ASHAMED TO ADMIT IT

Options
This may very well be disgusting but I admit to doing it from time to time. Just want to know what opinions are. I admit to eating some foods that I shouldn't eat like a mini cupcake or a piece of chocolate and chewing it but spiting it out. I am a chocoholic and I just like eating it but know I shouldn't so I spit it out instead of swallowing. Now should I enter it in my calories or not. Do you think that it is a totally bad behavior that will ultimately hinder what I am doing. I know that I shouldn't but it is hard for me to say no to those foods sometimes. FYI I only do that a couple times a week. Is there anyone else that has done this.

Replies

• jennlos
    jennlos Posts: 200
    Options
    This may very well be disgusting but I admit to doing it from time to time. Just want to know what opinions are. I admit to eating some foods that I shouldn't eat like a mini cupcake or a piece of chocolate and chewing it but spiting it out. I am a chocoholic and I just like eating it but know I shouldn't so I spit it out instead of swallowing. Now should I enter it in my calories or not. Do you think that it is a totally bad behavior that will ultimately hinder what I am doing. I know that I shouldn't but it is hard for me to say no to those foods sometimes. FYI I only do that a couple times a week. Is there anyone else that has done this.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Sounds a lot like an eating disorder.
    Wouldn't you be better off to eat a Hershey's kiss at 20-couple calories and not sweat it?
  • christy559
    christy559 Posts: 105
    Options
    Don't be ashamed...you admitted it and asked for feedback.

I agree with the other poster...look for something you can eat, dark chocolate with a cocoa content of 60% or greater is an excellent choice and high in antioxidants. I keep the sugar free Jello chocolate pudding on hand - not the healthiest choice - but its okay every once in a blue moon. And just 60 calories. Eat what you enjoy in <<<moderation>>>> and exercise.

It's probably not THE healthiest thing to do...I would either stop that behavior or choose a healthier alternative or else it will be an issue that may bug you forever.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I've done that before. Started eating something, then spit it out because I know I shouldn't eat it. But I try to just say no when some body asks me if I want some, or I eat a small piece and log the calories.
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    Today i passed on the cookie -- because I thought to myself it will be eaten and forgotten in less than a minute and it will take 5 -10 minutes on the spin bike to burn it. Not worth it. AND-- i would be pi$$ed at myself when i had to log it in.

So I actually PRETENDED in my head that I ate it and was done with it.
  • LostinCali
    LostinCali Posts: 155
    Options
    If you can get away with eating just a bite of something, then eat it. I think the danger would be if you can't stop at that one bite and keep going. I agree with others in saying that some chocolates are actually good for you, in moderation. I'm no expert but I don't see a problem with a "treat" every once in a while. I mean, we should enjoy life, not be consumed with what we can or can not have. But, if a food makes you feel guilty or ashamed, it really isn't worth it.
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I saw an episode of Intervention (on A&E) where the girl did that. She also had a feeding tube coming out of her stomach that she pumped these drinks threw that gave her all of her nutrients. It was very distubing and she had a very hard time changing these behaviors.

I would suggest to stop doing what your doing now so that this doesn't develop into a full blown eating disorder. I think its safe to say that all of us her like to eat more than we should. We are trying to change our eating habits so that we can enjoy and happy and healthy life. I think you are in fact hindering yourself because this is obviously not how most people get their fixes.

I myself am also a chocaholic so I know how you feel! Little Debbie makes 100 calorie cakes that I started buying to help me take the edge off without adding tons of bad things into my body. Try the Triple Chocolate Brownie - they are REALLY good. Also, if you need to splurge once in a while thats ok too - just budget your calories for it or better yet, work it off!

Good luck with kicking this habit! :flowerforyou:
  • jcarter0525
    Options
    I can tell you in my opinion that I don't deny myself of things I love. In this crazy world of having financial obligations and family obligations and work obligations, you just give and give and give of yourself to everyone. Having a cupcake twice a week can be the one thing you do for yourself and it will not kill your diet completely. It may even help you mentally. If that is the one thing you look forward to, then I say indulge. You can set goals for yourself, as silly as it sounds. You can say that if you work out an extra 10 minutes then you can have the cupcake. Or you can just say screw it, I deserve it after the week I had. Spitting it out doesn't satisfy whatever it is your brain is craving.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's not like you're throwing it up. If the food had a bad taste you would spit it out. Plus a couple of hershey kisses or whatever chocolate you like won't kill you. :flowerforyou:
  • Roxy34
    Roxy34 Posts: 146
    Options
    I saw an episode of Intervention (on A&E) where the girl did that. She also had a feeding tube coming out of her stomach that she pumped these drinks threw that gave her all of her nutrients. It was very distubing and she had a very hard time changing these behaviors.

I would suggest to stop doing what your doing now so that this doesn't develop into a full blown eating disorder. I think its safe to say that all of us her like to eat more than we should. We are trying to change our eating habits so that we can enjoy and happy and healthy life. I think you are in fact hindering yourself because this is obviously not how most people get their fixes.

I myself am also a chocaholic so I know how you feel! Little Debbie makes 100 calorie cakes that I started buying to help me take the edge off without adding tons of bad things into my body. Try the Triple Chocolate Brownie - they are REALLY good. Also, if you need to splurge once in a while thats ok too - just budget your calories for it or better yet, work it off!

Good luck with kicking this habit! :flowerforyou:

Ya, I saw that too and was thinking the same thing, BUT.......remember what happened to her to provoke that type of behaviour? It was horrible! I think if you are concerned enough to wonder if its 'healthy' or not, I would try to stop doing it and try to eat a 'healthier' chocolate. Its okay to splurge and treat yourself. I wouldn't turn it into something that is 'bad' or 'unacceptable' because that could potentially turn into something unhealthy. If it would make you feel better about giving into your sweet tooth, just throw in a good brisk walk or some other form of exercise. :smile:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Chew and Spit is a common eating disorder tendency.
  • jcarey5478
    Options
    First, I think you should be proud of yourself for admitting something that you're ashamed of. That's brave. Second, I agree with Lauryn -- why not indulge in a low-cal chocolate fix? It's a sensible alternative to spitting out your food, which, by the way, sounds like torture. I couldn't imagine having a mouth full of chocolatey goodness and then spitting it out. And lastly, we're here to change our eating habits and our lives, not to trick some calorie counter. Spitting out your food sounds like a change in the wrong direction. Admitting that there may be something wrong with it is a step in the right direction. So chalk it up to a learning experience, and have a kiss!

Cheers to chocolate in moderation! :-D
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Just echoing some of the pp's, but you REALLY should stop the behaviour and nip this in the bud. That pattern is a technical eating disorder and those things snowball very very silently and easily. I think you would enjoy reading Tosca Reno's book, 'The Eat Clean Diet' and there are some amazing sweet recipes in there. Taking care of your body and your emotions and mind are ALL part of this and please steer clear of the possibility of seeing this escalate. :flowerforyou:
  • jennlos
    jennlos Posts: 200
    Options
    Wow I never got this much feedback on here before, I thank you all for your opinions and suggestions. I guess I just needed to hear or read someone telling me not to. Because I haven't told or shown that to anyone. Thank you all!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :smile: