Tips Wanted: Food Measuring and/or Weighing?

Options
hi all! i've been logging in to mfp and exercising for 40 days and have, so far, lost 22 pounds. i have about 100 more to lose to reach my goal weight. my biggest "shocker" so far in this journey is my complete lack of reality when it came to portion and serving sizes of the foods i ate. at least until i think i've learned this and can safely "eyeball" sizes, i am measuring just about EVERYTHING i eat and drink.

i'm looking for advice as to whether you think measuring food items or weighing them is more accurate/easier/more successful - and if you weigh food, can you suggest a good kitchen scale? also, any tips in general about serving sizes and portion sizes would be appreciated.

thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I do both. I measure things like olive oil, milk, peanut butter, cereal, etc. I weigh things like pasta, rice, veggies, fruit, etc.

As far as a scale, I have a digital one with a tare function, which rocks! Meaning, I can put a bowl or plate on it, then hit tare and add my actual food and it will tell me how much just the food weighs (without the bowl or plate).
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Definitely weight using a digital scale. Last week I tested this with cereal. The recommended serving was 3/4 cup or 30 g. I measured out 3/4 cup and then weighed it on the digital scale and it was actually 45 g. That means instead of 110 calories, it was more like 165 calories. I had been eating that for 2 months and wondering why I was not losing weight. If you do that with just one food per meal, you could easily go 200-300 calories over your allowance every day. The only thing I meaure now is liquids.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    When I first started out I weighed and measured everything. Eventually I just knew how much to use so I didnt have to weigh anymore. I would suggest a digital scale with the tare function. Good luck!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything, I like digital scales, they're easier to read and zero out. Mine is Taylor brand and it was about 60 bucks at Target. It's pretty too, so I don't mind leaving it out on the counter.
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I measure almost everything!!! I find it oddly fun, lol. I have the Perfect Portions digital scale (got it on Amazon.com), which is great because it comes with a book of codes, so you can enter the code for what you're eating and it brings up all the nutrition info on the screen. I use my scale to weigh meat pasta, veggies, anything!!! I use tablespoons and measuring cups to portion out things like oatmeal, yogurt,mayonnaise, peanut butter, salad dressing etc. It is easy to try and eyeball those things, but I'd rather measure for accuracy - it only takes a little extra time and is worth it for the peace of mind!
  • jenniferdances1
    jenniferdances1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I also weigh everything. I have a Biggest Loser digital scale that I bought at Walmart for about $25. I LOVE it!
  • dedarlin
    dedarlin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i measure, measure, measure...definitely thinking lately that i need a food scale though as well. i think it is possible i am underestimating my grain and meat portions for fear of OVERestimating :/
    i am always asking my boyfriend 'how much do you think this weighs?' as it sits on my plate, lol, probably not the most scientific method, so interested in hearing responses to the scale suggestions :)
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I do both. I measure things like olive oil, milk, peanut butter, cereal, etc. I weigh things like pasta, rice, veggies, fruit, etc.

As far as a scale, I have a digital one with a tare function, which rocks! Meaning, I can put a bowl or plate on it, then hit tare and add my actual food and it will tell me how much just the food weighs (without the bowl or plate).

I do this too :)
  • CherylPierce
    CherylPierce Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was shocked one day to discover I was eating 3 ounces of cheese while making a sandwich! Now I weigh and measure everything. I have an inexpensive scale that works for me, although a digital one sounds great! I may invest in one.

Doing this and logging it on MFP has made all the difference in the world for me.
  • jem33199
    jem33199 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I keep my scale on my kitchen counter, along with a liquid measure. I have dry measures easily accessible in the front of the silverware drawer. It is so easy to weigh/measure that I do it out of habit. This has made a huge difference for me. I don't know what kind of scale I have (I am at work and it's at home) but I agree with stormieweather that it helps a lotto have one that lets you "zero out" the bowl/cup/plate before you put the food on or in it. I don't put things on the scale when it's not in use because, over time, that can throw off the accuracy thescale. I weigh and/or measure almost everything when I'm at home (except fruits and vegetables). I hope this helps!
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    hi all! i've been logging in to mfp and exercising for 40 days and have, so far, lost 22 pounds. i have about 100 more to lose to reach my goal weight. my biggest "shocker" so far in this journey is my complete lack of reality when it came to portion and serving sizes of the foods i ate. at least until i think i've learned this and can safely "eyeball" sizes, i am measuring just about EVERYTHING i eat and drink.

i'm looking for advice as to whether you think measuring food items or weighing them is more accurate/easier/more successful - and if you weigh food, can you suggest a good kitchen scale? also, any tips in general about serving sizes and portion sizes would be appreciated.

thanks! :flowerforyou:

Yeah, I think measuring and weighing your food is way more precise and will definitely help you a digital scale, kitchen measuring cups, and measuring spoons (don't use a serving tbs or tbsp) are great tools for weight loss. I think you'll be surprised as to how much you're actually eating or maybe even not eating once you start measuring.
  • cheesesandwich
    cheesesandwich Posts: 79 Member
    Options

I do this too :)

This is what I do too. Only takes a few extra seconds and the tare function is awesome and super convenient.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's more successful, but for someone like me, it's too much work.

I eat pretty much the same thing every day, and eyeball my measurements (1/3C oatmeal in the am).

More often then not, I eat portion numbers that aren't weighed or measured.

eg. I'll eat a whole can of soup..(the nutrition is usually 1/2 or 1/3 of the can, so ill double or triple it)

a container of yogurt (35 per little cup)

2 or 3 pepperoni sticks (theyre 150 cals each)

For the most part, those numbers aren't something I have to measure or guess on, cause the nutrition is per item, not just a portion i'd have to calculate.

If that makes any sense.

I find lifes easier when you don't have to measure. Things like vegetables I wouldn't really worry about measuring anyway. It's usually what you put on them that'll get ya.
  • sssygirl
    sssygirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I measure everything! And boy was it an EYE OPENER! We bought a scale from Target I think..nothing fancy..but its amazing how skewed our portions are in this country! Especially with heaping portions at restaurants.

Keep measuring..I eye ball Salad Items like lettuce and veggies now because I have done it so many times.
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I do both. Really if you think about it they are kinda one in the same. You have to measure out the correct sizes when you weight things. I think it is important to do both. I measure dry foods and like my condiments, but i for sure weigh my meats. I generally go with the after cooked weight. I use a ww food scale which is very nice it does lots of nifty things. Now if they could some how come up with a mini version i could just sneak into my purse for when i go places i would be set :)
  • Jweb8969
    Jweb8969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    thanks, everyone!! :o) i appreciate all the responses and will keep checking for more! this is great! looks like i will definitely be on the hunt for a kitchen scale! the linked scale looks AMAZING! definitely want to get one that 'zeros' out the weight of the container.

you are all great - thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my post!! :flowerforyou:
  • lkblazek
    lkblazek Posts: 36
    Options
    I can't add much more to what's already been said. I also weigh and measure my food. I use a digital scale with a tare function that is awesome. Wonder if we all have the same one. Mine is an Eat Smart Precision Pro Kitchen Scale. I also use the bathroom scales from this company. I decided on this one because of the reviews at amazon.com. The bathroom scales weigh exactly the same as the one at my doctor's office.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    This is my scale: http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Digital-Stainless-Steel-Kitchen/dp/B001QS087A/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1330968224&sr=8-34

I use it all day everyday. It's truly amazing to see the differences between what I think something is, and what it actually weighs. This scale is digital, it has the tare function, and it can handle up to 11 pounds. I also use wet and dry measures, but if I can weigh something vs. measuring it out I will.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I measure the volume of liquids and weigh just about everything else. Most things are sold by weight, and where both weight and volume serving sizes are given on the label, they often don't match up because the volume measurement is rounded off to the nearest quarter or third of a cup, tablespoon, or whatever.