Mayo Substitute?

Options
2»

Replies

• jenbison
    jenbison Posts: 38
    Options
    Hey! I love Kraft's mayonnaisse made with olive oil. It's half the calories, way lower in fat, and taste great! Great substitute for those times when something isn't the same without mayo!:smile:
  • sarrrahj
    sarrrahj Posts: 8
    Options
    I use fat free Ranch Dressing. It is really good
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Follow Your Heart Veganaise... usually the grapeseed oil version... is very. very good.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Follow Your Heart Veganaise... usually the grapeseed oil version... is very. very good.

I second Veganaise, but if you're in a place where you can get them, fresh avocado is my favorite fatty addition to sandwiches and salads!
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I personally like the Hellmann's Light Mayonnaise, for "most" applications. It's fine for me on sandwiches, etc., but it doesn't do quite well in my slaw dressing.
  • aeberly01
    aeberly01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I wouldn't say I'm an addict, but sometimes you just want that light, smooth, moist creamyness. (is that a word?) Ketchup is too sugary and mustard is strong flavored and not moist seeming to me. I've basically switched to just mustard because it doesn't have the calories or fat but I'm not a huge fan.
    Those of you who suggest mixing greek yogurt with avacado-do you mix up a batch and keep in the fridge? I love avacado and fresh guacamole, but mine always seems to turn nasty colors once the air hits it and it grosses me out. How do you keep it from turning colors?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I wouldn't say I'm an addict, but sometimes you just want that light, smooth, moist creamyness. (is that a word?) Ketchup is too sugary and mustard is strong flavored and not moist seeming to me. I've basically switched to just mustard because it doesn't have the calories or fat but I'm not a huge fan.
    Those of you who suggest mixing greek yogurt with avacado-do you mix up a batch and keep in the fridge? I love avacado and fresh guacamole, but mine always seems to turn nasty colors once the air hits it and it grosses me out. How do you keep it from turning colors?

lemon juice
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I take white beans and mix it with some dill, lemon juice, white vinegar, and mustard and put it in a food processor. Thats what I use for a mayo substitute... but I never really ate much mayo so If you are an addict you may not like it.

That sounds so good!!! Thanks!
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    On a sandwich or wrap, or really anything that I want the taste of mayo in, I go with olive oil mayo. It has got 45 calories and 4g of fat per tbsp compared to regular mayo's 90 calories and 10g of fat.

^^this^^ the Kraft brand olive oil mayo is actually pretty tasty. There are alot of substitutions I've willingly made, but there are still a few things I just want mayo on. :)

Condiments are a dietiers' wasteland as far as I'm concerned.

This is also my choice. I love the cracked pepper mayo. I figure it's worth the extra calories for taste and with the olive oil style, I get some oleic acid too.
  • frootbat31
    Options
    MMMM I love hummus on my sandwich. I may never eat mayo again once I tried Garlic Hummus on my sandwich. I would also suggest things like mustard, horseradish, and other spicey type toppings. I even add bacon bits since they are low calories but full of flavor.
  • aben1219
    aben1219 Posts: 2
    Options
    i usually use hummus or spread a laughing cow cheese wedge on my sandwiches or wraps...i think one cheese wedge is only like 35 calories.
  • Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I thought I read somewhere that you could mix plain greek yogurt with something and it was a good tasting substitute for mayo. Anyone have suggestions?

Plain greek yogurt with shredded cucumber makes a FANTASTIC :love: dip/spread that is DH approved. I grate 1 cucumber, let it drain, add a T of sea salt, let it drain more, dump onto paper towels to soak up MORE water, then gently mix in a cup of yogurt, garlic, and pepper to taste.

I also used plain (salt/pepper) mashed avocado as a spread that is DH approved too.

Getting my DH to eat anything resembling *healthy* is a source of contention in our house so if he eats it, you know it's good. :drinker: