Just a quickie "strength" training question...

Options
Will I bulk up if I strength train?

Just kidding.

I have been doing some "basic" strength training using my own body weight for a couple of weeks now. When I first started my muscles felt like they had been ripped off and sewn back on or something, but of course, it got better as I did more workouts.

Now I do the workout, and aside from feeling the muscle when I'm actually using it my body doesn't seem to have any after effects from the workout.

My question is: Should you "feel" your workout afterwards (i.e. have sore muscles) or should it be so that you're acclimatised? And if you no longer have that sore feeling, is that good, or bad? And should I up my reps/try different things?

Sorry to post this, I did do a search on the forums but I couldn't actually find any answer to that particular question!

Replies

• HappyinSunnyColorado
    Options
    It is "good" that you have increased muscle strength and adapted to the exercises. Now you need to increase resistance and add new exercises to work different muscles. You will feel sore again when you find new muscles to challenge! Congratulations on your success so far and good luck on your journey!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Ah thanks Dee :) I will have to up it and try to get back that sore feeling then by the looks of it!!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's not technically "muscle soreness," it's inflammation in the connective tissues. It's not necessarily an indication of anything good or bad.

Your focus should be on making progress (i.e., lifting more weight over time). Soreness decreases over time for everyone, and different body parts are more susceptible.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Well, regardless of where the soreness stems from - should it be present? Does it show that I am doing enough/lifting enough? Or can some people never have that soreness and still increase their muscle density?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Well, regardless of where the soreness stems from - should it be present? Does it show that I am doing enough/lifting enough? Or can some people never have that soreness and still increase their muscle density?

It's not an indication that you're doing enough. The indication of whether you're doing enough is whether you're making progress.

I don't think I've ever heard of someone that have never had soreness. It's usually pretty bad in the beginning and decreases over time. I've been lifting for a few years, and I rarely get sore. When I do, it's pretty slight.

It's nothing worth worrying about, and it certainly shouldn't be a "goal."
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Ah ok, well that answers the question :) Definitely making progress, so doing it without the soreness is a bonus!!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Also, your nutrition and gender can be a factor. I am not one who gets DOMS easily at all, and it was concerning me just like you. Women tend to recover more quickly. And not get as sore. It has to do with ATP. We have more of it. I also think there's an estrogen connection, from what I've read.

It was also suggested to me that if you're getting the right nutrients, in the right amounts, adequate rest, etc. that you'll not get as sore. And it you're doing the same movements over and over again... again, not as sore.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    If you're not feeling any soreness....welcome to my world. I rarely feel sore after a workout. I have tried many a times and I'm rarely successful. Everyone's a little different.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    If you're not feeling any soreness....welcome to my world. I rarely feel sore after a workout. I have tried many a times and I'm rarely successful. Everyone's a little different.

I'm in this boat too. I go heavy (3-5 reps per set usually) and change up my routines often enough that they are not routine.
  • Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out, I would get incredibly sore.

Now? I'm lucky to feel sore at all and if I do, it's a "huh, I guess I'm kinda sore" sort of feeling.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Also, your nutrition and gender can be a factor. I am not one who gets DOMS easily at all, and it was concerning me just like you. Women tend to recover more quickly. And not get as sore. It has to do with ATP. We have more of it. I also think there's an estrogen connection, from what I've read.

It was also suggested to me that if you're getting the right nutrients, in the right amounts, adequate rest, etc. that you'll not get as sore. And it you're doing the same movements over and over again... again, not as sore.

Ah thank you! Yeah it hurt at first so I thought maybe I wasn't "pushing" myself far enough, but it sounds like I'm just building more muscle or whatever it is (I always get shouted at for saying that but people know what I mean right...!?)

And yeah Anelda, there is a feeling there but it's kind of nice really :)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

Ah thank you! Yeah it hurt at first so I thought maybe I wasn't "pushing" myself far enough, but it sounds like I'm just building more muscle or whatever it is (I always get shouted at for saying that but people know what I mean right...!?)

And yeah Anelda, there is a feeling there but it's kind of nice really :)

As long as you progress in strength gains you are. Just as UponThisRock stated.
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Sore is good....pain is not

Im in the same boat with a few of you. When you start a new workout or try an exercise that you havent done for a long time you get sore but typically I dont get sore.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Took a quick look at your diary. Looks like the MFP defualt settings. I'd suggest you reduce you carbs and up your protein somewhat. This will help with recovery somewhat including soreness. Get your protein up to about .8 to 1gram for every lb of lean body mass. Eg 150 lbs at 25% body fat means 37.5 lbs of body fat and 112.5 lbs of lean mass. I'd then get 90 to 112 grams of protein daily. Set your fats at 30 or 35% and let the carbs fall wherever they do. You need the amino acids in protein to recover and rebuild. As others have said, the soreness will be less with time. I can still get there though if I really push something!