Questions about low Vitamin D

Options
Cindym82
Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
OK, so resently my doctor said my blood tests showed very low vitamin D, and I started taking suplliments for it. With that being said I had googled side effects of low vitamin D and what it does to you, I would like to know if anyone personally has benefited in any way with increasing their vitamin D due to doctor's orders. Thanks

Replies

• Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I live in a very northerly climate, so I take extra Vitamin D all year long to help with SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder - which primarily strikes in winter)...I've been taking it for years and never suffered any side effects from it. Talk to your pharmacist and ask what dosage he/she would suggest for you.

Good luck!!
  • RileeMarie
    RileeMarie Posts: 113
    Options
    I am also on dr's order to take vitamin D, due to being low. I started out at 2000 IU daily for one month and now I only take 1000 IU daily. so far I have had no side effects and have my blood taken usually once a month (due to pain meds I am on, they are monitoring my liver and white blood count) and so far the Vitamin D is right on target.
  • tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have. I had my vitamin D level tested last year around this time after suffering from a sprained foot. Something I said to my orthopedist made him tell me to get them tested. It was low. Around that same time I was also having issues with depression and just not feeling like myself. I started taking vitamin D and it helped me start feeling more human. I seriously started feeling better all around.

Vitamin D deficiency is very common, especially during the winter when we're not out in the sun much or at all. I hope you see a nice improvement from taking vitamin D. I credit it with helping me to stay off of anti-depressants last winter.
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I started taking it to help with mild depression, I also started taking b vitamin complex, has worked wonders I have more energy (b vitamins) and motivation to do things and the depression is almost non-existent, kind of awesome really
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Here is a link from Web Md. This should help explain it. I will say I live in Central Florida and I take a Vitamin D supplement. Doctor's order's. I take Viactive. Taste's like a tootsie roll to me.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/vitamin-d-deficiency
  • emilyhawarah
    Options
    I had the same issue at the end of the year last year and have been taking Vitamin D supplements (10,000 IU a day) since then. For me, the main benefit has just been that I am feeling generally better.

I am a former ballerina and have a few injuries from overuse of some joints earlier in my life. I have noticed that I do not have that same joint pain (in my hips mostly) anymore. And I wake up without all of the creaking I used to wake up with in my ankles and feet.

Hope that helps a little!
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    My mum has recently been prescribed vitamin D supplements, as her levels were extremely low. She felt tired and ill all the time. Since taking them, she seems to have much more energy and be in much better spirits too.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been on theraputic Vit D3 for a few years. Taking the supplements improved my quality of life immensely. I can do my 8 hour job, and then exercise without the aches and pains I use to have. So much of those aches were due in fact to my obesity, but I struggled to just go for a walk and that didn't see right. It took a good 4-6 weeks for the supplements to 'kick-in' and that was discouraging. I wanted to feel better faster. Then I decided to have weight loss surgery and the reduction in pain increased my ability to exercise for longer periods. As a result, I dropped weight and recently had the surgery. Right now I'm taking 1000iu Calcium Carbonite, along with an extra 2000iu D3. There's even 400mg in the multi vite I take.

I try not to read internet information on 'too much Vit D.' I follow my MD's suggestions and so far it's been very beneficial for me.

Good luck.
  • kvhmc
    kvhmc Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've never been deficient in vitamin D but its major associated problems are osteoporosis and osteomalacia, both due to defective bone mineralisation. I'm not able to say if you were to feel any improvements from taking supplements, but I think this is more of an internal problem you can't measure, because you don't normally know how your bones feel as there is no sensation in them. However, you'll decrease your risk of bone fractures which is obviously very important!
  • Mia2891
    Mia2891 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was put on a very high weekly dose of vit D by my dr. due to very low levels. Before I was always tired, I could never get enough sleep. Now I wake up refreshed after 7-8 hours and can make it through the whole day without feeling the need for napping like I did before. I Hope this helps.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I got really low in my Vit d - down to a 7 - I felt horrible for months leading up to the test. It started with unusual amounts of pain; for instance if I bumped my hand against something, it would hurt like someone just hit me with a hammer - and after awhile, I just couldn't move I was so tired all the time. I really thought I was dying of something. Anyway, I took the prescription strength D for 2 rounds, then I went on maintenance of 10,000 iu a week. It took about a month to start feeling better. After I got back up to the minimum reading - 30- I decided to stop taking the supplement. Big mistake. I just started sliding back down. I work outside, so I get plenty of sun, but it just isn't enough for me. I recommend taking it if your test is below 30.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I got a 20 on the test, he recommended starting at 1000IU and we will retest when I go back to test my thyroid in may....I'm hoping I start to feel better, I do know it wont happen over night but just wanted some personal experiences, thanks so much for the input!!!