Do you log/count when you're REALLY sick?

Options
I have been at maintance for many months and doing fine there. Just came back from a 10 day vacation with limited gym access and different eating. I managed to maintain under those circumstances too. However, I came home sicker than I ever remember being and after a trip to the doctor learned that I have a double ear infection, a sinus infection and bronchitis. I am now on a high powered antibiotic, 800 mg of ibuprofen, steroids, cough medicine with codeine and a prescription cough suppresant in a pill form. My appetite is not that great. I was told to stay away from the gym for at least one week (I usually do 30 min of cardio and 30 min of weights 5 days per week).

I'm drinking more of my calories (OJ and ginger ale), eating toast and homemade soup. I know your body expends a lot of energy to get well when it is sick. I do not want to lose any weight or deprive my body of what it needs to heal. Should I even be trying to count calories at this time or just give my body what it needs? I'm afraid with the lack of appetite that I will be eating in a deficit, which I don't want to do. Also, OJ and ginger ale aren't exactly packed with nutrients.

What does everyone else do when they are sick?

Replies

• pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Try also eating soft boiled eggs and 'soldiers' - comfort food.

Milk/yoghurt is good when you're sick too

Just eat light and nutritious and drink your fruit juice!
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Yes, I count them (add into MFP) but I don't restrict them. You need to keep up your strength when you're fighting an infection, so switch it up to maintenance mode and ABSOLUTELY don't exercise if you don't feel up to it.
  • Annaflower
    Options
    Be good to yourself while you are I'll. Focus on getting better. If you don't feel like eating then maybe try some high calorie smoothies. Ice cream, peanut butter, banana, full fat yoghurt, honey and lots of fruits for the vitamins. Also make sure you keep your fluids up. But don't panic as anything you loose when you ar sick will be replaced once you are better and eating normally again.

Hope you feel well soon x
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've had a wicked cold/cough/nose thing for the past 2+weeks. I've only logged on days that I've felt up to it, I haven't really been able to walk and comfort food is my only comfort at the moment so I'm not resistricting that!