How would you count the weird calories?

Options
radosti1
radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
So, I just had an epiphany today. I have eastern european eating habits, I am from Ukraine. When I eat chicken, lets say, I log Boiled Chicken Quarter, leg and thigh, 190 cals. Well, while that is correct for a person who eats the meat and throws away the rest, it is off for me. I eat the meat, then eat the cartilage and chew on the bones to get the bone marrow (which may sound weird, but it's my favorite part). When I make beef soup/stew, I use knuckle soup bones for the brothy flavor, but I then chew on the bones too. And marrow has a lot of fat and is calorie dense. And I never log it. Other food, I've been able to find somewhere online. Some, I've been able to find reasonable substitutions. But how do you log something that is not listed anywhere?

Replies

• tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Find out how many calories are in the marrow and add it to the database, I guess?
  • radosti1
    radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    That's the thing, I've been searching. No-one has really talked about calorie content in chicken bone marrow online. I've read about cooking with chicken bones, how great the taste is, but not the caloric content. Beef marrow is listed, but it's a completely different thing.
  • rburstein
    Options
    I would just add an appropriate amount to the meat -- if I ate 1 chicken breast - count it as 1.25 - then you add calories and probably just a good guess...