Do you track before or after you eat?

Options

Replies

• MystiqueASAP
    Options
    I always track before. This way, I know exactly what my nutrients are/are not. Also, this helps if I want to allow for unexpected changes.
  • ShawnaCurley
    ShawnaCurley Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do it after
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I log before I eat some things. Planning helps me make better decisions throughout the day so it just makes sense to also log my planned food all at once in the morning so I can see where I am for those unexpected treats (birthday's, etc).
  • worej
    worej Posts: 108
    Options
    I do a combo. I often don't track until after, but if I know something challenging is coming up or if I had an extra snack that might make me go over, I track ahead of time. Most of the time, though, I'm in a pretty solid routine that will not send me over, and I can just enter everything at night.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    When I create my meal plan for the week I add to my food tracker. This way I know I am getting the right amount of food every day. Then When I make my lunch for work, I look at my food tracker to see what I need to pack. I make adjustments as needed through the week.
  • cupcakestarz
    Options
    Before and I make sure I stick to it:)
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking after I eat for quite a while now, and I feel like tracking before eating works a lot better. That way I can see exactly what I'm eating, how many calories, and can adjust my serving size accordingly.
  • heidiwebs
    heidiwebs Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I usually log most of my day before lunch time. By then, I know what my breakfast, lunch, and snacks for the day will be. It helps me plan dinner and stay within (or hopefully below!) my calories for the day. It really helps show if your protein or fiber will be too low as well.
  • Donkeydriver
    Options
    I just decided that I need to log after work... which means I will see what I can have for dinner/snack and workout left... right now, I realize I better workout a little longer than I first thought.... I think this may help me, I used to log at the end of day, but sometimes I'm just too tired, or don't get to it....
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Primarily log before, but sometimes after if things change!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Primarily log before, but sometimes after if things change! I normally plan out my meals for the week.
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about tracking as I do about going to see a movie. If somebody asks me to go to the movies in two weeks, HELL no. But if it's like "Hey let's go see a MOVIE!" ....Why certainly.

Well, I track while I'm eating, hahaha.....it helps me eat slower. *shrugs*

(I also scan the bar codes for everything. It's so much fun!)
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    In the morning, I fill out the whole day. I'm aiming for 40% carbs: 30% fat: 30% protein so this allows me to fiddle with the food weights to get it close. When i deviate from the plan, I go back and modify. Sounds a little tedious but I enjoy it.

I do this too. My macros are set up the same. If I log it beforehand I can adjust anything that needs it, plus I don't have to remember what I ate all day and I just have to add in drinks and deviations off plan :ohwell:
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It depends, I try to log before I eat, or at the very least find out the calories for a serving size and try to eat accordingly. I try to never go into a meal not knowing how much I can or should eat, If I don't know there is a very good chance that I will eat too much and go over my calorie limits.
  • New_Atti2ude
    New_Atti2ude Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    BOTH, BUT I PREFER TO DO IT BEFORE BECAUSE I WON'T GO OVER OR DECIDE TO NOT EAT IT OR WHATEVER. I HAVE WALKED THE POST OF SHAME AND ADDED AFTER. I'M HUMAN, BUT HONEST WITH MYSELF.
  • Sometimes I log before, sometimes after all depends on what sort of day I have ahead of me

17834623.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I usually log my food before and sometimes during...

^^^ I do this... if I am cooking something at home - i will scan bar-codes as i go.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I log my breakfast as I eat it or sometimes after (it's always the same)
    My lunch I log when I get home from work.
    I make sure my breakfast, lunch and any snacks I've had are logged before dinner.
    I then log what I plan to eat for supper before eating supper. That way, if I have to adjust an amount I can do so.
    It gives me a good idea if I have been low or high on something in the day, and I can adjust things if I'd like to have a dessert or snack in the evening.
  • Trishajac
    Trishajac Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I usually log my food before and sometimes during...

^^^ I do this... if I am cooking something at home - i will scan bar-codes as i go.

How are you scanning bar codes? thanks...
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the scanner on the phone.. I use that as I am going about my day and before I stick food in my mouth. It helps me avoid that "OH ****! I didn't know that's how unhealthy that was.." feeling..