Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've worked out alone for years and always ask other "lifters" for a spot. Just spend a little time observing and you'll see who knows what they're doing and who does not.