How Much Protein Right After A Workout?

Options
Mskraizy
Mskraizy Posts: 138 Member
Just wondering. i read somewhere on here that you're supposed to eat alot of protein within an hour of your workout, but the most I ever eat is peanut butter crackers and they contain maybe 8-10 grams of protein in them. How important is it to eat right after working out anyways? Will it do me any setbacks or anything? Just curious.

Replies

• poolside1
    Options
    Just wondering. i read somewhere on here that you're supposed to eat alot of protein within an hour of your workout, but the most I ever eat is peanut butter crackers and they contain maybe 8-10 grams of protein in them. How important is it to eat right after working out anyways? Will it do me any setbacks or anything? Just curious.
    Protein shake as soon as I finish strength part of my workout
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    There are differing opionions on this one but most of the research says it really doesn't matter when you ingest the protein within a 24 hour period. I usually work out first thing in the morning and I have not eaten more than 1/2 a banana. I drink a protein shake with 48 grams of protein and 8 I think grams of carb right after. I then do not ingest any more carbs for 2 hours. The theory on the no carbs for 2 hours being that it kick up insulin which interfere with the production of HGH. Maybe, maybe not but that's how I do it and it works for me. So, when I have the shake, it is my first feed of the day and I'm rehydrating. The protein helps muscle growth and recovery. According to the highly respected nutritionist Lyle McDonald, the timing is farr less important than jsut ingesting it within 24 hours. He calls the one hour or 30 minute window a myth.