all my sweets lovers: any tips on night time munching?

Options

Replies

• blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    unsweetened chocolate dipped in honey
    strawberries
    marshmallows or peeps
    Hershey kisses - milk chocolate - 3=66 calories
  • LoveAngie23
    Options
    Yogurt is one of my favorite foods and you can get light, low fat, etc. Yoplait has a ton of different flavors. Frozen fruit is delicious. I've started eating a tablespoon of peanut butter on a piece of bread and I have no idea why but that actually helps curb my sweets cravings.
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    sugar free jello works for me and almonds will do in a pinch...also, that 3-2-1 cake - yummy stuff! i did that this weekend with strawberry cake mix and it was delish!

some of these tips are excellent!

thanks!
  • OhioMade
    OhioMade Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here! With me, I do the following:

*find an herbal tea you like, (mandarin, berry, etc)

*gum (Extra Dessert Delights are great, I love the Apple Pie, Strawberry Shortcake, Keyline Pie flavors, 5 calories per stick and you burn 5 calories chewing every 30 minutes, so you can change up every 30 minutes to a fresh stick without a calorie impact---I do this at work too, seems to make the day go faster!)

*I am a big fan of the Weight Watchers/Skinny Cow ice creams...100-140 calories, depending on what you choose...you might have to try several varieties/types until you find a couple that really speak to you

*Greek yogurt (non fat fruit variety) is an excellent swap for ice cream, around 140 calories if you are an ice cream fan

And save some calories for "treats" each day if you know you'll want to have them.

Finally, stick to your calorie allowance! Good luck!
  • jsong11
    jsong11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've found that most of the time, when I have a sweets craving, I really just need one bite and then I'm happy. (which isn't to say that I wouldn't also be happy finishing the whole pint of ice cream, or the entire cupcake..)

I usually start by taking the portion that I'm allowed to have and putting the rest away. I take my bite or smaller portion, and relish it. I also use sweets as a small reward for a harder or longer workout.

And the times when I do splurge too much on my sweet tooth, I'll just try to compensate with more activity. Maybe if you figure out how many jumping jacks you would have to do to equate with one bite of chocolate, you can use that to satiate your sweet tooth without going over your net budgeted calories.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    at night - oh boy, am i addicted to sweets. I try super hard to clear my mind of thinking of chocolate, cookies, cake, etc but then that is all i can think about and i will not be happy until i get a piece! any advice on how to override this way of thinking?!

I do 2 things and both have a good dose of fiber to keep me satisfied. The first is a Vitalicious Brownie. They are 100 cal with 6g fiber, 1.5g fat and 3g protein, and they ROCK! You can find them in the organic freezer section of your grocery store. The second thing I do is 1/2c (or more) Fage Total 0% Greek Yogurt and add about 8 drops of liquid stevia and 2TBS unsweetened cocoa powder and 1/2 chopped banana. It has 135 cal, 5g fiber 13g protein 1g fat. I actually mix this is large batches and refrigerate and freeze portions to have at the ready.

Good luck!
  • jessicaacampbell1
    jessicaacampbell1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just tried over the weekend making 73 calories chocolate cupcakes. They actually taste great and you're cutting down on the crap that make regular cakes so delicious and fattening. I figured it I can't kick the habit, I'll make something that hit my craving.:smile:

how exactly do you make them?

Makes apprx. 20-24 cupcakes
    1-Box of Betty Crocker "Super Moist" Chocolate Cake (Mix Only)
    1-15oz Libby's Pumpkin Pie Mix

Remember use the (Mix Only), no eggs, water or oil. The batter is thick, but it does rise to cupcake consistency. I also added 1 tbsp of Nestle chocolate chips apprx. 70 calories to cut some of the pumpkin flavor. Equaling 79 Calories. Going to test out other flavors, hopefully I'll have the same results!

Best of Luck :drinker:
  • jessicaacampbell1
    jessicaacampbell1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just tried over the weekend making 73 calories chocolate cupcakes. They actually taste great and you're cutting down on the crap that make regular cakes so delicious and fattening. I figured it I can't kick the habit, I'll make something that hit my craving.:smile:

how exactly do you make them?

Makes 20-24 cupcakes
    1-18.25oz Betty Crocker "Super Moist" Chocolate Cake (Mix Only)
    1-15oz Libby's Pumpkin Pie Mix

Remember use the (Mix Only), no eggs, water or oil. The batter is thick, but it does rise to cupcake consistency. I also added 1 tbsp of Nestle chocolate chips apprx. 70 calories to cut some of the pumpkin flavor. Equaling 79 Calories. Going to test out other flavors, hopefully I'll have the same results!

Best of Luck :drinker:
  • Robloy
    Robloy Posts: 1
    Options
    FiberOne Brownies (90 cal) or Hersey Dark Chocolate miniatures (40 cal) are my sweet tooth fillers. I also will eat a few almonds with cinnamon if I do not need the chocolate flavor. Depending on the timing I usually brush my teeth an hour before bed (9 pm) and that seems to stop any late night cravings.

I used to leave 150 calories for after 7pm snacking and usually found some junk to fill the 150, but I found that if I was at my limit I felt too guilty to snack so now I try to reach my limit by 7pm with an apple to veggies and I mentally avoid the sweet tooth because I have no more calories.
  • lauraemthomson
    lauraemthomson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hartleys 10 cal jelly... if u want something very sweet caramel snackajacks 55cals!
  • dismum
    dismum Posts: 12
    Options
    Eat Muller light Fat Free Yoghurt with a meringue birds nest broken up into this with a sprinkle of fresh fruits ie blueberry's or strawberry's kills the hunger and satisfy the sweet craving :-))

One of my favourite ways to satisfy my sweet tooth too
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Sugar free jellly, and fresh or tinned fruit, or.....if you have enough cals left, have a few!!
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    As someone earlier posted, I've found that herbal teas can work really well, particularly fruity ones or even earl grey from Starbucks as they have a natural sweetness that usually takes care of the fix!
  • icarusdragon
    Options
    It is Mmmmm :smile: and it does fill you up with very little guilt :-)) I have real problems at night getting the munches even though I'm not really hungry just bad habit and mainly due to me not eating at regularly times of the day whoops :bigsmile:
  • skaboom163
    skaboom163 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Weight watcher or Skinny cow individual cups of ice cream. They are about a half cup size, which is good cus who can measure a 1/2 cup when you have a whole half gallon in front of you?!?! Secondly, they taste like the real thing and clock in at around 100 calories. Just watch the flavors, though because some have more fat than others. I like the mint chip because the mint takes your mind off other cravings...
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    *Dark chocolate 70-72%-give it a chance for a week or so and it will begin to satisfy you. It tastes weird at first but I love it now. I crave it at night but I wonder if it is keeping me up!
    *sugar free jello is yummy
    *skinny cow works for my sugarholic husband
    *Quaker chocolate peanut butter chewy granola bars
    *clementines love love these
    *little grape juice
    *real fruit pops
    *dry cereal

I have all these textures on hand so I can readily choose the one I want for the day. GOOD LUCK FINDING YOUR HEALTHY FIX!!
  • Careolyn
    Careolyn Posts: 61
    Options
    1 square of dark chocolate every night satisy's my cravings... or...
    -or I take 1 tbsp of nutella, microwave it and then drizzle it onto a banana.
    -or ryvita crackers with PB and brown sugar (easy on the brown sugar though, just a taste!)
    - fat free vanilla yogurt with mango & ice and blend in blender
    - slice a pear, arrange it flat in a pan, drizzle maple syrup (pure is best) and sprinkle walnuts and a few dark chocolate chip pieces and bake
    - frozen cool whip (like 2 tbsp)... it's sooo good! :)
  • Careolyn
    Careolyn Posts: 61
    Options
    Also, This recipe is amazing and tastes sooo good and sweet. It's still got sugar in it, but because your cutting out the flour it kinda even's itself out- as carbs turn into sugar!! Anyways, i make it, freeze it in individual portions and have it for dessert when I need a sweet fix.
    Black Bean Brownies

Preheat oven to 350ºF.
    9-inch square metal baking pan, greased.

Ingredients:
    - 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
    - 3 eggs
    - 1/3 cup canola oil
    - 2 tbsp vanilla extract
    - 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
    - ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    - 1 ½ tsp baking powder

Directions:
    1. In food processor, puree beans, eggs, oil and vanilla for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth.
    2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, cocoa and baking powder. Pour in bean mixture and stir until smooth.
    3. Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.

Makes 12 brownies.
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    I haven't tried these yet, but 93 cal chocolate cupcakes!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/super-moist-low-fat-chocolate-cupcakes.html
  • footballmom12
    footballmom12 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My major crave is choc. So I got dark chocolate chips...you can have 20 for 70 cals!!!