Fit bit vs. Heart rate monitor with chest strap?

Options
dezwark
dezwark Posts: 144 Member
I am thinking of getting something to help me see what I am "actually" getting out of my workouts. I have a watch without strap but I don't feel that it is accurate. Any experience with these anyone? Recommendations?

Replies

• isys5
    isys5 Posts: 213
    Options
    I bought a FitBit as I was hoping it would be good for tracking calories for working out but I found it not overly accurate with the type of exercise I was doing, Turbofire & Chalene Extreme so lots of jumping and weights which Fitbit has a hard time with. You can enter in the estimate via MFP but what is the point right? So I gave my FitBit to my husband (who loves it) as he really likes tracking his distance for walking and soccer which FitBit works excellent for.

For actual calories burned, I would suggest the HRM with a strap as it would be the most accurate for tracking heart rate. The HRM without the strap only check your heart rate at a given time so again not as accurate as the strap which tracks the entire time. The calories burned is still an estimation based on calculations so just gives a general idea but I like the monitor as it pushes me to push hard to see if I can get my heart rate higher longer than my previous workout...or at least as hight.
  • dezwark
    dezwark Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    thank you both isys5 what kind of HRM do you have?
  • WannabeSexyBexy
    Options
    I have a FitBit which I love for the ease of linking the calories burnt to here and the fact that it makes you automatically more conscience about getting more movement into your day in general. As far as workouts go, yes it probably isn't as accurate as a HRM, but I find it to be generally quite good, bu then I mainly use it for running.

The other main advantage for me is the sleep monitoring, I always thought I was a good sleeper and wondered why I felt tired some days, and now I know thanks to the FitBit.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My fiance just bought me a chest-strap HRM (and I already have a FitBit) so I'll know soon enough. :D
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Polar is highly recomended i have a polar ft4 and love it thus far!
  • mandylanerocks
    mandylanerocks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit which I love for the ease of linking the calories burnt to here and the fact that it makes you automatically more conscience about getting more movement into your day in general. As far as workouts go, yes it probably isn't as accurate as a HRM, but I find it to be generally quite good, bu then I mainly use it for running.

The other main advantage for me is the sleep monitoring, I always thought I was a good sleeper and wondered why I felt tired some days, and now I know thanks to the FitBit.

Thanks for posting this! Everything you said just convinced me to buy a FitBit. (nothing against HRMs thou!)
    When I work out I'm either walking, running or hiking. I do Zumba occasionally but I have a way of estimating those calories burned. I also have trouble sleeping so I really think that would benefit me!! :) thanks!
    & I have lost 30 pounds already without it, so I think that it would just be a good tool for me to have for the remainder of my goal & for my future! :)
    thanks also for posting this topic!!! :):)

*edited because apparently I cannot type today! haha*
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my polar FT7!