pre-diabetic

Options
I'm pre-diabetic:cry: and I'm trying to increase my calories to make my goals, I figured carrots would be a great snack since I love veggies, but 3 baby carrots have 5g of sugar, and we all know 3 baby carrots won't fill you up, can anyone suggest something to help boost my calories to make my goals without sugar! Seems like everything has sugar in it!

Replies

• Lorrie_73
    Lorrie_73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks is Chobani plain greek yogurt (0% fat) with one packet of Stevia and one 1 TBSP of unsweetened shredded coconut. It is very filling. With the plain yogurt, it drastically reduces the sugar/carb content.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I am pre Diabetic also (find out next week if my numbers went down!). The problem isn't the sugar in the carrot or the fruits, when you eat carbs(they cause your blood sugar to change) you have to eat them with something else. The first thing I learned was to never eat a carb alone. I used to eat an apple and think wow what a good snack....not so! Now I eat my daily apple(High in carb/sugar) with a fat and protein(almounds/yogurt etc.).

If you eat the carb alone you will have a spike in your blood sugar and it will quicly drop soon after. If you eat it with a protein/fat, the blood sugar spike will be minimal and the drop will also be minimal.