cabbage rolls

Options
Hey all.... Im making stuffed cabbage rolls for dinner tonight.... Any good ideas for sides to go along with them?

Replies

• Tiffaney82690
    Options
    yum!! I always have had mashed potatoes with mine but thats no good lol maybe mashed cauliflower? with the right recipe they are fantastic I cant think of much else other than some more veggies lol
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, or maybe some brown rice...?
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    crusty bread. Thats how I eat them :happy:
  • casval75
    casval75 Posts: 13
    Options
    yum!! I always have had mashed potatoes with mine but thats no good lol maybe mashed cauliflower? with the right recipe they are fantastic I cant think of much else other than some more veggies lol
    Oh boy that sounds like a gassy meal! ;-)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Hummus and/or tabouli.
  • I made mine with fresh beets. Mashed parsnips would be amazing too.
  • drellbell
    drellbell Posts: 23
    Options
    I would love the stuffed cabbage recipe if you have it or could tell me where you got it, my kids are so picky but I have a head of cabbage and it needs to be cooked. I also have brown rice but no ground turkey which seems to be what all the ones I have found online are calling for

As far as a side I dont see anything wrong with mashed potatoes as long as you have a smal portion need some starch/carb with the meat and veggies :)
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would love the stuffed cabbage recipe if you have it or could tell me where you got it, my kids are so picky but I have a head of cabbage and it needs to be cooked. I also have brown rice but no ground turkey which seems to be what all the ones I have found online are calling for

As far as a side I dont see anything wrong with mashed potatoes as long as you have a smal portion need some starch/carb with the meat and veggies :)

Ingredients:
    2/3 cup water
    1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
    8 cabbage leaves
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1/4 cup chopped onion 1 egg, slightly beaten
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato
    soup ( I use the low sodium)

Directions:
    1. In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
    2. Bring a large, wide saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add cabbage leaves and cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until softened; drain.
    3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, 1 cup cooked rice, onion, egg, salt and pepper, along with 2 tablespoons of tomato soup. Mix thoroughly.
    4. Divide the beef mixture evenly among the cabbage leaves. Roll and secure them with toothpicks or string.
    5. In a large skillet over medium heat, place the cabbage rolls and pour the remaining tomato soup over the top. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring and basting with the liquid often.

Nutrition
    Information
    Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Calories: 223 Amount Per Serving
    Total Fat: 13.1g
    Cholesterol: 69mg
    Sodium: 657mg
    Amount Per Serving
    Total Carbs: 13.3g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.9g
    Protein: 12.8g
  • ConnieB1979