How the heck do you guys do it?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I had running gait assessment and bought appropriate trainers. Made a massive difference.
  • Deyoge
    Deyoge Posts: 7
    Options
    I wait until the soreness goes away. If that means 4 days of rest then I take 4 days. I take the advice I get from a competitive bodybuilder and he knows his stuff. Eventually the soreness will become less sore as your muscles become stronger and the recovery time will be shorter and you will be able to push through the workouts harder and do more than you could the time before.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Thanks LindaLou, I saw those videos and that may be a great choice to have as my main source of cardio. It is hard to explain to people that you are too out of shape to do a lot of exercises. But I want this bad enough to get through it.

Thank you for the great answers, everyone! It amazes me how awesomely helpful everyone is on these boards.
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    You just do it!! I work out 5-6 days a week, and personally love the feeling I get from working out, both mentally & physically. Plus, an added bonus is when you work out you can have an occasional "cheat day" and have some wiggle room calorie-wise.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you do yoga. You can work your way into a very rigorous work out. The stretching helps with soreness. Keep at it. The more often the better. You can do it. Friend me if you would like my support:laugh:
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    My tip would be find something short - Kettleworx is highly rated, along with 30 Day Shred - 20 - 25 mins work out time is not a lot and can be done at home.

Re the pain of muscle aching for good reasons, I push through and ignore it, only hard times are walking stairs and hills at Uni (in the Welsh valleys) where I find my legs wobbled around a bit for the first few days of 30 Day shred but settled after that.

I can see / feel strength I didn't have before and that motivates me... I keep a diary on my computer too where I write down what I've done, how I felt about it and where I can improve or saw improvements. Along with all my measurements. I find it really helps as motivation if I feel nothing is changing.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • MenaMena
    MenaMena Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I started this in December at 323 pounds and although I am on my feet most of the day at work beyond that no exercise. I made a plan to do at least 30 minutes of aerobics 6 days and week and lift weights 3 days a week. I expected it to be difficult and it was/is but once I put a goal in writing it is pretty much a done deal. Just stubborn that way.

The first day, I thought I would have to dial 911 for assistance. I wondered if perhaps, I had set my goals too high but I survived and didn't have to call. I was stiff and achy the next day and learned the value of stretching and water and IcyHot :wink: . Each day it got it a little easier and I began to realize that if I get push through the pain there is a "groove" on the other side that is addicting. I don't know how to describe it but you push hard and then there is this place where you feel like you can walk, run, dance forever.

Today, no matter what else is happening, I will find a way to move, to get to that place and hit that groove. Any pain that I may endure is out weighed by the sense of pride I feel in what I have accomplished.

I am 53 years old and I have finally decided to put me on my list of goals. How do I do it? Really, how can I not. I am so worth the pain.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Menamena! I really do enjoy working out. Love the challenge. From everyone's posts, I think what is going to help me the most is figuring out a more harmonious schedule of working out. Balance my cardio and strength training better.

And most of all, JUST KEEP AT IT!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Try protein after you've worked out - it's not a miracle cure but it does help with muscle recovery.
    This works for sure. It will cut my soreness back 50-75% easy! Especially if you get the protein in your system within 40 minutes post workout. Beef jerky, protein shake, can of tuna, handful of almonds or whatever.
  • nkosky
    nkosky Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you do yoga. You can work your way into a very rigorous work out. The stretching helps with soreness. Keep at it. The more often the better. You can do it. Friend me if you would like my support:laugh:

I agree!! I started doing Yoga to help with the soreness and for stretching!! Works wonders!!
  • nkosky
    nkosky Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Mena! You are so inspiring!! Now I know why I "friended" you!! My husband even gets to hear what you say!! :happy:

Hope you're having a wonderful Sunday!!