Food and emotion!

Options
For me, it's such a hard thing to deal with. Food and emotion go hand and hand.... Sometimes it feels like a losing battle but I know I am strong and I can do this. Who else deals with mixed feelings when it comes to eating and dealing with emotions? What are some of the things you do so you don't overeat or under eat?

Replies

• VanishingGnome
    Options
    I feel ya! I struggle with this same thing. When I'm stressed, I eat. When I'm bored, I eat....

It's been really hard to get these cravings under control and try to separate emotions from food and think about the food as energy and nutrition. If anyone has any good tips, I'd love to hear them as well.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to my blog.. I am def an emotional eater always have been and it sucks! :(

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/christina0089/view/a-little-of-my-story-long-and-boring-but-true-107123
  • whitneyann0
    whitneyann0 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    bored.jpg

I saw this on Pinterest awhile back and thought that it described me very well!!!

One thing I try to do is just listen to my stomach. If it growls or I am physically feeling hungry then I will eat.
    Otherwise I try to think through it before I start snacking.
    It doesn't always work though, there are definitely times where I eat out of boredom.
    You can always message me if you need a distraction!!!! Or I can give you my number too. :flowerforyou:
  • zephyrionitis
    Options
    As mentioned before, I'm a former anorexic. And I used to take out my negative emotions on my relationship with food. and it made for a horrible binge/purge/restrict cycle. When I was in treatment I learned about this thing called Falun Dafa. It's similar to yoga in some ways, and it really stops the emotional cravings (in addition to giving you more energy). I've also started drawing more, reading, playing guitar, and of course, going to the gym!
    It really had helped and I've completley cut out my emotional eating :)
  • ilovereese13
    Options
    I am the same way! A good tip is to change grocery habits! So buy lots of good things to snack on like fruit, little rice crisps snacks, granola bars, veggies and low fat dip etc. That way if you feel down or just bored you can eat but u have healthy things to grab :) Plus you won't feel guilty after eating cuz you're eating good things :)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    This is something I struggle with as well. I love to eat when I've had a long day or work or when I'm stressed but mostly when I'm bored. I've strarted a thing where I keep fresh fruit and veggies on hand as much as I can and any time I feel like snacking, I snack on that. It helps when I snack out of bordom to keep my calories down and gives me my daily need for fruits and veggies. Its not perfect and I still crave stuff but its been helping and working so far.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to food. I would eat in times of intense emotion.
    I learned to associate food with these emotions. So the key to unlocking this mentality and breaking free was held in learning to disassociate these emotions - unlearn what I have taught myself and learn again.
    This isn't exactly easy to do, but I am confident in saying I have done it. And here's how:

- Identify and watch out for Triggers. Triggers are situations that you have taught yourself to overcome through eating. For me, Triggers included being bored at home, feeling intense emotion (especially sadness, but sometimes just excitement from being outside with friends), or something as idiotic as feeling the NEED to spend money on food. Don't ask me to explain how this is supposed to be logical, it isn't.
    - Keep yourself busy - take up hobbies that use your mind and body. For me, that was an easy one - video games. They distracted me from what my brain was trying to get me to do - eat, eat, eat. I also play a lot of guitar and as of today, 5 months into my dieting, I've written about 10 songs :P You can learn to work this to your advantage.
    - Understand what you want and don't lose sight of it. As important as it is to know WHERE you're running towards, it's just as important to keep your eye on the prize. If you don't keep watching where you're headed, you might slip in a crack somewhere on the line and be miles from your destination. I think of losing weight as climbing a mountain, each step is a day. Maybe this is nonsense to you, but hopefully not.

I feel strongly about topics like this because I was trapped in my 'old, fat self' because of my inability to see what is clearly typed out above. May this help you :)
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I had an experience with this today. My husband was in the hospital since last night, and I was stress eating.

I had:
    1/2 of a soda
    a chocolate bar
    and ice cream

They all tasted disgusting - sickeningly sweet. I felt guilty and mad at myself.

I won't be doing it again.
  • pandaJOY7
    pandaJOY7 Posts: 11
    Options
    Before I eat anything, I always ask myself: "Am I Hungry?"
    If the answer is yes, then I eat something healthy.
    If the answer is no, then I ask... "What do I need?" and "What do I really want?"
    Many times it is an emotion that is triggering the thought that I want to eat. Then, I made up a list of things to do besides eating and I posted it next to my TV and my computer (my 2 "weak areas") and in my kitchen.

Learning how to tell when you are hungry was the hardest part. It takes practice, like many things in changing a life-style.

Hope that helps someone out there!
    :)
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    I learned to associate food with these emotions. So the key to unlocking this mentality and breaking free was held in learning to disassociate these emotions - unlearn what I have taught myself and learn again.
    This isn't exactly easy to do, but I am confident in saying I have done it. And here's how:

- Identify and watch out for Triggers. Triggers are situations that you have taught yourself to overcome through eating. For me, Triggers included being bored at home, feeling intense emotion (especially sadness, but sometimes just excitement from being outside with friends), or something as idiotic as feeling the NEED to spend money on food. Don't ask me to explain how this is supposed to be logical, it isn't.
    - Keep yourself busy - take up hobbies that use your mind and body. For me, that was an easy one - video games. They distracted me from what my brain was trying to get me to do - eat, eat, eat. I also play a lot of guitar and as of today, 5 months into my dieting, I've written about 10 songs :P You can learn to work this to your advantage.
    - Understand what you want and don't lose sight of it. As important as it is to know WHERE you're running towards, it's just as important to keep your eye on the prize. If you don't keep watching where you're headed, you might slip in a crack somewhere on the line and be miles from your destination. I think of losing weight as climbing a mountain, each step is a day. Maybe this is nonsense to you, but hopefully not.

I feel strongly about topics like this because I was trapped in my 'old, fat self' because of my inability to see what is clearly typed out above. May this help you :)

Thank you! This is very helpful.... I have an eating disorder (binge eating) and through therapy and noticing my triggers, I'm getting better but I still have those days where I binge. I appreciate all your info!
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    Before I eat anything, I always ask myself: "Am I Hungry?"
    If the answer is yes, then I eat something healthy.
    If the answer is no, then I ask... "What do I need?" and "What do I really want?"
    Many times it is an emotion that is triggering the thought that I want to eat. Then, I made up a list of things to do besides eating and I posted it next to my TV and my computer (my 2 "weak areas") and in my kitchen.

Learning how to tell when you are hungry was the hardest part. It takes practice, like many things in changing a life-style.

Hope that helps someone out there!
    :)

Yes, I need to start doing that again! Thanks!
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    I had an experience with this today. My husband was in the hospital since last night, and I was stress eating.

I had:
    1/2 of a soda
    a chocolate bar
    and ice cream

They all tasted disgusting - sickeningly sweet. I felt guilty and mad at myself.

I won't be doing it again.

i hope he feels better real soon. Stress like this can make that happen, don't be too hard on yourself! But, I totally get what you mean!
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    bored.jpg

I saw this on Pinterest awhile back and thought that it described me very well!!!

One thing I try to do is just listen to my stomach. If it growls or I am physically feeling hungry then I will eat.
    Otherwise I try to think through it before I start snacking.
    It doesn't always work though, there are definitely times where I eat out of boredom.
    You can always message me if you need a distraction!!!! Or I can give you my number too. :flowerforyou:

HEHE, this made me laugh! Thanks, girl!
  • traceyjayne64
    Options
    I ge this too. For the past 4 weeks ive been fine but its coming up for the anniversary of my dads death (Wednesday) and although its 4 years i still struggle with his loss daily. I knew id find things hard and then to top it all hubby and I had a stressful weekend, mainly to do with his work but it lead to us being moody around the house...consequently i drank a whole bottle of white wine and ate a kebab :cry:
    Now i feel even worse and as guilty as hell. Thankfully the scales haven't moved but im so disappointed in myself. :angry:
  • wantmylifeback70
    wantmylifeback70 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

• SeaStar
    SeaStar Posts: 113
    Options
    I always over eat when I am anxious or depressed, and I usually get anxious or depressed when I drink too much caffeine or alcohol. I try my best to moderate myself but for whatever reason I still like to remind myself what makes me feel bad every so often, oops!
  • zebramama84
    zebramama84 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ooh pick me pick me pick me .... i am a seperated single mom and i like to try and eat my lonliness at night !! i have taken to keepin a 27oz canteen beside me full of water and when i want to eat regardless i take a drink .... its like a bad drinking game and after 20 to 30 min if im still hungry then i go to the kitchen decide what i want and then check how many calories & sugars and check how close i am to my limit and if i feel guily i go back to the water if i can still justify it then i eat it or rethink my snack food choice :) its a constant battle and i think i have a long ways to go before i can deal with it, but im workin on it :) i can do and so can you :)