looking at the scale

Options
I hate getting on the scale, and especially when I don't see it move a whole lot. It discourages me a little, but I know it takes time. I have been dieting for a month or so almost and have lost 8 pounds and I guess that is a good start, but it seemed like it was all at once in the beginning. Honestly it puts me in a foul mood lol. :grumble: :sad:
Just thought I'd vent a little to you people.....
I know it takes time and I am NOT giving up this time!

Replies

• blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I hate getting on the scale, and especially when I don't see it move a whole lot. It discourages me a little, but I know it takes time. I have been dieting for a month or so almost and have lost 8 pounds and I guess that is a good start, but it seemed like it was all at once in the beginning. Honestly it puts me in a foul mood lol. :grumble: :sad:
    Just thought I'd vent a little to you people.....
    I know it takes time and I am NOT giving up this time!
  • AZWildcatnNC
    AZWildcatnNC Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I understand, but you've got the right attitude-keep at it. If you've been working on it the past month, you're still averaging over 2 lbs per week - those are great results :drinker:
  • momof10
    momof10 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    hello the past two mths most of the time i thought i have been doing good but the scale goes between 220 216 i am glad it hasn't gone up but i would love to see it go down i join this site a week ago and now i watching and loging so i hope this will be better been on a not moving scale toooo long hope everyone has a nice day debbie
  • blondie_girl14
    Options
    I was at 230 a while ago, I've gained and lost gained and lost and I cant seem to budge past 220! I have to lose weight because I eat healthy and exercise at least 4-5 days a week!
    I just have to have some patience.
    :explode:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I think 8/10 pounds is great for one month. It took me over 2 months to do that.

If you really feel like it isn't moving after another couple of weeks seek out the advice of some of our really knowledgeable people. They are easy to spot. :flowerforyou: You can also read some of the archived threads. I have found that before posting a question if I go the the Search button I can find many answers there. (metabolic resistance, eating exercise calories, nutrisweet, thyroid, etc)
  • borac
    borac Posts: 174
    Options
    I hear' ya.. I'm ready to scream and cry and puch something.. or even give up.
    Don't get me wrong this is not something i have been doing for a month or two now and ready to give up.. no .. I have been working out etc since 2006 and I have lost 30 lbs on my own.
    Than in 2007 i have joined WW and in one year i have lost 30 more lbs.. so I was down form 285 to, 221..
    And in i don't know how many months of EVERYTHING tried, i was not able to pass the 220.. nothing nothing ..and again nothing has worke, i just wanted to see it finally show the 219 even for second..
    but it didnt' happen, after few months of no results i have stopped ww . and in a matter of .. 2-3 months
    i went up to 245 again!
    So.. 1/1/09 i decided to get serious again, and now i'm down to 232.. and i just can't pass the 230 , for 2 months now.. i just cant come down to the 229 ..

I'm getting frustrated, angry.. I don't know why is it so hard, with all my workouts.. and efforts
    WTF?

I'm sorry for my language.. but today i'm just angry and sad.. i want to cry .. i'm very very discouraged at this point.. shouldn't the scale at leaste cooperate a little bit with me ????

:mad: :ohwell: :cry:
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    I know it sounds crazy but don't step on the scale.
    I obsess about the damn thing and I feel better now that I deceided to step on it once a month. Track your food and excersice. Let your loose fitting clothes and the way you feel tell you how your progressing along with an "Occasional" trip to that damn scale.

:drinker:
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,858 Member
    Options
    :explode:
    I am a recovering scale addict. My scale's battery went out 2 weeks ago and I was out of town for a week. When I came back home I chose not to replace the scale battery.
    As you said...that damn thing... I hate it, I love it.

For the past 2 weeks I have been enjoying my food and probably not eating right. Today I decided to start to track my food and exercise (again).

I agree with weighing yourself once a week (if you really need to); or even once a month. I'm going to try to enjoy life instead of focusing on every pound I am up or down. As Spyguy said...I feel better not knowing my number of the day. And the last time I stepped on the scale the number was fine.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Have you been tracking your measurements? Those are a much better indicator of your progress. I would recommend taking your measurements about once a month and not even weighing yourself, especially if your getting frustrated with your progress.

Additionally, try changing up your cardio and strength training routines. Your body can adapt in 4-6 weeks so they become less effective, stalling weight loss. Self.com has good at home strength training routines.
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,858 Member
    Options
    I agree that the number on the scale is'nt a good indicator of progress...but seeing the number is very adicting. I'm not frustrated with my progress as I am at my goal weight, I'm afraid of gaining the 70# that I have lost over the last 7 years. I \'ve weighed myself daily (pretty much) for the last 7 years. The last couple of years I havent needed too...but I considered it a way to help maintain my weight loss. But I am tooo adicted to it.

I have my measurements and since loosing my scale I have been measuring my waist faithfully every morning. I know what my hips, thighs and bicip measurements are. So, I guess I may be trading in one adiction for another but, the tape measurer is much more forgiving!

I haven't stepped on the scale, which is challenge for me. My plan was to see what the number said on Thursday and then stay off of it for 2 more weeks. I haste the scale, I love the scale..I guess I am trying to work on my inner thoughts and trust. I'm trying to believe in myself that I know how to maintain my weight without some machine.
  • blondie_girl14
    Options
    I know it sounds crazy but don't step on the scale.
    I obsess about the damn thing and I feel better now that I deceided to step on it once a month. Track your food and excersice. Let your loose fitting clothes and the way you feel tell you how your progressing along with an "Occasional" trip to that damn scale.

:drinker:

I totally agree, and I try not to step on it as much...I hate the damn scale!!:mad:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    The scale is Satan! burn it, throw it away, don't look at it ever again!

LOL.

Seriously though, it's a tool, and not a very accurate one. Use it once a month to check your accuracy, then put it away. Don't count on it as your ONLY means of tracking progress, it isn't a very good indicator of your total health.
  • lose2cruise
    lose2cruise Posts: 107
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. If I don't I can really get out of control.

I consider what I am doing a lifestyle change. I'll be doing this for the rest of my life. If I get off track one day, back on the next day. I know it is a constant battle, especially in the 50's. But getting into a size 10 again after I don't know how many years, keeps me going.

Good luck with your journey.

Also, there is an excellent article called "Why the scale lies". Just google it. Really makes alot of sense and won't make you feel so bad.