No weight loss because of WATER????

Options
Could consistently not drinking enough water cause a plateau in weight loss?

Replies

• forest0spirit555
    forest0spirit555 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    No. But not eating enough could. And it's just good for your entire body to stay hydrated, it helps everything stay healthier.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    No. As cmriverside says, its good to stay properly hydrated but it will not prevent you from losing weight if you are in a clorie deficit.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    While it won't stop fat loss, if you don't consume enough fluid you could retain water especially if you eat a lot of sodium.
  • forest0spirit555
    Options
    strange. Because other than not drinking enough water my diet and exercise have been relatively good. This appears to be the only "change" in my routine. And I am eating enough. I shoot for 1400 calories a day.
  • forest0spirit555
    Options
    While it won't stop fat loss, if you don't consume enough fluid you could retain water especially if you eat a lot of sodium.

that may be the problem then
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    Try drinking the recommended amount of water for a week. See if it helps get your weight loss going again. I know if I don't drink at least 64oz a day my body just doesn't want to work right.
  • anarose13
    anarose13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    yes because your body needs the intake of water to flush out your system and keep your muscles energized.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Yes....I retain water very easily, so I drink a minimum of 1 gallon per day...If I don't drink enough pure WATER, then I will gain...
  • forest0spirit555
    Options
    Try drinking the recommended amount of water for a week. See if it helps get your weight loss going again. I know if I don't drink at least 64oz a day my body just doesn't want to work right.

same. I don't know why all of a sudden I dropped off with my water but I have been lethargic since then and have noticed the pause in weight loss. I think it may be weirdly related...
  • anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's not actually causing you to *not* lose weight in most cases.... However, it can DEFINITELY mask weight loss.

Case in point: The week prior to my "time of month" and the first days during, it always LOOKS like the scale is stuck, even a small gain sometimes...but as soon as that week or so passes, WHOOSH goes the weight..so, in that case, water retention most definitely is causing the scale to show no weight loss...but in essence it's just masking the weight loss.

So, if you are not drinking enough water, and your body is retaining it....yes, it is a possibility that the scale could seem to be showing a "plateau" of some sort. Increase your water, wait a day or two, and if you have actually lost, it should reflect that once your body is hydrated and not retaining excess water.