Weight lifting tips for females?

Options
I know that most women are not trying to bulk up. However, I really want well toned arms for the summer. Not like a bodybuilder, but I do want noticable definition. Has anyone acheived this thus far? If so, any tips such as moves, did you have to increase protein, are there certain machines in the gym that helped etc etc. Any positive feedback would be helpful. Thanks! :wink:

Replies

• billthekill
    Options
    Unless you plan on working out 6 days a week and taking steroids, you will never look like a body builder. A natural female just can't biologically look like a bodybuilder.
    Technically you can't "tone" a muscle. I think the term get mis-used as simple having less fat around the muscle area.

So, if you are looking for get a "well toned arm", diet is going to be the main factor.

Having more muscle will produce a better "Shape" for the women body. Don't ever be afraid of looking like a body builder.

I would suggest getting the book "Starting Strength" by rippetoe.
    Stick with compound movements like Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Pull-ups, Overhead press. Don't be afraid to use heavier weights and lower reps. These are the excercise that actually gets you results. Make sure you have a knowlegable partner that can spot you for safety.
  • Kempossible
    Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I will check on getting that book tomorrow. Thanks bill!
  • my31169
    my31169 Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi, I'm trying to tone up too...over over, but especially my arms and shoulders. I started doing several exercises the beginning of January and I'm starting to see some results. Takes a while for me since it's something I've never worked on before. :-)

This site will show you different kinds of exercises. If I wasn't sure how to do it, I youtubed it.

For my shoulders: lateral raises (front and side), dumbell press, pushups, shoulder press. Check this site out for some good examples: http://www.musclesforwomen.com/shoulder-exercises-women-should-do

For my Arms: Bicep curls, tricep kickback, dips, and pushups. http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/arm-workout-0

Feel free to add me. I'm looking for some support and motivation. MY31169 ~ Michelle
  • melcasa
    melcasa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Billthekill has it right! Target the complex muscle groups!
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Unless you plan on working out 6 days a week and taking steroids, you will never look like a body builder. A natural female just can't biologically look like a bodybuilder.
    Technically you can't "tone" a muscle. I think the term get mis-used as simple having less fat around the muscle area.

So, if you are looking for get a "well toned arm", diet is going to be the main factor.

Having more muscle will produce a better "Shape" for the women body. Don't ever be afraid of looking like a body builder.

I would suggest getting the book "Starting Strength" by rippetoe.
    Stick with compound movements like Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Pull-ups, Overhead press. Don't be afraid to use heavier weights and lower reps. These are the excercise that actually gets you results. Make sure you have a knowlegable partner that can spot you for safety.

So much truth! Op, don't wait. Go to startingstrength.com. Lots of articles and videos there. Also, check out below. A non competition pic of Ava Cowan (figure competitor). I think a lot of women would be ok looking like this.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKDXObq6X3LijvM82iQUm9KKuAZVKze_3O7CpIwmdr66PaEl-beg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    I know that most women are not trying to bulk up. However, I really want well toned arms for the summer. Not like a bodybuilder, but I do want noticable definition. Has anyone acheived this thus far? If so, any tips such as moves, did you have to increase protein, are there certain machines in the gym that helped etc etc. Any positive feedback would be helpful. Thanks! :wink:
    Lift heavy and bust your *kitten*! 3x8 reps with as much weight as you can do with good form. This has been a great formula that has worked for decades.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the first guy!

New Rules of Weight Training for Women is a good read. Explains a lot about the fears and such that women have. I'm not a huge fan of the diet or the routine (except stage 1) though.

Like he said, starting strength is good. I just started Strong Lifts 5x5 which I think is similar.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Best weight lifting tip for females: lift like a man
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    OP listen to these guys. They know their stuff. (not sure why I'm in this thread, could be cause my friends are in it lol)
  • simon_pickard
    simon_pickard Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Toned Arms = Reducing bodyfat to a point where the muscle is shown.
    First port of call isn't in the gym, it's diet.

Get that in check first. You'll never exercise your way to Toned anything without cleaning up your diet.

In the gym for upper body do the following..
    1. Pull ups. (start on an assited machine if you need to, keep fighting until you don't need it).
    2. Bench Press. Lift heavy with low reps. When you can get to 8 reps move the weight higher.

That's it.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Just lift like a guy and skip the book. :wink:
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    another vote for the book :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

But if you don't know how to lift at all (like a guy or a girl) then a book is helpful. So is Youtube.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    THIS BOOK: The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises: Four Weeks to a Leaner, Sexier, Healthier YOU! by Adam Campbell MS CSCS
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

But if you don't know how to lift at all (like a guy or a girl) then a book is helpful. So is Youtube.

I agree! The book has a lot more info then just how to lift also. Everyone has to start/learn somewhere. To the OP: NROLW is my bible! It truly is a great book.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    +1 for Starting Strength
  • Kempossible
    Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all the feedback! Very,Very helpful
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength is pretty much the definitive form guide for every major lift out there, and outlines an excellent program. Mark Rippetoe is like a prophet of powerlifting.

New Rules of Lifting for Women gives a very accessible description of WHY lifting is such a good idea for EVERYONE, and also outlines some basic workouts and dietary advice.

I recommend picking up both books.