best exercise

Options
ok so i need help......what are the best exercises to tone the stomach and inner thighs??.....any feed back and advise will be great :)

Replies

• CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    'Toning' is essentially another word for losing fat, and you can't 'spot reduce' the fat in the areas on your body that you want, just as well as the fact you can't tone your muscle. If you want to 'tone up' those parts, you need to lose the fat overall. It'll eventually dissapear from those spots, but sadly the stomach and inner thighs tend to be some of the last places in which the weight drops from.

Keep up the healthy eating, exercise, and most importantly start lifting weights because the extra muscle will help 'tone' you up.
  • janecalder
    janecalder Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Did not loose much weight but lost lots of inches!!!
  • missbaker89
    missbaker89 Posts: 245
    Options
    'Toning' is essentially another word for losing fat, and you can't 'spot reduce' the fat in the areas on your body that you want, just as well as the fact you can't tone your muscle. If you want to 'tone up' those parts, you need to lose the fat overall. It'll eventually dissapear from those spots, but sadly the stomach and inner thighs tend to be some of the last places in which the weight drops from.

Keep up the healthy eating, exercise, and most importantly start lifting weights because the extra muscle will help 'tone' you up.

so even if i did 1000 sit ups daily (not that i would be able to do that) i still wouldn't tone......what if there is not much fat there to begin with?
  • 61TJ
    61TJ Posts: 15
    Options
    Muscles, toned or flabby, lie underneath the layers of fat, so they won't be noticed untill the fat layers are removed, however, toned muscles burn more calories so all over strength training is important, so work on the toning with the view that when the fat is eventually removed, then there is a toned body waiting underneath.
  • CaseRat
    Options

so even if i did 1000 sit ups daily (not that i would be able to do that) i still wouldn't tone......what if there is not much fat there to begin with?

1000 sit up daily wouldn't tone it at all; the only way to 'tone' your body is to lose more fat. If there's not much fat there to begin with, you're clearly already looking good :) If you want it to get more flat, you just need to lose the little bit of fat that's left there. Simple as that.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

1000 sit up daily wouldn't tone it at all; the only way to 'tone' your body is to lose more fat. If there's not much fat there to begin with, you're clearly already looking good :) If you want it to get more flat, you just need to lose the little bit of fat that's left there. Simple as that.

I agree with all of this - but depending on where you are and what your stomach muscles are like already, doing some abs workouts can help hold you tighter so to speak.

Plus, there's no harm in working out your abs so that when you do lose the fat they look good.
  • CaseRat
    Options

I agree with all of this - but depending on where you are and what your stomach muscles are like already, doing some abs workouts can help hold you tighter so to speak.

Plus, there's no harm in working out your abs so that when you do lose the fat they look good.

^^ That's true.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    you can tone. because all that is is making your muscle fibres fit more tightly together so to speak in simple terms. however the guys kinda right, you have to loose fat to appear toned, you because you could have tight trans abs but if you have tummy fgat you wont notice it. so combine cardio id say preffs rower or running with squats crunches lunches and plank to start with. well thats what id advise a client to do as an ease in.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    . so combine cardio id say preffs rower or running with squats crunches lunches and plank to start with. well thats what id advise a client to do as an ease in.

Lunches - that's one of my favourite exercises, but I hate doing lunges!:wink:
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    . so combine cardio id say preffs rower or running with squats crunches lunches and plank to start with. well thats what id advise a client to do as an ease in.

Lunches - that's one of my favourite exercises, but I hate doing lunges!:wink:

you can tell my sandswich was on my mind just from that ahah! lunges!!!
  • ElementalMoe
    ElementalMoe Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    But isn't it true that building muscle helps with burning fat? So if she were to do ab exercises and build her ab muscles, it would help to burn the fat in that area???
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    you can tone.
    NO you can't, please stop lying to the MFP community
    But isn't it true that building muscle helps with burning fat?
    Yes
    So if she were to do ab exercises and build her ab muscles, it would help to burn the fat in that area???
    No, not "IN THAT AREA". There is no way to spot reduce unless its liposuction.

If she wants to burn more fat through muscle building, she would see better faster results from compound lifts such as, squats, dead-lifts, bench press, snatch, clean&jerk, thrusters etc. All of which engage the abdominals yet also require more muscle activation to do the lift thus burning more calories.
  • ElementalMoe
    ElementalMoe Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ah - makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. :)