What am I doing wrong??

Options
13»

Replies

• DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    Here is the additional problem I have, yes I do eat a far amount of processed foods but the reason being is because I can eat anything fruits or vegetables or nuts unless they are processed in some way otherwise my throat swells shut and my mouth swells and my lips get...well....huge. My mom says it is the mold content and the processing of it takes care of the mold. I don't really know.

I would love to have a banana for breakfast, or an apple with my lunch but I can't unless I want to die basically. lol

HUH??? I've never hear of this. What is the name of this ailment and what have doctors said??

As for caloric burn for zumba, as someone else said, every body is different. I wear a HRM and I do burn between 650 - 750 calories in an hour long class - I'm sure my lack of coordination and frivolous movements add to my burn! I do work out hard, though, and know my heart rate is accurate as I take a pulse count, too.
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Please don't take offense at this but Why are people so focused on their scales? Take your measurements. stick to your calorie goal..keep an eye on your sodium intake and drink alot of water. More than 8 cups a day. Scales fluctuate so much..seriously it's really hard on your confidence if you stay focused on the # on the scale. Today is day 91 on MFP for me. I have only lost 12 lbs, But i have lost 20+ inches in my waist,hips,bust,butt, and arms. i avoid the scale, because anytime i have worked my *ss off ..stepped on it and not seen a significant change it has discouraged me. then i get down on myself and for a split second i want to give up. I weight in twice a month. that's it.

Just keep doing your best. don't second guess yourself all the time, and do not give up! :)
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    HUH??? I've never hear of this. What is the name of this ailment and what have doctors said??

Stated in the post above, don't want to seem like some kind of freak, it just limits what I can and can't have. I am trying the best that I can with what I am able to eat. Just didn't want to make it seem like I am completed opposed to having them. I crave them actually.
  • garita93
    Options
    Please don't take offense at this but Why are people so focused on their scales? Take your measurements. stick to your calorie goal..keep an eye on your sodium intake and drink alot of water. More than 8 cups a day. Scales fluctuate so much..seriously it's really hard on your confidence if you stay focused on the # on the scale. Today is day 91 on MFP for me. I have only lost 12 lbs, But i have lost 20+ inches in my waist,hips,bust,butt, and arms. i avoid the scale, because anytime i have worked my *ss off ..stepped on it and not seen a significant change it has discouraged me. then i get down on myself and for a split second i want to give up. I weight in twice a month. that's it.

Just keep doing your best. don't second guess yourself all the time, and do not give up! :)

I have lost 1/2 inch overall! I measure every week.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Water weight. When you exercise, and particularly with increasing exercise, your body stores water for 2 reasons. One, it stores water for aid in muscle repair, and two, when you exercise, you use glycogen. When you increase exercise, your body stores more glycogen in preparation for the increased exertion. It takes roughly 4 parts water to store one part glycogen, so if your body stores an extra pound of glycogen, you will also gain 4 pounds of water weight.

As for the person who suggested it was muscle, it takes months of hard work and eating over maintenance to build 4 pounds of muscle, you can't accidentally do it in a week on a calorie deficit.
    ^^^^This. Depending on your body and intensity, etc, you can see gains like this for a short time (few weeks) and hold on to it for a few weeks more, again depending on your body. But the plus side of this is that you will usually start to see really good losses after your muscles stop storing this excess.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Water weight. When you exercise, and particularly with increasing exercise, your body stores water for 2 reasons. One, it stores water for aid in muscle repair, and two, when you exercise, you use glycogen. When you increase exercise, your body stores more glycogen in preparation for the increased exertion. It takes roughly 4 parts water to store one part glycogen, so if your body stores an extra pound of glycogen, you will also gain 4 pounds of water weight.

As for the person who suggested it was muscle, it takes months of hard work and eating over maintenance to build 4 pounds of muscle, you can't accidentally do it in a week on a calorie deficit.

I never said 4 pounds of muscle. I said "some muscle and water retention to heal the muscle". Just because I was a little confused when I typed doesn't mean people should laugh at me. I'm new and still learning too. I was just trying to help out. :cry:
  • garita93
    Options
    I just wanted to give an update, since I first posted this thread I have lost 23lbs! What changed, water intake and I adjusted my net calories to less. Finally found what worked for me. And I have lost 11 inches in the last 2 weeks. It amazes me how much you misunderstand a concept then it clicks and it is really whatever works best for you and your body. Thanks to all of you who posted ideas and encouraged me to look at things differently. :flowerforyou: