IT band problems with running!

Options
Last month my IT band starting giving me problems after running about 3 miles. I haven't been exercising for the last 2 weeks because school has been so hectic, but Friday I tried running and it started hurting after HALF A MILE! I'm supposed to run a 5k on Saturday, and I really don't even know if that will be possible. I also have a half marathon in June that I should be training for, so I'm pretty behind for that.

Does anyone have any IT band tips? Yes, I ice, foam roll and stretch. I'm just looking for something new that someone else may have had success with. I really don't want this to put me behind!

Any advice, links, new stretches, etc would be appreciated.

Replies

• jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    You might try a massage therapist that does AIS (active isolated stretching) or a chiropractor that does ART (active release techniques). I understand they are very similar.

A couple of weeks ago, I had what I thought was a hamstring issue. I happened to see a Groupon for a massage therapist who specializes in AIS. After a few stretches of my hamstring, we realized that was not problem, my IT band was. Wow! I walked out of there pain free and haven't had any trouble since (although I'm going back Saturday for a follow-up massage). It was not necessarily a comfortable relaxing stress relief type massage. But it did wonders for me.