Daily sugar intake

Options
So I have been at this for about a month and wasnt getting great results. I started tracking my sugar and noticed I was going WAY over. I am now much more aware of what I am eaing and how much sugar it has but I am finding it very hard. I try to eat dairy like activia yogurt and 2% milk with my cereal. My reccomdend intake of sugar is 44g which sounds like a lot but when you consider that one yogurt has 11 g it does not take long to go over 44g.

I am no where near my calorie intake for the day but I am already over my sugar. Here is today so far:

General Mills - Multigrain Cheerios Cereal, 1 cup 6
Great Value (Walmart) - 2% Reduced Fat Milk, 0.5 cup 6
Quick add caloriesRemember mealCopy yesterdayCopy from dateCopy to date

Lunch
Generic - Melissa Conway's Turkey Soup, 2 1/2 ladels 0

Dinner
Green Giant Simply Steam - Peaches & Cream Whole Kernel Corn, 3/10 cup (59g) 4
Garden Fresh - Asparagus - Baked With Olive Oil & Seasoning, 12.5 medium stalks 0
Marc Angelo (Canada) - Chicken Breast Roast With Bacon, 160 gr 3

Snacks
Danone Activia - Raspberry Probiotic Yogurt, 100 grams 11
Dole - Banana - Small (6" to 6-7/8" Long) , 1 banana 14

Totals calories 873 sugar 44

I have 474 calories left but I am over my sugar already by 17 g!!!!

HELP PLEASE

Replies

• kleighsamboer
    Options
    plain and simple: you are eating too many processed foods. You should also try plant milk like coconut or almond milk. less calories and less sugar. you need to up your fresh veggie and fruit intake big time and then you will see a shift in sugars you consume and in weight loss,
  • scmcgee
    scmcgee Posts: 165
    Options
    I am running into the same problem with sugar. I am always double what my daily intake allows. This week I am not going to have any yogurt and I just got a new salad dressing that is sugar free, fat free and has no calories. I am going to see how I do this week with really watcthing my sugar intake. I will keep you posted!
  • nicoleh82
    nicoleh82 Posts: 52
    Options
    plain and simple: you are eating too many processed foods. You should also try plant milk like coconut or almond milk. less calories and less sugar. you need to up your fresh veggie and fruit intake big time and then you will see a shift in sugars you consume and in weight loss,

Agreed - I have been going this way for on and off for a year now. I have been particularly careful with sugar after reading David Gillespies book about sugar - i highly suggest it.

Lately, because of the reduction of processed foods my DCI has naturally reduced and I think that my shopping bills are lower too (definate benefit)
  • mconway79
    mconway79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am running into the same problem with sugar. I am always double what my daily intake allows. This week I am not going to have any yogurt and I just got a new salad dressing that is sugar free, fat free and has no calories. I am going to see how I do this week with really watcthing my sugar intake. I will keep you posted!

Thanks what kind is it? I dont like to eat any of the fake sugars.

Also we can not have any peanuts or tree nuts in our house. Both of my kids have allergies so almond milk is out.
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    then i suggest coconut milk or nonfat/skim milk
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you watch sugar? If not I would worry more about net carbs then sugar. Sugar is only part of carbohydrates. If you eat a lot of fruit and starchy veggies you will not get your sugar down. If you watch net carbs then you just need to make good choices at getting in more complex carbs to add the fiber and then you can stay within the range you are looking for. I have high blood sugar and am told to only worry about net carbs and not about sugar as it it is only part of the whole picture as far as what affects your blood sugar.

If there is a medical reason that you need to keep it low then you will have to reduce convenience items and fruit and go to more lean meats, fats, whole grains and non starchy veggies.

BTW - Any "light" or "fat free" item generally has more sugar then then full fat version. If they take the cals and fat out they have to put something in its place and it is generally sugar.
  • mconway79
    mconway79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you watch sugar? If not I would worry more about net carbs then sugar. Sugar is only part of carbohydrates.

If there is a medical reason that you need to keep it low then you will have to reduce convenience items and fruit and go to more lean meats, fats, whole grains and non starchy veggies.

What are net carbs vs just the carbs MFP counts?

And no theres no reason for me to be watching sugar. I just thought I would see how much I was eating.