How long does birth control take to leave system?

Options
Hi everyone, let me start by saying I DO NOT LOSE WEIGHT! I workout 6 times a week or more (2 workouts some days). Let me make it clear that I am not at a plateau and that I do not starve myself. Most people lose and then plateau, well I do not lose. I started working out hard in June 2011 I weighed 134.5, as of the last couple of weeks I'm 137. I go down to 135 then climb up to 137, back and forth.

My best friend said she wasn't losing weight while on the pill. Once see got off she started losing. Now I am not saying the pill made me gain weight, I do not think that at all but just maybe it's why I can't lose. Does anyone have any experiences with this?
I got off 2 weeks ago but have been on BC for like 20 years. Any thoughts?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Multiple studies show that the ONLY form of birth control to inhibit weight loss or cause weight gain is depo-provera. Sounds to me like a common case of overtraining. Which I know sounds crazy... But I would almost bet that's what it is. OR, you could have a thyroid problem. I would talk about that with your doctor and explore what is going to work for you.

As for your birth control I highly suggest you continue taking it. :)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are simply eating within your maintenance calorie range.

What happens when you reduce your intake by 500Cals for two weeks?

To your question, depends on the type. If it's a daily oral contraceptive it has a half life of....one day; meaning in 24 hours there will be half the quantity left in your system, half again after another 24 hours and so on. Negligible levels will remain after a handful of days.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I've found that when I went off birth control, I ended up losing weight easier.

Are the two necessarily correlated, I'm not sure. I just know I personally felt "better" once I got off the pill and I was more successful losing weight

I use Natural Family Planning now, and from what I was told there, I dont remember the exact time frame, but people on hormonal birth control coming off to do this are basically suggested to monitor for about 6 months before you can try to predict your fertile days. I've also heard the 6 months time frame from a Dr as well, but that is for trying to have a baby, not for weight loss purposes. I think its going to be different for every one, but i'd be inclined to say a bit longer the longer you have been on it.
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you are simply eating within your maintenance calorie range.

What happens when you reduce your intake by 500Cals for two weeks?

To your question, depends on the type. If it's a daily oral contraceptive it has a half life of....one day; meaning in 24 hours there will be half the quantity left in your system, half again after another 24 hours and so on. Negligible levels will remain after a handful of days.

I have tried 1200 plus exer cals, 1500 plus exer cals, now I'm going to try 1700 total.
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Miss♥Ivi Posts: 461
    Options
    My GYN told me it takes about 3-6 months depending on how strong your pill was. She also told me that pills higher in estrogen can cause weight gain and/or make it difficult to lose weight due to an increase in appetite and fluid retention.

I was taking Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo for 3 years mostly to regulate my menstrual cycle (I can't get pregnant) and I did notice they made my boobs bigger and I was a bit more bloated than normal during that time of the month BUT I didn't gain any weight or had trouble losing any. It all depends on the pill and on the person. See if your GYN can put you on one that's lower in hormones? I'm sure they can give you more options. :smile:
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like the overtraining hypothesis proposed by Rainbowbow. Exercising two times a day is a little excessive, and depending on the intensity of your workout, I'd say 6 times a week might be a bit much too. You need some recovery time.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Benefits of birth control pills far outweight the risks. If you think the one you're on is causing weight gain or retention, I would try another brand before going off them unless you're trying to get preggers.

I went off mine a few years ago and tried Natural Family Planning (NFP.) I loved it! That is until my body decided to ovulate two weeks early and I got pregnant. I have been on birth control pills for over 10 years and never had a pregnancy scare/accident (even with missed pills here and there.)

Theorectically birth control pills are out of your system within 24 hours which is why you have to take them every day and you should take them around the same time every day. Doctors typically advise you to wait 3 months before trying to conceive after going off birth control pills but I say bosh to that. A lot of women get pregnant on the first cycle off birth control pills and there are no medical dangers associated with it. The 3 month time frame is to give time for you to return to your normal cycle (which may not be 28 days; mine were anywhere from 36 to 55 days) and it also helps with the estimated due date.

*I would suggest for anyone stopping birth control to try to conceive to finish that last pack of pills. Stopping in the middle of a pack may wreck your cycle for a few months.
  • fallgoes
    fallgoes Posts: 10
    Options
    I second this question completely. I don't work out quite as much (3x a week w/ a trainer, 1-2x classes) but I have stuck on the 1200 cal plan and my scale has been hovering right about in the same place...I'll go up a couple of times, then down, but basically ending up long term in exactly the same range.
    About a year and a half ago (while not on birth control), I went on a controlled calorie (1500), close-to-Paleo diet and dropped weight very nicely, so I know my body *can* do it. I'm eating less calories (most days) now and nothing doing. The only other thing different is the BC pills.
    I'm planning to see my doctor about it, because 20 pounds since September and *still* not seeing *any* result is nearing an obsession for me.
    What else could it be? Any ideas out there, please shout!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It took me three months to feel like I was really off it all. I was on for 20 years.
  • kaybeepickles
    Options
    They say prevention wise the effects are out of your system immediately. As far as cleansing from your organs etc... I'm not sure... few days perhaps? But what I can tell you is that I see a neurologist now most likely due to BC. I started the pill in my mid teens never having ANY issues with headaches or any other problems. Around the age of 22 I started getting headaches by the time I was 24 I could barely leave the house. Any type of physical activity like working out of even staying out all day and net thing I knew I had a headache, perfumes, strong odors, to much light, being around smoke... everything seemed to trigger my headaches. I began seeing a neurologist and took all the proper steps getting a CT scan etc. Nothing is wrong with me... but why the headaches? Come to find out that taking BC just like certain other drugs can actually ALTER your bodies functions! Apparently the BC altered the glands in my body that should be producing and leveling out my natural hormones but the BC messed them up! We're hoping that eventually things will begin to work properly again. I am now 28 and take heavy meds to prevent and treat the headaches. Since I have been off BC and have switched to the NON hormone Paragard IUD I am feeling over all better. Also, I gained A LOT of weight bec of the hormone issue and not being able to be active. Since Jan. I've lost around 15 pounds and am beginning this week to add in physical activity.

It is a good possibility the BC has also altered things function wise within your body. Give it some time, perhaps trying the Paragard IUD if you still need prevention. There are also some natural herb remedies you can try to get those areas of your body functioning better. Hopefully once things begin to even out you will find weight loss will begin.

I wish you the best! Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
  • zasiiniya
    zasiiniya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've been on BC since June and didn't gain weight. I'm still on it and I haven't had a problem losing weight. From this thread it sounds like I'm lucky!
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I just feel that I have done everything right for so long and it does not make sense that my weight would stay the same. I had my thyroid checked in 2009 and it was fine. I plan on seeing the doctor again in 2 months which should give me enough time to lose something if it really was the BC. As far as protection my husband will have to take that responsibilty for the next couple of months and trust me he has no intentions of coming near me without protection.

As far as messing with my cycle, I have incredibly messed up cycles anyway. It was the reason I went on the pill so many years ago. I just can't explain what the problem with losing weight has been. Believe me when I say I track and log everything, no matter how embarrasing it is. Even if I make terrible choices and eat candy all day, I track it.
  • worej
    worej Posts: 108
    Options
    I just feel that I have done everything right for so long and it does not make sense that my weight would stay the same. I had my thyroid checked in 2009 and it was fine. I plan on seeing the doctor again in 2 months which should give me enough time to lose something if it really was the BC. As far as protection my husband will have to take that responsibilty for the next couple of months and trust me he has no intentions of coming near me without protection.

As far as messing with my cycle, I have incredibly messed up cycles anyway. It was the reason I went on the pill so many years ago. I just can't explain what the problem with losing weight has been. Believe me when I say I track and log everything, no matter how embarrasing it is. Even if I make terrible choices and eat candy all day, I track it.

I feel like I've really, really been there. I spent a long time trying to lose weight, and just couldn't do it. I felt like I was doing everything right, but it still wasn't happening.

When I did go off of birth control, the weight slowly did come off for a while. But I also changed a lot of my habits, too, so it's hard to say if it was the birth control or not. I thought I was doing really well before, and eating super healthy, but I had a really poor comprehension of what healthy eating actually looked like.

I've been back on for about six months now, and have put a couple pounds on... but I'm also eating like crap on account of the new boyfriend, too. So it's hard to say if it's helped or not.

So I guess I don't have any real advice, other than to just keep trying. Maybe you can try without birth control for like six months and see what happens? It might also help to try a different routine or a different diet theme. Try making protein a larger portion of your calorie consumption, for example. Or switch from the elliptical machine to the treadmill for a while, and see if that change helps. Maybe you're doing enough right now, but just not the right combo for your body.
  • RiverDestiny
    Options
    I started Rigevidon in February and stopped it two months after.

It gave me terrible mood swings, headaches and every other side effect listed! I had no sex drive whatsoever which frustrated me so much. What is the point in going on the pill if you have no desire for sex??

I also gained 6 kilos in 2 months. I weigh 56kg now and have never weighed that much in my life!

It's been a week since I've stopped taking it. My weight hasn't changed at all!

What do I do? I'm really worried I will never lose weight and will stay like this.

I've been exercising and eating perfectly (only once/twice a day!) and still nothing has changed!

Has anyone ever stayed the same weight forever after stopping the pill??

Please help! :(
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight while on the birth control pill. I went from 81kg to 71kg. My doctor was delighted because he was sick and tired of the teenage girls filling his office looking for pregnancy tests and being "so scared" yet they didn't want to get on BC because "I'll get fat!"

Of course, I've since gained a LOT of weight. But that was due to poor exercise and diet habits. Nothing else.

You'd never get me off it unless I was trying to get pregnant, now. Thanks to BC, I can actually function every month, instead of lying on my bed howling in agony feeling like someone stuck a knife in me and was twisting. (I can actually EXERCISE during my period now, instead of being a useless immobile pile of pain!)
  • kylieallthetime
    Options
    Ok girls let me tell you, I am in the EXACT same boat.
    I really, really, really wish I could get the answer to this question.
    I am going to the gym 3-4 times a week. I was doing 60 mins of cardio the first month, and now the last 6 weeks I have been doing 35 mins cardio and introducing some weights. (someone told me 60 mins was too much)
    I track everything I consume on the myfitnesspal app, and I am keeping it under 1500 a day.
    I am on Try-cyclen lo which is one of the lowest hormonal dose pills you can take, and since I started taking it 6 months ago I had gained 15-20 pounds!!!
    I so I started going to the gym and eating clean cutting out sugars and carbs (for the last 2 months or so) and I read that estrogen can make you retain water...so I have been drinking 6-9 glasses of water a day.
    I have only lost 4 pounds. I feel like I am doing EVERYTHING I can to loose weight, before I went on the pill It was very very easy for me to loose weight I wasn't even overly strict on what I ate, and I did some sit ups and my stomach was flat after a couple days. I never worked out. I feel that if I was not on the pill I would loose the weight SOOO quickly!!
    I think the pill is making it very difficult to loose the weight. What is wrong with me? so many friends have been on the pill and didn't gain more than 5 pounds.
    I really want to go off the pill, but I read that it takes 3 months or more until the weight comes off anyways.
    I asked the pharmacist where I get my BC and he didn't know what to tell me.
    someone please help, im almost becoming obsessed I HAVE to loose the weight I can barely look in the mirror none of my jeans fit.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, let me start by saying I DO NOT LOSE WEIGHT! I workout 6 times a week or more (2 workouts some days). Let me make it clear that I am not at a plateau and that I do not starve myself. Most people lose and then plateau, well I do not lose. I started working out hard in June 2011 I weighed 134.5, as of the last couple of weeks I'm 137. I go down to 135 then climb up to 137, back and forth.

My best friend said she wasn't losing weight while on the pill. Once see got off she started losing. Now I am not saying the pill made me gain weight, I do not think that at all but just maybe it's why I can't lose. Does anyone have any experiences with this?
    I got off 2 weeks ago but have been on BC for like 20 years. Any thoughts?

First, what your describing as to weight is a healthy maintenance. Weight naturally fluctuates.

As for birth control, I have not found it easier or harder to lose weight on or off the pill. I think you probably initially retain water due to the hormones, but for me it always seemed to come off after awhile unless I ate at a surplus.

My guess is that you are miscalculating your calories in and your calories out (exercise). It's so easy to do.
  • obdrdiva
    obdrdiva Posts: 1
    Options
    Birth control pill hormones are out of your system in 24-48 hours. That is why when you are on them you start a period during the placebo pills. They do not affect you longer than that.
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Birth control pill hormones are out of your system in 24-48 hours. That is why when you are on them you start a period during the placebo pills. They do not affect you longer than that.

This is my understanding too.

Your body might take time to get back into a natural cycle, but the effects of the pill dissipate pretty fast.
    I quit the pill in December 2011 to get ready to conceive, didn't pay much attention to the whole thing because I always heard it takes MONTHS to get out of your system. I started charting my cycle in March. In April I fell pregnant with twins.
  • cidrama
    cidrama Posts: 1
    Options
    me too! I just got off the pill a few days ago & I'm hoping I can start to lose soon. Did you go off the pill and start to see better results?