Does anyone know French?

Options
Leanne3552000
Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
I used to learn French but I'm out of practice and need some help with a couple of very simple sentances.

If I say: Est-ce ta petite fille? Elle est tres joli. Does that make sense? I want to say: Is that your baby girl? She is very beautiful. (Or something to that effect)

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Google translate says your french text =
    "Does your little girl? She is very pretty"

and from what you WANT to say google translate suggests
    "Est-ce que votre bébé? Elle est très jolie"

I'm out of touch with my use of french, haven't entertained foreign students in a couple years... tour guide :P
  • Leanne3552000
    Options
    Google translate says your french text =
    "Does your little girl? She is very pretty"

and from what you WANT to say google translate suggests
    "Est-ce que votre bébé? Elle est très jolie"

I'm out of touch with my use of french, haven't entertained foreign students in a couple years... tour guide :P

Ah thanks I know I'd forgotten something in the question. "votre" is too formal for this situation though. I am speaking to a friend the same age as me
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Nm
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Are you saying it or typing it? If you are typing it, make sure you include the accent and the e after jolie to feminize it. Your first sentence is okay.
  • Leanne3552000
    Options
    Are you saying it or typing it? If you are typing it, make sure you include the accent and the e after jolie to feminize it. Your first sentence is okay.

I'm typing it. Do I need to say "Est-ce que" rather than just "Est-ce" ?
  • ashurae
    ashurae Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, i'm french :)

"Is that your baby girl? She is very beautiful. (Or something to that effect)"
    If that is to someone close to you, to whom you could say "tu" in french, I would say : "Est ce que c'est ta fille ? Elle est très jolie !"
    And if that is someone you owe respect or something like that, or someone who uses the "vous" with, i would say : "Est ce que c'est votre fille ? Elle est très jolie !"
    But ! orally, i would just say "C'est ta/votre fille ? Elle est très jolie!"

Why not say the "baby" ? In english you can say and baby, and girl, but in french, that would be strange to say both of them. So you have to choose if you want to loose the word "baby" or the "girl" in you sentence in french ! If you know that's a girl, say it ! If not, say "ton bébé" !

well, it's hard to explain, because it's natural for me ! ehe
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I would ask my mom, but then she'd start asking me a hundred million and one questions about this French girl and her baby....