Has anybody tried alli?

Options
I was thinking about using alli.. but as i read the booklet on it, I figured to myself that I could do it and it wouldn't be a problem, but when i read the tailored meal plan, i kinda freaked out because they give you these meal suggestions that basically will still leave you hungry after you eat, like the strawberry-cream cheese wrap. you can only eat one of those and that's for breakfast! I love to eat, and that's not going to work! so i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions!:cry:

Replies

• ladylaycee
    Options
    I was thinking about using alli.. but as i read the booklet on it, I figured to myself that I could do it and it wouldn't be a problem, but when i read the tailored meal plan, i kinda freaked out because they give you these meal suggestions that basically will still leave you hungry after you eat, like the strawberry-cream cheese wrap. you can only eat one of those and that's for breakfast! I love to eat, and that's not going to work! so i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions!:cry:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I've been using it since it came on the market. I'm sure you know it's not one of those 'miracle pills' .You have to watch your calorie and fat intake. I personally do not follow their diet plan, I am just careful not to go over 15g of fat per meal. If you do....there are some quite unpleasant side affects. I don't suffer any side affects if I stay below 15grams, and avoiding these harmless yet unpleasant side affects really helps me stay on track. You do need to take a multivitamin every night because some vitamins and minerals don't absorb properly while taking Alli. Another thing, is that they state you should take a pill before consuming any meal with fat. I don't do this if I eat something with very little fat, such as, a bowl of cereal. If you have any questions, give me a holler.:smile:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    IF you really look at alli and what it does and what you are supposed to eat, if you would just do that anyway you wouldn't need to buy an expensive pill. There are several posts here regarding the use of alli and the side effects, that I don't think anyone wants (and from what the posts say the leakage that alli can cause is uncontrollable).

The tried and true way is to eat about 5-6 small meals a day (typically 3 larger and 3 snacks). The key to this is to eat at certain times, like every 3 hours. IT takes discipline but it can be done. You are given a certain amount of calories a day and with some planning you can prepare for the next day. You will need to start choosing foods that have fiber and whole grains to help you stay full longer and not quickie easy grab & go items. You will be hungry, lets face it your body is used to over eatting right now and in order to loose weight and get healthier you are going to have to put less "fuel" into your system. I think what shocked me most about eatting right was how little food your body needs everyday.

This has been a long journey for me but what I have learned is that there is no pill out there that is going to work long term. The only way to really loose long term is to learn how, what and when to eat and to exercise. Believe me, if there was another way I would do it but like you here many people say, you didn't get overweight overnight and you aren't going to get to a healthy weight overnight. Consistency is key. But don't pay for that pill, it's expensive and you are a guinea pig at this point, the alli pill has not been out long enough for long term side effects and results to really be revealed yet.
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    Not everyone has side affects, though, and the people that do are eating TOO MUCH FAT! It absolutely helps you lose 50% more weight than with dieting and exercise alone and I think it a safe product if you are disciplined and have to lose alot of weight. It's very much a personal decision and you should always weigh the pros with the cons.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I am not for or against them, I have a friend that tried it and it had her in the bathroom for 2 days.
    I found this in AARP regarding a few of them. Enjoy
    --Diann...
    The Truth about Fat Pills.
    From the AARP Research team. January Issue 2008
    Don’t expect dramatic results from today’s anti-obesity medications. Canadian researchers reviewed 30 trials of three weight loss drugs – orlistat (marketed as Xenical and as over-the-counter product Alli), sibutramine (Meridia) and rimonabant (not available in the United States). The nearly 20,000 people in the trials weighed an average of 220 pounds. Their weight loss? An average of 5 percent of total weight, or less then 11 pounds. “Most patients will remain considerably obese or over-weight even with the drug treatment,” concluded the reviewers, led by Raj Padwal, M.D., of Canada’s University of Alberta. “These results are indeed modest,” says Gary D. Foster, director of Temple University’s Center for Obesity Research and Education. “You don’t lose 50, 60, 70 pounds of body weight.” On the other hand, Foster says, even a drop of 5 percent of body weight can improve blood pressure and levels of blood sugar and cholesterol. The study was reported in the Dec. 8 British Medical Journal.
  • wuzzi
    wuzzi Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried Alli but I did think about it.

That is until I read a brief pamphlet on it which stated that many people will basically have to continue using it after they've reached their weight loss goals. If not, they stood the chance of gaining the weight back.

This kinda scared me because I really don't want to become dependent on anything. Being healthy is a lifelong commitement and I couldn't see myself being committed to a pill for the rest of my life. That might seem a little dramatic but I truly believe you can do it on your own.

Since I've started on this site I have been very diligent at recording everything I eat and my exercises and I've already lost 13 lbs! And that's only in 3 weeks!

Anyhow, I don't think Alli is an evil drug and I'm sure it really does help some people, I just think you should maybe do a bit more research to see if you really want to commit to it.

Good luck! :heart:
  • jessaweesz
    Options
    If your looking at using a supplemental diet pill to co-inside with your diet and exercise plan, then here is a site to check out first. http://www.ultimatefatburner.com/ This site gives reviews on diet supplements, plus they usually have user feedback. Good Luck!
  • williamsknollfarm
    Options
    I wouldn't be willing to take any medication that has potential side effects. Chances are high that down the line, they might find that it causes colon or bladder cancer and to me, if you have to diet along with it, what good is it doing and is that worth the possible problems down the line? When, the chances are pretty high that if you ate what they told you to eat, that you would lose a very similar amount of weight, but maybe for some people that feel a need to be on "something" it gives them the placebo effect.

I personally try my hardest to not buy into the brainwashing of the big drug companies because all they do is treat symptoms or make people feel like they need something and at what expense...most have proven to cause cancer or liver problems etc. and I love living too much to go down that path.

I must say though that I have bought many different diet "aids" like the chromium picolonate, hoodia green tea and even trim spa. I tried them all for about a week and didn't see any difference other than I was hungrier than normal and got jittery (combined w/my morning coffee) so I have near full bottles of these sitting around from various diet efforts but then read some books about prescription/nonprescription drugs and changed how I feel about using them.

This is the first time I have actually tried to change the way I eat and eat smaller meals throughout the day (I was a notorius eat nothing all day and then eat a grand dinner)...so it has been tough but just logging my food in each day helps me greatly. I'm also exercising nearly everyday and it has been slow but I've lost 6 pounds over the last 3 weeks without any extra "pill".
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    Allow me to clarify some things, because I don't want to sound like a spokesperson for Alli:smile:
    Some people need an extra boost, am I right? I had been dieting and exercising for quite awhile before I took Alli. I was doing great, but I just wanted to try it and see. I honestly did lose substantially more while taking it. Have you ever seen those pics with an asterik..*results not typical. maybe I'm not typical. I never relied on the pill and most days I didn't use it at all. Honestly, I have one more left and will most likely not purchase it again (it is a little pricey) I will continue on the path that I have always been on and I firmly believe before you ingest anything manmade, you should do your research on it. It boils down to this..this has been my experience that I thought I'd share......not trying to sound defensive:smile:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has side affects, though, and the people that do are eating TOO MUCH FAT! It absolutely helps you lose 50% more weight than with dieting and exercise alone and I think it a safe product if you are disciplined and have to lose alot of weight. It's very much a personal decision and you should always weigh the pros with the cons.

My point exactly, if you eat like you should you won't need the alli, logic says that if alli wants you to eat a healthy low fat diet or you may shart yourself then a person should be able to come to a logical conclusion that if they would just eat a healthy low fat diet anyway they wouldn't have to pay money for a pill to make them crap their pants if they eat bad.

:happy:
  • SoupNazi
    Options

My point exactly, if you eat like you should you won't need the alli, logic says that if alli wants you to eat a healthy low fat diet or you may shart yourself then a person should be able to come to a logical conclusion that if they would just eat a healthy low fat diet anyway they wouldn't have to pay money for a pill to make them crap their pants if they eat bad.

:happy:
    HAHAHA:laugh: I like the terminology!