Setting and Focusing on Your Goals

Options
I have always had a problem staying focused. I know at a high level what I want to do but if I get busy at work, I find myself in reactionary mode for a few months and I lose track of my goals. I have been looking for an easier way to set and keep track of my goals and I think I found one. It's pretty early on but I like the way things are working so far.

First, some background. I was flying home from a conference in Las Vegas and read an article about a young man named Rob Summers. Rob was a promising pitcher for Oregon University who was struck by a hit and run driver and was paralyzed.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7373090/rob-summers-former-oregon-state-beavers-pitcher-paralyzed-accident-never-imagined-impact-world-baseball

In the article I read, he mentioned a book that his family had used his entire life called "It Works". I ordered the book off Amazon and read it the day it arrived. It's only 30 pages long and it's a little corny, but the message is clear and concise. Set your goals and read them to yourself every day in the morning, middle of the day, and before bed. Keep them to yourself so you can avoid distractions and sabotage.

I've been doing it for a couple weeks now and, of course, one of my goals is fitness. I won't get into the details because that is private to me, but by reading my goals to myself multiple times per day, I find the motivation to do what I need to do. Working out is no longer something I have to do. It is a priority. I feel like something is missing if I don't workout during the day. I feel more focused and I'm more aware of what I eat.

I realize it's not a cure-all but if you are looking for some good advice on how to set and focus on your goals, check it out. The book is only $3 + shipping. And no, I'm not trying to sell anything. Just sharing my experience.

Good luck to all of you...