alcohol at weekends and gaining

Options
2»

Replies

• andthenwhat
    andthenwhat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have this issue to... but after understanding WHY it thwarts my fitness goals, I'm having second thoughts about letting loose.

When I drink on the weekends, it is usually out with dinner. Your body will process and metabolize the alcohol first (which is 7 calories per gram, equalling about 98 calories per jigger! 3 shots later you have almost 300 calories and that's not even counting mixers!), leaving whatever you have eaten to wait in line to be metabolized. Of course this doesn't mean that everything you ate will be stored as fat, unless you have eaten 3500 cals beyond your daily energy expenditure...

All that to say this... alcohol changes the lineup in the way your body metabolizes food, dehydrates your body (making it want to cling to ANY water it gets causing water retention) AND add to that, if you are eating out consider the amount of sodium in restaurant food, also causing water retention.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying I have diet coke and vodka only 2-4 fri and satd after dinner
    I lost weight ok on weighwatchers and drank the same,I just never lose well on calorie counting :(
    I will cut the drink out and see next week what happens :drinker:
  • Acmcneil0908
    Options
    Hi I have some vodka Friday and Saturday night I have 2-3 shots both nights BUT I weigh in on Tuesdays and Im always 2lbs heavier than Saturday,I only weight Saturday and Tuesday used to be daily do you think the 4-6 weekend shots of alcohol gain me 2lbs?
    Id be interested to hear from other people who drink just weekends and weigh days just after?
    Thanks

When trying to lose weight you really shouldn't have alcohol at all. Although I have heard a glass or two of red wine a week is good for your heart and belly fat.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I found the perfect cure!

I quit drinking:happy:
    In the last 3 months I have had 2 glasses of wine on super bowl sunday. That's it. Is it hard? YES! Have I had ample oppertunity to drink? YES! Christmas, 3 big birthday celebrations, including my own, valentines day, New Years and eating out at great restaurants. Do I miss it? Some days, but my performance both athletically and on the scale has been great. Almost 20 lbs in 7 weeks.

edited for spelling

exercise.png
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    it all depnds on what kind of alcohol, and a mix. I know captain morgan is 5 cal per oz. but the mix is what is bad for me. and shots it all depnds what is all in there. I now if Idrink i gain, but i figure it is other stuff in alcohol.
    Um, nothing is 5 calories per ounce except maybe artificially sweetened tea.

Rum, one jigger (1.5 ounces) is 97 calories. Here's the URL: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-liquors-spirits-rum-distilled-80-proof-40-alc_f-ZmlkPTE0MDUw.html
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    it all depnds on what kind of alcohol, and a mix. I know captain morgan is 5 cal per oz. but the mix is what is bad for me. and shots it all depnds what is all in there. I now if Idrink i gain, but i figure it is other stuff in alcohol.

its not 5 calories an ounce. alcohol is 7 calories a gram- a 1.5 ounce standard pour of captain will set you back about 70 calories. i love my cocktails.

agree with this ^^^ i measure 30ml/1oz and its 60 cals (i may be a little out but not much) :) i drink it with diet lemonade which is VERY low in cals
  • emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Yup... alcohol makes me put on weight too... i could drink over 1000 calories in alcohol in one day and that's from drinkin the 'healthy' vodka, lime and soda!! So watch what you drink and how much of it!!

Avoid coloring, fruit juices, non diet soda and liquors! Also, the clearer the alcohol the better as the others a pretty sugar laden!!! I tend to leave it to pecial occasions now, and offer to be the designated driver so I don;t have that sneaky drink!!!

:drinker: