Weight Watchers?

Options
Anyone here using Weight Watchers? I am thinking about doing the online program. I had lost 100 pounds on my own in 10 months, but since October haven't lost anymore, and I fluctuate up and down 5 pounds. Most of it is totally ME. Like I don't always stick to my calories and I haven't been exercising as dedicatedly as I used to. So maybe a change up in plan will get me motivated again. I need to lose that last 20-30 pounds.
So who here likes the WW program?

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I have done Weight Watchers and didn't like it. I lost motivation really quickly. It was more complicated as you had to calculate points, etc. I don't like paying for it either so obviously I prefer free.

Personally the switch between things wouldn't motivate me if I had lost motivation even if I were paying for it... but that's me. I like this site the best. There are other free sites out there.

I don't like Weight Watchers and find it far too expensive for me.
  • seapard
    seapard Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers is the only thing that's historically worked for me. I've been doing MFP and using its nutrition calculators to input entries into a free app on my phone that calculates points plus. Having free reign to consume fruits and veggies helps me a lot. The app is called ultimate weight watchers diary. You pay $3 once.

Weight watchers online is pricey, but I'm not sure I could do the ww "cheat" without having been a member for a year. Either way, I've figured out a free way to do weight watchers and I'm losing weight again. So I'm happy.
  • 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I did WW and it worked well but it was so expensive and after a year and only losing 19lbs it wasn't for me. I found that the points were good but I lost most of my weight exercising and keeping track of points isn't much different than calories. If you really want to do it I suggest buying the books and then just using MFP for support because paying over 40+ a month to go to meetings is just dumb.
  • Willpowerofsteel
    Options
    I tried it but concluded that it's not worth the price. This site is easier to use and it's free! Also I like the control that you have here as to the speed at which you want to lose weight, how many calories you want to eat, etc. And on WW all fruit is 0 points - even bananas and dates, and I would "cheat" by eating quite a few servings of those!

The only thing I miss about WW is the weekly flex points, that is a brilliant idea and I wish other sites would have that option! Because some days it's easy to eat a diet low in calories, other days you want to splurge a little more. You can manually kind of do that on here but it's not built in.
  • gidgeclev
    gidgeclev Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The old weight watchers plan worked for me and I lost 2 1/2 stone. But then they changed it to the new plan which I followed to the letter and put on weight. WW new plan gives you (at the lowest level) about 1200 calories per day PLUS unlimited fruit and vegetables PLUS a weekly allowance PLUS exercise points. If you can lose weight at a satisfactory rate on over 1800 calories then do it, otherwise do not waste your money on such a ridiculous plan. I was very disappointed with WW after it had worked for me before that point. Also the inaccurate rubbish with no basis in science spouted by WW leaders will drive you mad.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers helped me lose my first 50 or so pounds. It also taught me to stop dieting and instead make real changes in my eating habits. Fnancial problems forced ne to give up Weight Watchers, but I still recommend it over Atkins, Nutrisystem and all the other diets and weight loss programs out there.
  • jendarlin
    jendarlin Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers helped me lose my first 50 or so pounds. It also taught me to stop dieting and instead make real changes in my eating habits.

^^This, but I much prefer calorie counting and myfitnesspal now. Plus..MFP is free :)
  • Carolinanancy
    Options
    Went to WW twice during last 15 years, lost weight but ended up gaining it back. Thought about rejoining but can't afford the $40.00 per month at this time. I am enjoying using this site. thanks for all your inputs.
  • NathanBanks3
    Options
    Here's the truth about weight watchers as I see it. I posted this when I joined several days ago.

I've tried Weight Watchers at least 3 times since 1990 but they only succeeded in making me hungry. Their boring meetings and constant talk about different delicious foods they sell with various pointless points just made me want to go out and eat. Also their planted stooge (there's at least one at every meeting) would constantly interrupt and make the boring meetings even more boring. I am very determined to lose more weight with some proper guidance and encouragement. The last thing I need is a pointless insulting points system. Points, by the way, are basically calories. In other words 1 point=approximately 100 calories. Because my profession deals with mathematics I read up on this and quickly concluded that the points system was nothing more than a money making gimmick.

Perhaps you will think twice about joining weight watchers because their main purpose is to take your money, gradually allow you to eat more points after you lose some weight and hope that you then rejoin and start again. If weight watchers was successful for the majority of people they would go out of business!
  • LPinTheD
    LPinTheD Posts: 129
    Options
    Here's the truth about weight watchers as I see it. I posted this when I joined several days ago.

I've tried Weight Watchers at least 3 times since 1990 but they only succeeded in making me hungry. Their boring meetings and constant talk about different delicious foods they sell with various pointless points just made me want to go out and eat. Also their planted stooge (there's at least one at every meeting) would constantly interrupt and make the boring meetings even more boring. I am very determined to lose more weight with some proper guidance and encouragement. The last thing I need is a pointless insulting points system. Points, by the way, are basically calories. In other words 1 point=approximately 100 calories. Because my profession deals with mathematics I read up on this and quickly concluded that the points system was nothing more than a money making gimmick.

Perhaps you will think twice about joining weight watchers because their main purpose is to take your money, gradually allow you to eat more points after you lose some weight and hope that you then rejoin and start again. If weight watchers was successful for the majority of people they would go out of business!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Why give WW your money for their gimmicky "points plan", when you can sign up here for free and learn how to eat right for life, and lose weight?
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers helped me lose my first 50 or so pounds. It also taught me to stop dieting and instead make real changes in my eating habits.

^^This, but I much prefer calorie counting and myfitnesspal now. Plus..MFP is free :)

Me too - I did Weight Watchers and found the points system confusing - especially since they change it so frequently. I prefer calorie counting. It is so much more straight forward. Plus, I find the community here much more motivating than any weight watchers meeting I ever attended.
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers in 2005 while in University and I lots 30 lbs in 5 months, and the things I learned from it have stuck with me since.

However, before I re-committed myself to MFP, I tried WW's new points program (the NEW new version), and I hated it. Before the points were intuitive - you knew if an item was in a multiple of 50 cal range (50,100,150 etc), with a healthy fat level (3 or 4 g/svg) and had some fibre to it, it would be a certain number of points. Not so, anymore. It made estimating points while out much more difficult, and they suddenly allowed fruit, when before only vegetables were "free".
    I've also read a review in the paper that because of that latter change, people aren't losing, because they're loading up on sugary fruits.

Honestly, MFP, though a little tedious at times, gives a much more straight forward approach to *watching what you eat* the fact that you can adjust your macros to the *style* of eating is a major plus, too.

I wouldn't waste your money.
  • lbigham1
    lbigham1 Posts: 132
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs on Weight Watchers (going to meetings) and was very happy with the results. Weight watchers teaches you how to accurately measure and portion your food (we often eat more than we think we are). I kept the weight off for about 4 years then I stopped paying as much attention to what and how much i was eating and gained back 15 lbs.

I have found that MFP gives you all of the same tools and support that WW online does without the cost. I am slowly loosing back that extra weight that i gained when I stopped paying attention. The thing to remeber that portion control is key in both programs. If you're not accurately counting your portions, you're not accurately recording you calories. :happy:
  • Rose_Oh
    Rose_Oh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers like any other diet plan will only work if we change our way of eating into a new lifestyle. No matter which diet we try, lose weight, and then go back to our old way of eating... we will gain the pounds back and more! I am speaking from experience. lol

Like someone above I bought the WW points plus calculator to figure the pts but am using MFP to keep track and report my weight. I love the Recipe option on here. Eating more veggies and fruit are healthy so I like that... WW is using psychology to get ppl to make better choices.

So far the WW plan is working for me... there is a ton of info online that unless you just want to be accountable to someone at weigh-in weekly there is no need to pay for the plan.

I am not hungry because when I run out of points for the day I just bulk up on veggies and fruit. Surprisingly, my calories are only around/under 1200 each day.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I did WW and regular gym/exercise and lost about 35 pounds. Then WW went to the "ignorant" (my opinion - hope it works for you though) Points Plus system and I could no longer easily figure out points in my head (I am engineer and good with math). So - I switched to MFP and started counting calories. MFP is soooo much easier than WW Points Plus system...like huge easier...and sooo much better at tracking exercise!!!

I am down 6 pounds more since starting MFP, but the extra 6 pounds lost might have something to do with being on day 41 of Insanity.
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs with WW online. After they switched to the new program I haven't been able to lose weight at all with the program. My WW membership ends at the end of March and I will not be renewing. I think if you've lost 100 lbs in 10 months you can do it w/out WW. I also think your body is probably starting to hold on to weight for the moment because you've lost a lot of weight really fast. It took me almost 2 yrs to lose 40 lbs. I coudn't imagine losing 100 lbs.

Congrats on your success though!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Aren't we all weight watchers? I mean, that's the reason we joined this site, right?
  • LosingMyselfin2011
    LosingMyselfin2011 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the advice and experiences! I think for now I will save my money. Maybe I'll see what I can find for FREE about it online. lol
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do not like weight watchers. I find that the points are not overly realistic with the amount of calories one should be eating. For example, a wendy's chicken burger is only 12 points and I was supposed to eat 38 points a day. One burger is almost 700 calories, fries 400 calories etc. In that one meal, I've eaten almost all of my daily calorie intake!

38 points is way to much to eat. Yogurts, pudding, whole wheat everything adds up and the calorie intake could be around 2000 calories a day!

I like this site, it keeps me focused and on track.
  • jem33199
    jem33199 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am a member of Weight Watchers and MFP. I think you'll make your decision based on what you need.

At Weight Watchers:
    1. Everyone that works there is a real member of Weight Watchers that has lost weight and kept it off.
    2. You get support from real, live human beings. I love seeing the changes in folks and cheering on their success.
    3. It is based on sound, healthy principles - drink water, consume healthy fat, take a multivitamin, eat your fruits/veggies/whole grains/lean proteins, exercise and practice sound mental/emotional tactics.

Someone said earlier that there is a "planted stooge" in every meeting. I found that hlarious and patently untrue. I'm fine if folks don't like WW - no program works for everyone - but there isn't a reason to lie.

I love lots of things about MFP but I won't list them here - you all probably know what those are because you experience them yourselves!

Be healthy!