Would I do better if I stopped being vegetarian??

Options
124»

Replies

• seamonkey789
    Options
    We don't NEED meat protein, per se, but there is only one non-meat complete protein source that I'm aware of, the soy bean (tofu, edamame.) Every other plant protein is an incomplete source, and the trick is to find the right combinations to create complete proteins. Eating a ton of protein a day will be useless if you fail to get all 9 essential amino acids every day. Meat isn't completely necessary at all, but it's certainly a much more complete, easier to use protein source. Also, meat protein is usually much more bioavailable than plant proteins are.

Quinoa is another one
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    I went Vegan for health reasons and lasted about six weeks.

The problem for me was that I simply was spending too much time planning, shopping and preparing meals. Other than that, I think going Vegan is potentially a great way both to lose weight, as well as lower cholesterol, bp, etc. Bill Clinton, for example, is following a Vegan diet based on principles set by Dr. Esselystyn, and to an extent Dr. Dean Ornish who allows some low fat dairy. The other problem was -- since I was also on a low fat (under 10% of total calories) Vegan diet -- that it was very difficult for me to stay at what I considered my ideal weight unless I really loaded up on breads and pastas, which is not the best thing.

No doubt I would have had less problems following a Vegetarian diet that included dairy, cheese, eggs, etc., but simply a vegetarian diet would not have helped with my cholesterol and bp issues.

As stated, simply being vegetarian does not mean you're eating healthy, especially if you fill up on saturated fats from dairy, cheese, etc.

-- James
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and haven't had any problems losing weight or eating healthily.
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    Lean meat is good for you. I had a dear friend who went from a fat vegetarian to a skinny vegetarian (he's 6'1 and went from 260 to 175). Poor guy can't gain a bit of muscle except in his legs (which were hot because he was a runner). Anyways...he needs some meat. You would probably benefit from it.

I'm not saying you can't live healthy without it, because you certainly can. But it's better nutritionally to have it. Good luck on your decision...do what is right for you.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    No way I could get the protein I need if I were a vegetarian. Try eating small portions of fish or lean meat with two of your three meals a day. It could make sticking to your diet easier. If you are very active it might be much better for you. You need a lot of protein to build muscle. Going strictly vegetarian and get enough protein takes a lot of time and planning.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Okay, there is so much misinformation in this thread that it's hardly worth responding to everyone individually.

OP, if you need help or want some ideas, message me.

Or if you just want to eat meat because it's easier and you're "lazy" (your word choice, not mine!) and are looking for people to tell you that it's okay, then do that. In the end, your health and nutrition are strictly in your hands and if this weight-loss journey is something you are serious about, try to start thinking about the type of lifestyle you want surrounding food. Whether you eat meat or not, it still takes some planning and preparation to eat well, especially if you want to lose weight in a healthy fashion.
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options

All it means is that you aren't eating the right foods. Why are you eating so many carbs and so much sugar? I don't eat a TON of carbs and I crave and eat fresh vegetables with almost every single meal. If you re-focus your habits to a plant-based
    I never said that meat was the only option for protein. I said that the OP should try it and decide for herself. As tigersword said, meat is not a requirement for the diet, but it is easier to get complete nutrition from a wide range of foods, and meat is a readily available source or protein. I am not trying to debate the benefits of a meat diet to a vegetarian one. The OP asked a question and I answered. Will meat help her lose more weight? Yes... most likely.

How does eating meat help her lose more weight? Again, where are you getting your information?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    We don't NEED meat protein, per se, but there is only one non-meat complete protein source that I'm aware of, the soy bean (tofu, edamame.) Every other plant protein is an incomplete source, and the trick is to find the right combinations to create complete proteins. Eating a ton of protein a day will be useless if you fail to get all 9 essential amino acids every day. Meat isn't completely necessary at all, but it's certainly a much more complete, easier to use protein source. Also, meat protein is usually much more bioavailable than plant proteins are.

There are more than just soy: spirulina, quinoa, buckwheat, hempseed, amaranth, & soy products (there are many - and no, I don't just mean soy-based meat substitutes). Also, our bodies are quite capable of storing amino acids for days so as long as you get your protein from a variety of sources, it doesn't really matter if you perfectly match your protein sources at each meal as it once was thought.

Also, food labels only list complete proteins so as the mixes and matches occur, you are potentially getting even more protein than you think.

Lastly, I know a lot of people on MFP use shakes and protein powders. There are plenty of vegetarian and vegan protein powders out there, both with and without soy. The OP could always supplement with these if she was concerned about the protein piece.

To the OP, my advice is to listen to your heart. Do you want to be a meat-eater again or would you feel better about staying a vegetarian? If you would rather stay veg, there are options out there and there are some simple ways to ensure you are getting a more healthful, well-rounded diet than you are now. Eating meat won't make you thinner just as being a vegetarian won't either. It's all about the way you structure your diet. Best of luck to you!

The human body cannot store amino acids. They are the only macronutrient that the body cannot store. Excess protein is converted to glucose for storage, so the amino acids are gone. That is why essential amino acids are essential, you must get them from your food sources, as they cannot be made or stored.