The growing case against processed foods

Options
http://preventdisease.com/news/12/030112_World-Renown-Heart-Surgeon-Speaks-Out-On-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease.shtml

I found this to be an interesting read from a doctor who has given up on mainstream dietary advice.

Replies

• rowlandk
    rowlandk Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I found this very interesting. Thank you for posting it!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    hmmm.....I think I like this guy's comment a bit better, at least I agree with the fact that the article "has very little to do with "processed" vs. "natural".
    Salim Morgan · Imam Muhammad ibn Saud Islamic University
    But this really has very little to do with "processed" vs. "natural". Although I'm all for that, it is not terribly relevant. Aside from micro-nutrients, everything we eat presents in the blood as free fatty acids, amino acids and glucose (OK and a few minor sugars). That's it! There is no "sweet roll" or "whole wheat pasta" or "carrot" in your bloodstream. All of those are simply GLUCOSE and no cell in your body can tell one glucose molecule (from a sweetroll) from another (from a carrot). The problem and the source of inflammation is:

1) TOO MUCH GLUCOSE, and
    2) TOO MUCH POLYUNSATURATED FATTY ACIDS

That's the huge change of the last 50 years and that's the source of the increased inflammation and everything else he describes. If someone on this diet replaced every "processed" food with a similar "natura" one e.g., whilte flour with whole grain flour it would do exactly NOTHING or very close thereto.

I wish he never mentioed "processed" foods because aside from the fact that most of them are high-glucose producing foods (along with many "natural" foods), that just obscured much of his point and opened this somewhat useless side discussion.