Silly question. Barefoot workouts.....

Options
Does anyone else workout barefoot? I did gymnastics for 10 + years and I can't stand wearing shoes while exercising. It just feels wrong. I workout at home (i know that barefoot at the gym would be gross). I do Jillian videos and have a stationary bike. But while watching the girls in the videos with their fancy kicks I just can't help thinking, how can they stand that??? LOL:tongue:

Replies

• Twylyght
    Twylyght Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love working out barefoot, but I hurt my ankle doing it! I wear my shoes now (I workout at home too) even though I would much rather be in barefeet or socks. If I don't wear mys shoes, then I definitely have to wear my ankle brace so that my ankle doesn't hurt for a week. A good motivator for me to take the time to put my shoes on!
  • leslielightfoot
    leslielightfoot Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i was a gymnast too Jen and i love being barefoot but my ankle (i have a bad one) couldn`t bare the jumping. i finally found a pair of reebok shoes that are not super constricting on my feet and i`m finally happy wearing shoes. they don`t feel cramped and confined. my last pair of runners: it felt like i could feel every seam of the shoes sole on the bottom of my feet and i hated working out in them. i tried walking on my treadmill in crocs a few times and i could tell it was going to hurt my ankles in the long run so i quit that.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. I figure my feet were designed to be stood on, so I don't see a problem.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I workout in bare feet as well. I tried shoes, but they just made me very clumsy and felt odd. Also made my calves hurt. I find bare foot much better and I have better balance.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    YES! I NEVER wear shoes while working out (unless I'm outside walking). I do Tae Bo DVDs at home and hate wearing shoes!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I do and I've never had a problem with it whatsoever. I even lift weights at home barefoot.
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    when i use the treadmill.. its always barefoot (its mine.. im the only one who uses it..) i perfer to never ware shoes.. i would love some new kicks that are lighter and not so sneakery...
    mine are too big and bulky
  • rjsbdsjas
    rjsbdsjas Posts: 20
    Options
    I do too when I am working out at home to an exercise DVD. Also am usually barefoot whenever I am at home. My feet just don't like being confined in shoes!
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I was a child gymnast and going sans shoes is the preferred method! I go without when doing an exercise video at home on carpet. I feel like I am less prone to injury. Otherwise I'm wearing sneakers.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Me too! If I'm doing a video, I'd much rather skip the shoes. Part of the reason is that my entire house is carpeted and I'll trip over my shoes if I wear them doing any kind of video.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else workout barefoot? I did gymnastics for 10 + years and I can't stand wearing shoes while exercising. It just feels wrong. I workout at home (i know that barefoot at the gym would be gross). I do Jillian videos and have a stationary bike. But while watching the girls in the videos with their fancy kicks I just can't help thinking, how can they stand that??? LOL:tongue:

Prob just has to do with what you're used to. I danced for a long time, and never worked out in the traditional sense, so at first it was weird to wear shoes. Now that I'm used to it, I'm thinking about switching down to a more lightweight shoe, like a barefoot style running shoe (I'm a runner now). Although when I do dvds at home (which is rare) I don't wear shoes---I don't see the point!

There is a guy who works out at my gym completely barefoot...seems a bit unsanitary to me!! Gym floors are gross!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I workout barefoot most of the time too. When I used to run Cross Country, and Track I would kick off my shoes almost as soon as the races started, even in the snow. The rule was you had to start the race with them off, but if they came off, you were not required to put them back on.
  • alistephens12
    Options
    I was a dancer and did lyrical dance (no shoes, really) and gymnastics as well. I hate, hate, hate shoes, when I work out and always went barefoot at home, to walk, clean house, workout, etc. I rarely wore anything but flip-flops, when shoes are mandatory. Even with a bad ankle like the others, I just couldn't stand to wear shoes. Then I got "track toe" from training to run 5Ks (it is an unbeleivable pain in your big toe knuckle, that can derail you for good if you are not careful). Now, I am wearing shoes ALL the time. I still hate it, but I hate the pain in my big toe worse. The point is, if you are going to work out almost everyday, age and your joints catch up with you, usually without warning. Might as well get some good shoes and get used to them now, before it is no longer a choice, or before you do damage and have to banish your "pretty" shoes to let it heal (which I have to do now).
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I work out barefoot a lot too. I even went as far as to get toe shoes! They are pretty neat because they don't feel as heavy as a real shoe. I actually liked them until I went for a walk outside in the Az summer heat and realized they are too thin to keep the bottom of my foot from being burned by the ground. Plus even though they say all terrain on them, the goat heads we have here still got through (granted those suckers seem to pierce almost every shoe!) :( ....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEylIpKuaqza0Hj_SkGQ9ybn9XVfVDjIyBSVck8XZ7swJqyJ6f7Qimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgAahCzWulHluXkhdJsh4zyrcxX0CbnUMP3pVQfNEWARNGNlpnww
  • KrHolmes
    KrHolmes Posts: 7
    Options
    I totally understand! I was a gymnist for years too when I was younger, and I prefer to be barefoot. I dance now, and I wear dance shoes, but overall I would rather have no shoes on at all because I get better traction (but I need them for turns or my feet stick to the floor and it isn't smooth sailing).

I started running last year, so when I'm doing arobics or running I definitely need the support from my sneakers.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I found when lifting any real weight that bare feet don't have enough natural grip to prevent my ankle from having a bit of an issue. I don't like lifting in sneakers either, but I found that wrestling shoes work great for me. Plenty of grip and support for the ankle, and no heel in the shoe so my feet are still flat on the floor.
  • MarkMenconi
    Options
    Gymnastics is a common thread here.... I also was a gymnast!

I love being barefoot, but workout in shoes; you definitely have to find a comfortable shoe to provide the best performance for your activities. I run and love the LIVESTRONG NIKE, it has a great comforting sole for my busted up ankles and shins.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I found when lifting any real weight that bare feet don't have enough natural grip to prevent my ankle from having a bit of an issue. I don't like lifting in sneakers either, but I found that wrestling shoes work great for me. Plenty of grip and support for the ankle, and no heel in the shoe so my feet are still flat on the floor.

Interesting. I may look into those. Wonder how Vibrams would compare with the wrestling shoe. And Chuck Taylors. I'd love to compare all 3 for weight lifting.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I love working out barefoot. Only issue is gripping the floor with my feet during certain exercises. I feel liberated. My husband has the vibrams thats close to running barefoot and he says he loves it.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I work out barefoot, too! Love it :)