Hey Parents...I need help/advice.

Options
2»

Replies

• prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    my daughter used to give me a hard time too and would gag and spit it out when I would force ger and hold her down.... plus the guilt I felt for doing it was worse... Depending on the kind of medicine (Flavor) I used to mix it with strawberry milk and that worked for me. Or I would do little at a time with a glass of juice to wash the taste down. if she gave me a hard time I would tell her if she don't take it Ill take her to the hospitol and have the Dr do it......worked every time
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    I would call the pharmacy and ask if they make that med in a chewable form. A good trick I use it, I freeze yogurt tubes, let her eat half, take the meds then immediately suck the rest of the tube. it works well becuase their taste buds are frozen, therefore its not as nasty. Also, I always let her use the syringe to give it to herself, she always thought that was cool, no fight... she just does it on her own. if it was something super nasty, I would mix it in applesauce, now they make the raspberry apple sauce or peach, so its a good fake out :) It is so stressful. But at 5 years old she is certainly old enough to sit and have a rational talk about medicine, why she needs it, and if she takes it good for the next few days, then it will be done. I also used to get special treats she wouldn't normally get for after she took her meds if she took them straight up. and I always had a cup of water right there so she could chug as soon as the med was in her mouth. I personally am a medicine hater, gagger, puker so I totally get where these kids come from LOL
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    oh and also, I found bathtime to be a good time to see if shed take it herself then if it makes a mess, it really is just no big deal. Try not to be stressed going into it, it makes things a bit better... I know.. easier said than done when your 5 year old is having a melt down HAHA
  • iamwhimsy
    Options
    When my kids were younger and had meds to take, we made a sticker picture.

Start with a blank piece of paper, colored paper makes it even a bit more fun.

Each time they are scheduled for meds, they have the opportunity to earn two stickers to add to their picture. 1 sticker for simply taking the meds, the 2nd sticker is if they take the meds without a fight.

For some kids, just the chance to earn stickers and make a picture is enough incentive. Others a reward such as earn 10 stickers and you get 20 minutes of reading time with mom; or if the weather is cooperative and the situation permits, 20 minutes of play at the park; perhaps 5 minutes later bedtime or 15 minutes of water play in the bathtub. Something creative that they can earn.

Personally, I don't agree with earning candy or food items or money.

We also used stickers that they couldn't get any other way but for taking meds. Sometimes this meant we had to buy special stickers just for the occassion, but the couple of dollars we spent on this was well worth it to encourage them to take their meds without a fight or arguement.

There were times that they would fight and argue, however they would only earn 1 sticker for that med dose and they soon learned that they could reach their goal a lot faster if they earned two stickers each dose.

Good luck.
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    With my 5 year-old guy who really does not like taking meds, I give him the control. I will get the dose ready, and then let him hold medicine cup or whatever the meds come in. He does so much better when he does it himself. You may want to start a reward chart - she does it 2 times, she gets a treat. Then she does it another 4 times, she can pick something else. (Little items like a few marshmellows, a cookie, etc...) Then, when the script has run out and she did it without a hassle, she gets to go to store and spend $5. Or pick a movie at the video store, or whatever. When I use this system with my kids, I just take a plain piece of paper and draw a bunch of squares on it, and when they do a great job, I draw a star. Easy. And it works. Good luck!
  • CleminoleTech
    CleminoleTech Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    One time I had an issue similar, I had another adult explain the importance. Someone with a firm voice, but yet gentle when discussing the benefits. She talked her into it. Sometimes it takes someone other than Mom or Dad for them to see the importance.
  • donnantx
    donnantx Posts: 76
    Options
    No meds: No TV, video games, etc until the child takes the meds. Period. Explain why the child has to take the meds and the consequences that will happen if the child doesnt take the meds not only as a punishment but what will happen if you have to take the child back to the doctor (ie..injection, hospital stay...etc). After the medicine is taken then reward and praise.
  • bethelcheryl
    bethelcheryl Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hope you were able to get her to take it and she's doing better now!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions here. At five years of age, an explanation (from an adult other than Mom or Dad, perhaps) may help along with using the "after you've" technique, as in "after you've taken your medicine you can watch an hour of television" or whatever she'd like to do. You have to stick to whatever you say.
    This breaks my heart, though. I watch my very ill little nephew take a plate full of pills and syringes of liquids a couple of times a day. He's so good about it, but you can tell it's a chore for the whole family.
    I hope you have a well little one soon.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I know you said you tried hiding it in stuffs, but had you ever try yogurt or chocolate pudding? My 3.5 years old can detect some meds in juice because the med is a tad thicker and changes the texture of the juice. Yogurt worked for us, but the only thing that worked for my friend was chocolate pudding for any meds. Hope your daughter feels better soon. Poor thing.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Hope you were able to get her to take it and she's doing better now!

Thanks my friend <3 She is actually feeling better this morning, so I don't think it was as bad of an infection as the dr said....it was not her regular doctor. She has no fever, no pain at all.
    :hugg (oops, wrong support board) :-)
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Just had this problem with my 2 year old, two antibiotics and some prednisone. I give him the option, if he refuses, then i hold him down, put it in the back of his mouth, and hold his mouth shut until he swallows. And next time guess what? His mouth opened right up!
    My son hated prednisone....I had to bribe him with money ha ha,poor thing kept gagging...had to give him sumthing to chase it down with
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Teach her to swallow a pill...practice with M&M's....then she can have pills and not the icky liquid...I have 6 kids, all hated meds...they all could swallow a pill from about 2 years old, on....solved that probelm :)
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    We moved to pills at around age 5...he doesn't have any trouble with them. even if they are big. But he never had issues with liquid meds either.

My nephew hated it and would throw a fit and scream so she told him it could go down his throat or up his hoo ha in a suppository form...needless to say he started taking his medications.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    She is 5 give her the option of swallowing liquid , chewable or pills. My daughter hated liquid so my by 2 she would swallow pills dry.
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think its alot different for all kids. My 6 year old son has always taken meds like a champ.. when he has a sore throat, or something.. he will ask for something to take. On the other hand, my 3 year old son will not take anything other than the chewable tylanol, only because at first he thinks its candy. Drinking meds is a whole other ballpark! My and my husband will explain to him that if he does not take it.. we will have to take him to the DRs or the hospital, and they will have to do it. Which is very true. He recentally had hives all over his face, and he needed to take benadryl. Refused and refuese until finally I said enough was enough and we just held him down, and forced him to take it. Ripped my heart out of my body, BUT atleast I knew he couldnt have a recation durring the night and his throat close, and stop breathing(worst fear when he gets hives). When done with the best of intentions.. I presonally dont see anythng wrong with that, BUT its not ideal.. id much rather him just drink it. I know he will soon grow out of this.. but until than. this is what we have to do. I just wish they made all meds, in a form of a chewable pill! HAHA:wink: