Help me dress for an interview!!!!

Options
Cordy_in_CT
Cordy_in_CT Posts: 134 Member
I have an upcoming interview, and not sure what will be appropriate to wear. The job is a secretary to the Principal at a local Middle School. Everything I read online suggests a suit, preferably a skirted suit with solid color blouse. Seems boring and predictable. I don't want to look like I went out and bought a suit for the interview (which is exactly what I'd have to do). Is a dress appropriate??? Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated!!! :blushing:

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    What I've always heard is it is better to over dress than under dress. I'd stick with the classic skirt suit and then once you're there you can check out what others wear to work and then base your future wardrobe on that.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I wear cute slacks and blouse to an interview. I live in dresses/ skirts but I think some nice black slacks are more common for interviews.
  • MichelleB82
    Options
    You could always wear dress pants and a shirt its neat and tidy. I wouldnt go out and buy a new suit if you dont have too....Good luck with your interview !!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    A suit, either a skirt or slacks.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I would go for a pant suit... black/gray and a colorful blouse under - you need to look serious enough for the job, but down to earth enough to be able to deal with students... light on the makeup and simple hairstyle...
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Do the suit. Currently conducting interviews and truth is, we don't let the CFO even meet them if they aren't dressed professionally. When you take the time to look good for the interview, it shows you truly want the position.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I am a hiring manager, so I regularly interview people. Wear a suit. You want to show that you know how to dress for a particular situation. It doesn't matter what the daily dress code is at the school for staff, you want the principal to know that if you need to attend a meeting with him/her with higher level people, or maybe help host such an event, that you understand how to present yourself and that you can represent him/her and the school properly.

My office is business casual, but I still expect applicants to dress appropriately for an interview. What if they need to meet with a client and represent the company? I need to know they understand that different situations call for different types of dress.

It's also a safer approach. If they didn't expect you to dress formally, and you do, you will create a positive impression that you are professional. But, if you don't, and they expected it, your chances of getting the job are pretty much gone.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Grey and Blue are power colors
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    Wear a suit and do not use any accessories with overt logos on them.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I had an interview with 2 men. I wore a fitted black dress. Needless to say, I got the job.
  • dragon_mom
    Options
    I would say a nice pair of dress pants and blouse. Throw a little cartigan or jacket over to show your personal style and some heels! Rock it girl! When confidence shows through in your style, you can't go wrong!
  • countinonme
    Options
    A dress cab be quite approriate for an interview. Just mind the hem length, neck and sleeves. Dress it as would if you had these children around on a constant basis. Hope it helps!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I usually wear a belted dress with a suit jacket or blazer. Everyone wears suits ... I think it's good to dress a little differently, while remaining professional and appropriate. Don't forget your confidence! Good luck!!
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Go for something like this.
    P11086393.jpg Maybe with a more fitted skirt, a pastel pink or baby blue shirt, tights, & black court shoes & a silver necklace, with matching earrings if you have your ears pierced.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Last time I interviewed I wore tan slacks, a pink and white striped blouse, and a black suit jacket. And shiny black high heeled shoes. I got the job.

I don't think you need to be SUPER SUPER dressy for this type of job. Definitely dress up more than what you would normally wear to the job once you get it. But personally, I don't think you need to go out and buy a suit if you have appropriate interview wear at home.

That said... you will interview best when you feel most confident. And if getting the suit makes you more confident, go for it!!!

Good luck!!!!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Definitely wear a suit (black, grey, or navy ... save the colored suits for Easter Sunday). And keep the blouse simple, which is why people recommend solid colors. A button-down is always a safe choice, but if you can find a t-shirt made of a quality fabric (think silky), that will work also. Avoid wearing bright patterns or overdoing the jewelry and accessories. No open-toe shoes. And make sure that whatever you buy is comfortable and fits you well. You don't want to be fidgeting with your clothing the whole time.

There is a happy medium with interview attire. Your punctuality (or lack thereof) will be the first thing they notice, and your clothing will be next. So you want to look like a professional, even if you won't be dressing that way every day. As others pointed out, they want to know that you understand that different situations call for different "levels" of professional dress. But when the interview is over, you want them to remember you before they remember what you were wearing, so it is not the time to show how much of a fashionista you are.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Anything that would be considered "professional office attire" in classic, solid colors...navy, black, gray, etc... paired with simple pumps or flats in a matching color. Also, don't overdo on jewelry or perfume. You don't want your prospective employer to be distracted by what you are wearing. Simple and tasteful is best.

Something similar to this is good: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Professional+office+attire+images&view=detail&id=1FBA23771FD6CA5D39F1CC3187CE46DC43B18D13&first=61&FORM=IDFRIR

And, if you want to make it a little more interesting, you could wear a solid colored shirt instead of the classic white.
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    yes, a suit look , either the pant or the skirt would be best for a school interview. I hire people for the company I work for all the time, and you would not believe what some of them come in looking like. I will not take them seriously if they do not respect me enough to come in dressed to get the job. Oh, they also have to have an impressive resume, too. Good luck !!
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    I'm going to have to disagree and say you should wear whatever you feel most comfortable and confident in (within reason, of course). If you don't feel confident in a suit- it will show and could hurt your interview. A dress is perfectly acceptable as long as it's professional. You want to avoid bold patterns, bright colors, or anything that could be distracting. You want their attention on you, not your attire.

I'm no fashion expert which is why I frequent Polyvore. Those gals have an eye for fashion and have helped me out on many occasions. You can browse through outfit ideas and if you're still unsure, you can use the "ask" sections to receive specific advice. Good luck! Be sure to update us!

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/search.collections?query=job+interview
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I work in HR and a suit is always the proper thing to wear. It does not have to be a skirt suit, pants are good too.