do u NEED to work out??

Options
Honestly, I HATE working out.. I pay $25 a month for a gym membership that I don't even use.. ive lost weight by just eating better before, and I plan to get back to the gym eventually, but I feel like tackling two things at once will cause undue stress and set me up for failure. Is it OK to wait a bit before getting into an exercise routine and to get used to rating better first? Please don't be mean

Replies

• melcasa
    melcasa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle you should be doing both. Yes you can lose weight by just eating less but your body needs to move. You don't need a gym to workout. Walking, jogging, cleaning, gardening, ANYTHING that gets your heart rate is good for your body!

Just find things you like and do them first. Then if you want to add strength training to your routine go back to the gym.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Please check out the "i just don't care anymore" thread under motivation and decide for yourself. Working out is soooo worth it!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    you do not NEED to do anything.

however, working out will improve your attitude, your strength, your stamina, your appearance, your health, your ability to lose weight, your ability to eat MORE food and still lose weight, and also, you will be able to better handle REAL stress when you actually encounter it.

blessings.
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    I just get so tired at the gym.. I have no energy after work (cant go before) and I never know what to even do once I'm there.. I don't know how to.properly work out
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I hate driving. I would never work out if I had to go to a gym. I have a treadmill at home. I use it to allow me to eat more. I like eating more. It's a pretty strong motivation.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I just get so tired at the gym.. I have no energy after work (cant go before) and I never know what to even do once I'm there.. I don't know how to.properly work out

Classes are there for that exact reason.

You can make excuses, or you can make progress.
  • jaimelia
    jaimelia Posts: 1
    Options
    If you have a gym membership, you most likely have access to free training sessions. Ask at the front desk for someone to show you how to properly use the machines. A lot of times, they will even give you a circuit to work based on your goals. You pay for the membership, make sure you use all of it!
  • wittlelacey
    wittlelacey Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I think you've already made your decision :) Try squeezing in a walk every now and then or a 20 minute Jillian Michael's workout! Even the smallest amount of exercise is better than nothing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    This is why you don't want to go. Lack of knowledge will deter anybody from going. Get a free training session and have them write down. A basic training regimen of at least 1 exercise per body part is a good way to start.
    You can lose weight without exercise, but your body will just be like jello in the end. Start lifting now to help deter that from happening.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • angelashay42
    Options
    Honestly, I think eating healthfully is 90% of the battle. Even Jillian Michaels has been quoted as saying that if you eat very well, you need minimal exercise to maintain a healthy weight. I definitely believe in getting up and moving around. Walking the dog, playing with the kids in the park, doing housework, raking leaves, etc. But not everyone needs to be doing cardio at the gym to be healthy. Just sayin.
  • melcasa
    melcasa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yeah if you don't know what you're doing don't go and hurt yourself (or take up machines others are trying to use, that's the worst)

If you don't have energy it means you are not eating properly before and after to fuel your body
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options

Classes are there for that exact reason.

You can make excuses, or you can make progress.
    I really don't need you to tell me I'm making excuses. I'm not. I'm telling you its physically difficult for Me to exercise at the gym.. please don't tell me that I'm making excuses. It does not make me feel better.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    This is why you don't want to go. Lack of knowledge will deter anybody from going. Get a free training session and have them write down. A basic training regimen of at least 1 exercise per body part is a good way to start.
    You can lose weight without exercise, but your body will just be like jello in the end. Start lifting now to help deter that from happening.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Perfect answer.

OP- It's all about Body Composition. Get a book about lifting, and find a way to work the gym into your schedule.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer training sessions; maybe the first one free?

Do you have friends that are into fitness and might be able to point you in the right direction?

Have you considered trying workout DVDS (Jillian is pretty popular - she's a beeeyotch but damn, she gets the job done!) :)

What about finding routines online from reputed sources like bodybuilding.com, Oxygen Magazine, etc?

Feel free to add me if you want some suggestions or help! :)
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    I should probably mention that I do NOT have A desk job; I'm a toddler teacher and I chase arounsd 9 2-year olds everyday for 8 hours. So I'm not just sitting around all day. Hence why I'm exhausted after work.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Working Out in this context can be either cardio training or resistance training.

While you can lose weight just by modifying your diet, your body will shed muscle with the fat to accommodate the caloric deficit thus lowering your resting metabolism, thus increasing the likelihood of regaining the weight as more fat.

The exercise pays dividends other than increased fat utilization.
    It improves mental health by being an anxiety and stress outlet. (I work out after work and this is very tangible)
    Better regulation of blood sugar and blood pressure.
    It actually boost overall energy levels.
    It improves neuromuscular efficiency. (quicker and stronger)
    It improves balance.
    Resistance training improves bone density. (think anti-osteoporosis)

Pick something you sorta enjoy (or at least tolerate) and try for 30 minutes three times a week as a start.
  • angelashay42
    Options
    Don't let them get you down KaseyAnne. Everyone has their own idea of what's right. Do what works for you and pay no attention to negative comments.
  • tayca9174
    tayca9174 Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm a full time college student and I'm so busy with homework and studying and clinicals and working I really don't have time to work out. I'm also kinda like you and really don't know what to do once I get to the gym. I have no idea. I get to the gym once a week because it is on campus and I have an hour and a half break between classes so I go for an hour and just go on the treadmill at different inclines at 3.8 mph and that's it! I wish I could work out more but I don't have time or know what to do.
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    You said that adding exercise into your routine would cause stress. Interestingly enough, exercise reduces stress. Taking time for yourself to take care of your body is worth it. Plus it releases endorphins and is proven to decrease stress, anxiety, and depression. I had a doctor tell me to exercise when I complained of anxiety. Exercise will do this:

1. Speed up results
    2. Increase metabolism
    3. Build muscle which you want because muscle burns more calories than fat.
    4. Increase energy
    5. Cause you to actually CRAVE healthy food.
    6. Help you gain confidence
    And soooo much more

Its all about finding the workout that's right for you. Swimming, running, kickboxing, cycling, playing sports with friends, lifting weights, yoga...the list goes on in on. Even just a long walk.

Long story short, yes. You should work out. IT GETS EASIER! If you work out enough your body will start craving a work out.

Good luck! Add me if you need encouragement