Running question please

Options
I am in week 7 of a 13 week 10k faster program. I used to get shin splints all the time, but they went away. Today I started to feel them again (after a day of rest and crosstraining- and before I did my run).

I am terrified that if I keep going they'll get worse.

Week 8 is supposed to be a recovery week (easier, shorter runs). Can I just take that week off to try and heal (again)? I would continue with my strength training routine.

Also, if I did this, could I just start at week 9? I don't find the runs too hard right now so I could make it work. I can't redo a week because week 13 is the race.

Thanks.

Replies

• Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have ran in several races including half and full marathons. Make sure your shoes are not worn or more than 6 mths old. Take the week off. Ice them after every run. Stretch them and find exercises on the web you can do. also, massage them. It will hurt but it works :happy:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You can take a week off without any loss of fitness although the first run after the week will feel a bit awkward. Fitness losses after that first week begin to pile up quickly though. You could also do the bike this week to cross train and keep the cardiovascular fitness in check.
  • hmmeier
    hmmeier Posts: 2
    Options
    As mentioned above, My guess is your shoes are getting worn. Ive done several half marathons and currently training for a full marathon and I notice knee pain or abnormal leg pain when my shoes are getting close to needing to be replaced.
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have seen the recommendation of replacing them every 300 miles but they aren't near that point yet. I feel like I've tried everything and this time when they came back it was completely random. I ice, I've tried taping it, I've tried resting, shock absorbing insoles...I am afraid that even if I do take a week off, it will work for a bit but they will come back.
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My shin splints were the result of poor arch supports. This was straight from the mouth of our team athletic trainer when I was playing baseball in college. He also gave me a good idea for icing aching shins....paper Dixie cups (the bathroom mouth rinse kind) filled with water and placed in the freezer. After a workout, use the iced cups like a stick of deodorant on your shins. Feels great to aching shins!

Check your shoes. Also, purchase some good running socks with tight midsole for additional arch supports. I never go running without such socks!