Please help before I give up :(

Options
I have been cutting for 4 weeks today. i was aiming to lose .5lbs a week to try and maintain most of my muscle mass. In 4 weeks i have only lost 1.2lbs and 1/2 inch off my waist. all other measurements are the same !!! :grumble: i know i need to lose slowly but this is insane. i am set at 2000 cals a day. i usually burn 300 cals 6 days a week (sunday is rest day) when i am full i stop eating which typically puts me at around 1800 net calories every day. my diary is open. i dont know if i need to eat less? cut our all carbs? most carbs? cut out peanut butter? (i know i eat alot but it is the only way to get my cals in and i LOVE it). I just do not know what to do anymore. i feel fat and none of my clothes fit. what am i doing wrong? i lift 3 days a week and do cardio the other days. i just want to be muscular and i am wondering if i just need to give it time and i will see it once i lower my body fat % or if i need to change something up to start losing. Please help.....:sad:

Replies

• kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Did MFP set your daily calorie total at 2000 or did you manually put that in? How much do you weight now? Can you figure out your BMR and let us know what that is? How accurate do you think the 300 calories burned is? I know that MFP estimates my calories burned much higher than the machines I am using at the gym. 2000 seems like quite a bit but without knowing the rest of the info it is hard to give advice.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i manually set it to 2000 calories. i was gaining 1lb a week on my bulk with 2400 cals. so i lowered it to 2000 cals. but i am only netting 1800 after exercise. i am 5'7 and weigh 148lbs now. i workout for 45-70min 6 days a week. i have two children and am a bartender for 10hrs on monday and friday and 4hours tues-thurs. so i am quite active
  • britexmom
    britexmom Posts: 145
    Options
    from looking at the last several days on your food diary you are going over your fat calories almost daily. maybe you need to change up some of your food choices. but honestly 4 weeks isnt very long, i didnt lose a single ounce until i had been on here for 3 weeks and really got serious about my food intake and excercise calories. i would think if you are seriously lifitng then your not going to see huge changes on the schale but more so in your body shape.
  • CathiWiltsey
    CathiWiltsey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't give up...its only been 4 weeks! I have to agree with Kristin that 2000 calories seems like a lot, though I don't know all your details. I have not looked at your diary, but some of it could be the types of food you are eating and when you are eating. I've hit a wall recently and have begun to look at when I am doing most of eating, as that does play a big part. I find that I do a lot of my eating (easily 1/3rd of my calorie intake for the day) after 8 pm. I'm tired and at the computer and I like to snack.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    i manually set it to 2000 calories. i was gaining 1lb a week on my bulk with 2400 cals. so i lowered it to 2000 cals. but i am only netting 1800 after exercise. i am 5'7 and weigh 148lbs now. i workout for 45-70min 6 days a week. i have two children and am a bartender for 10hrs on monday and friday and 4hours tues-thurs. so i am quite active

I started out at 147 lbs and I am also 5'7". 1800 cals was what MFP said my maintenance cals should be, not the cals needed to lose weight...I ate 1500 NET and lost about 10 lbs in 8 wks.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    .5 pounds a week is 2 pounds a month, you've lost 1.2 pounds in the past month, you aren't that far off pace, especially on a slow cut, with a relatively low body fat percentage. Stick to what you're doing, as you are getting results.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi honey,
    I have been doing a lot of research about this, add me and email me, I'll give you some more information. If you send me some details about youself than I will put a plan together for you x
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Cut another 100-200 calories and you will see what it does....but if you go over pretty much everyday, well you get what you get.

Something has to give,....or you burn more or you eat less.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have been cutting for 4 weeks today. i was aiming to lose .5lbs a week to try and maintain most of my muscle mass. In 4 weeks i have only lost 1.2lbs and 1/2 inch off my waist. all other measurements are the same !!! :grumble: i know i need to lose slowly but this is insane. i am set at 2000 cals a day. i usually burn 300 cals 6 days a week (sunday is rest day) when i am full i stop eating which typically puts me at around 1800 net calories every day. my diary is open. i dont know if i need to eat less? cut our all carbs? most carbs? cut out peanut butter? (i know i eat alot but it is the only way to get my cals in and i LOVE it). I just do not know what to do anymore. i feel fat and none of my clothes fit. what am i doing wrong? i lift 3 days a week and do cardio the other days. i just want to be muscular and i am wondering if i just need to give it time and i will see it once i lower my body fat % or if i need to change something up to start losing. Please help.....:sad:

I had a look at your food diary, and the one bit of advice I would give it to look at your fat intake, your going over by about 40g of fat each day I looked at, just change some of the foods your eating, Im guessing you dont have allot to lose, the last pounds take longer to come off, especially if your eating 2000 cals a day (which it the recomended number of cals per day for a female to maintain a weight)

If I were you id cut the fat intake in half and try for 1800-1900 cals a day good luck and dont give up 1.2lbs is still a loss :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you were gaining around a pound a week on 2400 (2400 net or total??) then you need to drop the calories a little.

You are losing still though so don't get disheartened. Maybe drop your calories by 1-200 maximum. You are still losing now so no need to go lower than that.

Note: It took me 3 weeks of NOTHING before I finally saw a loss on my 4th week of cutting (2lbs) Patience. You will get there :smile:
  • Yanicka1
    Options

I had a look at your food diary, and the one bit of advice I would give it to look at your fat intake, your going over by about 40g of fat each day I looked at,

Fat don't make you fat....extra calories does
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Please do not listen to the fat nay-sayers. You're fat is coming from quality sources. You have to get those cals from somewhere. I believe you just have to hang in there a little longer. Yanicka gave good advice too.

I go over on fat all of the time and that is AFTER getting 50-55% of my cals from fat every day. I eat a lot of eggs and nut butter as well. My body comp has steadily changed, but it has taken FOREVER. When you have a lower % to start, it just takes a long time.
  • donna_glasgow
    Options

I had a look at your food diary, and the one bit of advice I would give it to look at your fat intake, your going over by about 40g of fat each day I looked at,

it depends where the fat is coming from and what kind of fat it is .saturated fat has to be avoided and saturated fat isnt mentioned in the diary ... so I have no idea how much is saturated hence saying "have a look at your fat intake" ...

I also said about cals in my original post :)
  • tigersword
    Options

it depends where the fat is coming from and what kind of fat it is .... eggs= good - peanutbutter = bad
    Huh? Peanut butter is one of the healthiest fats on the planet, you might want to do some research on fat. :huh:
  • donna_glasgow
    Options

lol I just did and edited my post :P ... you learn something new every day :)
    it depends where the fat is coming from and what kind of fat it is .... eggs= good - peanutbutter = bad
    Huh? Peanut butter is one of the healthiest fats on the planet, you might want to do some research on fat. :huh:
  • Yanicka1
    Options

lol I just did and edited my post :P ... you learn something new every day :)

Fat from vegetables and animals = good
    Fat made by men = bad
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    just based on a few numbers you gave, if you were gaining 1 lb a week on 2400 net cals, then you probably need to cut more.

If you use 1 lb of fat is ~3600 cals, then at 2400 calories you were eating an excess of 514 cals/day (3600/7). This would put you at 1885 cal/day just to stay where you are. If you want to lose 0.5 lb/week, then, based off your numbers, you would need to net somewhere around 1630 cal per day.
  • tigersword
    Options

it depends where the fat is coming from and what kind of fat it is .saturated fat has to be avoided and saturated fat isnt mentioned in the diary ... so I have no idea how much is saturated hence saying "have a look at your fat intake" ...

I also said about cals in my original post :)
    It's not that cut and dried either, saturated fat can also be healthy, like the lauric acid in coconut oil, which is very heart healthy. Honestly, I feel the terms "saturated" and "unsaturated" fats need to go away, and we should just worry about the specific fatty acids themselves, regardless of saturation.
  • Jessicaruby
    Options
    Cut another 100-200 calories and you will see what it does....but if you go over pretty much everyday, well you get what you get.

Something has to give,....or you burn more or you eat less.

I am have never been over on calories since i started cutting 4 weeks ago. i am always under (around 1800 net)
  • Jessicaruby
    Options
    I'd say if you were gaining around a pound a week on 2400 (2400 net or total??) then you need to drop the calories a little.

You are losing still though so don't get disheartened. Maybe drop your calories by 1-200 maximum. You are still losing now so no need to go lower than that.

Note: It took me 3 weeks of NOTHING before I finally saw a loss on my 4th week of cutting (2lbs) Patience. You will get there :smile:

2400 before workout calories on my bulk. i am at 2000 now but am only eating 1800 net. i was thinking of lowering it but since i am netting under my total calories already i am not sure? if i lower it to 1800-1900 and then eat all that back i will be eating about the same as i do now. does that make sense? lol