Zumba for Wii

Options
sdtjwp
sdtjwp Posts: 28 Member
Hey everyone! I am doing Zumba with the Wii for the majority of my exercise and i was wondering if you have had troubles with the bar picking up your movement? I am having a heck of a time with it, especially with the cool down song.

Also, how do you unlock the other segments within the various programs? Like if I go to Zumba Class and Beginner Work Out 1, there are several options, but at this time, I can only do one! Any ideas??

I really enjoy doing Zumba and think that it is a great all around exercise program! Besides advice for the above items, I would love to hear about some success stories from doing this program. i usually do it 5 or more times a week! Thanks!

Replies

• doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am not a fan of Wii Zumba. I found it to be wasted investment.

If you enjoy Zumba, I recommend the DVD collection. Much better money spent!

Good luck!
  • PopePopsicleIV
    Options
    Oh I do love Zumba! I've had a lot of trouble with the bar picking up what I'm doing, but its mostly because the belt they give you never stays on my hips, it always tries to be cool and slides up onto my waist. Not sure if you're having the same problem, But I found that putting it on tighter and a bit lower on your hips helps a lot.
    I'm not super sure how to unlock things though, as I've only been playing for a little while. But I'd try exploring all of the options. Like with other games you never know where an acheivement might be hiding :]
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have the wii Zumba, too. I use it 2 or 3 times per week. I have noticed that it's a bit iffy on what it picks up and what it doesn't, but for me that isn't a big concern since I know I'm doing the work anyway. Do you have Zumba or Zumba 2? I've noticed Zumba 2 is a little better in that regard. I'd like to get some sort of Zumba dvd and see how different that is, but the only tv in the house that is in a place with enough room to do it doesn't have a dvd player.
  • SewSista
    SewSista Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. sometimes if you are too far away from the bar, it cannot pick up your movements. Try adjusting your position in the room and get a little closer if you can. I hope this helps.
  • sdtjwp
    Options
    Thanks for the comments so far! i have the 1st Zumba right now. I figured that I could master these moves and then maybe I could ask for it for my Birthday! :-)

I have been putting the belt on my waist...maybe that is a big problem. I am going to try putting it lower on my hips. Thanks!
  • sdtjwp
    Options
    By the way, if anyone wants to friend me, I am always looking to find more friends to help and help me in this process! :-)
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues with it picking up my movements but I don't let it bother me... as long as I am doing it. You unlock other stuff by scoring High I think,,, and doing all the ones that are open to you. I actually love the game and feel that it is an awesome workout. I do not have the actual dvds but I bet they rock too!! I saw someone say it was a waste of money... I have to disagree the game ROCKS!!! and it is sooo much cheaper!
  • maria9274
    maria9274 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the Zumba for Wii too, I've noticed that if the controller in the belt is with the power button towards the bottom the bar doesn't pick up as when it's towards the top. So if you put it in your belt that way, try flipping it and see if it picks it up better. It improved greatly for me once I figured that out :)
  • kristib726
    kristib726 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Zumba Fitness 2 for the Wii. I have both editions (as well as the DVD's) and Zumba Fitness 2 corrected a lot of issues that the first release had and I haven't had any issues with it picking up my movements. You might also want to take a look at where your sensor bar is placed in terms of height. I'm 5'9 and the section of my media center that holds the sensor bar is at the perfect hip height.

Hope that helps!

Kris
  • Drendren
    Drendren Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba 2 for Wii steadily for about 3 weeks now, and loving it. True story: When I was first getting the feel of it, I couldn't figure out why none of my moves were picking up. Turns out I had the controller in the belt upside down. DOH!
    I don't know if Zumba 2 is more sensitive, but it seems to pick up fairly well for me. When its not picking up, I blame it on low batteries. Of course, I assume its working perfectly when it DOES pick up! :-) I wear the belt somewhere around my hip area. It seems to be looking for up/down movements, rather than back and forth - I can jog in place when the game's instructor is hopping on one foot, for example, and it picks it up as following the steps. I also am working in a fairly small room, so I'm close to the TV. I notice that the Wii controllers don't have a huge range.
    Zumba 2 has 'real' instructors, rather than just the shadowy outlines. I'm finding it really easy to pick up the moves just by doing a routine, rather than taking the time to go through the 'learn the steps' process. I believe that all songs are unlocked right from the start, which is great. The bonuses earned are things like behind-the-scenes info on the making of the game, and awards.
    Have fun!!
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba 2 for Wii steadily for about 3 weeks now, and loving it. True story: When I was first getting the feel of it, I couldn't figure out why none of my moves were picking up. Turns out I had the controller in the belt upside down. DOH!
    I don't know if Zumba 2 is more sensitive, but it seems to pick up fairly well for me. When its not picking up, I blame it on low batteries. Of course, I assume its working perfectly when it DOES pick up! :-) I wear the belt somewhere around my hip area. It seems to be looking for up/down movements, rather than back and forth - I can jog in place when the game's instructor is hopping on one foot, for example, and it picks it up as following the steps. I also am working in a fairly small room, so I'm close to the TV. I notice that the Wii controllers don't have a huge range.
    Zumba 2 has 'real' instructors, rather than just the shadowy outlines. I'm finding it really easy to pick up the moves just by doing a routine, rather than taking the time to go through the 'learn the steps' process. I believe that all songs are unlocked right from the start, which is great. The bonuses earned are things like behind-the-scenes info on the making of the game, and awards.
    Have fun!!

I've read this review more than once when checking on it (before purchase) on other sites. People reviews for Zumba 2 said that they (the makers) really took complaints, suggestions, etc into consideration with this next one and it's a H3ll of alot better than the first one.

For that reason (and the fact that I could never get co-ordinated enough for the first one) :bigsmile: I ordered the 2nd one and I can't wait for it to get here!!!
  • allana3uk
    allana3uk Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Zumba 2 truly is much, much better than the original game. I used to go to classes until they got totally oversubscribed (no way could I arrive 20 minutes early and queue for a chance to get into the class!) and zumba 2 works me as hard as a class did. I've actually burned more calories according to my HRM at home since I'm not dodging other people's flailing arms...
  • helpmelose2011
    helpmelose2011 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just bought Zumba for wii on Saturday and absolutely love it! I did notice if you are using the sensor that comes with your wii that it lacks in picking up but wii recently came out with a wireless sensor that can pick up a wider area. I got this too ($15) and it works great! I do Zumba classes twice a week but doing this full force got me sweating as much in 20 mins as the class does in 60. I dont think it's a wasted investment - your up moving and burning calories :)
  • Lianne1963
    Options
    I have Zumba 2 for Wii and I am loving it. I was having problems with the sensor picking up the moves even though I was sure I was doing them properly (and sweating like a pig!) until this morning. The instructions tell you to place the controller facing out with the belt on your hip. What they DON'T tell you is that the controller needs to be "up" in other words, the + part of the controller at the top and the strap at the bottom. I put it on that way this morning and BANG! ZUMBA!!!! I know I was still getting the exercise I needed but it's nice to see the results on screen. It's also showing way more calories burned because it's actually picking up my moves now. If your controller isn't picking up your moves, try changing the orientation, it worked for me!