B Vitamins - Is it just me??

Options
Holy cow, I took a new B vitamin complex supplement this morning because I heard that it could help with my energy levels and, boy, did it ever! I'm buzzing like I'd had ten cups of coffee! Is this normal??

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I wish B-vitamin supplements did that for me. Could it be the placebo effect?
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I'm seriously jittery. I just googled it, and it looks like B vitamins are added to energy drinks to add to the buzz. Maybe it is because I took it on an empty stomach?
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    It prob is bc you took it on an empty stomach, but I can tell a difference in my energy levels too when I take my vitamins (my multi has b-12 in it).

I worked at a doctor's office a few years ago, and we would get the nurses to give us b-12 injections once a month, and that first day was like being on speed!
  • KaraP18
    KaraP18 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I just started taking B-12 last week and it did not do this to me. It has kept me from being super tired in the morning at work but not like a crackhead.lol
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I take a multi with it in there. I was also referred to the b12 vitamin because of pain in the connecting of my tricep and bicep. If I dont take it the pain comes back, if I take it it goes away so thats why I take it. Otherwise I find no extra energy given to me by b12. I wish though. I have heard it helps with metabolism.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I was talking to my mother a few days ago and she said she gets a monthly B12 shot now that helps her energy levels tremendously. So, no, it's not just you. I used to take a b complex for the same effect, but I hate pills so these habits never last long with me. lol
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    they do it for me too. Also turn my pee neon yellow! lol
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    A co-worker of mine took one from my bottle and loved the feeling it gave him so much he went and bought his own bottle. I, myself, did not have the same affect. I do notice that my energy is more regulated. I don't have as many spikes in energy. I don't feel like I am going to fall asleep on the drive home which is what was happening before.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I wish they make me want to take a nap
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

how festive
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    They make me feel more awake, but not jittery. I haven't tried to take them on an empty stomach though. I do keep 2 bottles of all of my vitamins, one for work, one for home so if I forget to take them at one place, I have them waiting in the other. I try to buy them all at the buy one get one free sales.
  • GoldSag1
    GoldSag1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I take my B-Complex Vits daily along w/ a multi vit and Biotin! Energy levels are constant throughout the day! I never get sleepy in the afternoons or tired. I agree with others, I don't really get a spike of energy...it's more consistent than that. And yes, what your body does not use it excretes...usually resulting in bright yellow/greenish urine...sorry if TMI!
  • FruityLoops
    FruityLoops Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Just had to have a series of 5 B-12 vitamin injections about a month ago and unfortunately they did nothing at all for me :-(

Strangely tho what I have found makes me go crazy hyper like I've had too much coffee is decongestant tablets (that's not to say I take them when I don't need them just for the rush mind!) :-s
  • nmodes
    nmodes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've taken a B Complex with Vitamin C supplement for 20 years now and when I first began taking it (high school) my classmates thought I was on drugs! I'm definitely lethargic when I don't take it, can't live without it! I try to always get a supplement that has at least 300 mg of Vitamin C and at least 10 mg of Pantothenic Acid in it as they help with your body's immunity.
  • nmodes
    nmodes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    decongestants like Sudafed have a stimulant in them!
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Miss♥Ivi Posts: 461
    Options

Same here! :laugh:

I take a B-Complex with extra Biotin as well as a weekly B-12 injection and my energy levels are super consistent! I don't feel tired in the afternoon at all unlike before and my nails, hair and skin are looking fab (thanks to the Biotin!). After I get the B-12 injection, I feel like you do but that's only that one day. After that, my energy levels tend to stabilize.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    What brand did you take?

I'm currently being checked out by my GP as I am so tired all of the time and one of the tests they are doing is my B12 levels.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Based just on the title, I thought this topic was going to be about the color of pee. I've never noticed any difference in the way I feel after taking B vitamins, but I have noticed the neon yellow pee.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Yes, they do. If you ever look at the ingredients in 5-hour energy, its basically a shot of B vitamins (about 8000% of the daily dose). Sadly if you take supplements frequently, the effects die off.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I only take a multivitamin now, but am curious about the energizing effects of B vitamins after this and a post from last week: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/511438-how-i-got-out-of-a-rut