SORE SHIN

Options
hey all.

well iv just took 2 days out exercising because my left shin is so sore. its not like a normal muscle burn the pain is so acute!

just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how to help mend it while still being able to exercise??

i just went for a walk/jog on my treadmill and its killing me again.

Replies

• ebahde
    ebahde Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If it is what some people term as "shin splints" there could be a lot of causes. Have you started a new exercise routine? Gotten new shoes? Are your shoes really old and worn down? Are you favoring your left leg for any reason?
    Anyway the real point is that its hard to give any sort of medical advice through the internet because there is so much unknown, and also most people aren't qualified to give that kind of advice anyway (IMO).

If its hasn't gotten any better by tomorrow you could see if there are any places in your area that do "complimentary injury screens." I work for a physical therapy company in the Chicago area and we offer them at all of our clinics (and so do most of our bigger competitors) so you could look for something like this. You can also look to see if there are any specialty running stores that have a Podiatrist that comes and does free screenings once a month or something like that. I work with a Podiatrist here that does free injury screens at 3 different running stores once a month as well as in his office one day a week. I hope this is helpful
  • dtpss188
    dtpss188 Posts: 85
    Options
    Good points made by the last person. True, you can't be sure about causes "though the internet." But, I would recommend that you stretch your CALVES daily - both of them. There is mimimal chance of doing anything bad by calf stretching and huge chance that you will help your problem. You need stay regular with it and be patient.

May want to see your doc if this continues to get worse and more debilitating. PT referral would likely come from the doc visit. Til then, STRETCH YOUR CALF muscles.
  • eleslie1989
    eleslie1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    only thing iv changed is i started jillian michaels 30 day shred but iv not done that for 3 days,

thankyou for your suggestions ill look into it