Pre-packaged meal plans....which ones?

Options
2»

Replies

• rwinans
    rwinans Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have to tell you I have tried nutrisystem -- it didn't work. Food was good, taught me portion sizes but it didn't teach me how to cook for health. So gained it all back. It is better to learn what you can eat that will feed your body so you can make choices. Of course, I say that because I have been trying to learn vegan dishes that will give me protein however the carbs are not helping me lose weight.....but I'm not really working hard to lose weight just how to cook healthy. One step at a time for me.

I do love Trader Joes for convenience food that I can keep in the freezer for a quick meal versus driving through a place or picking up bad sturff to fix to eat. I've been making a list for the weekly meals on Sunday so that I don't have to make a decision when I get home from work -- just go on automatic pilot. So haven't gained....but haven't lost. I have to get into a walking program I think.
  • kmillar1224
    kmillar1224 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I had great success on Jenny Craig - lost 30 pounds. I would def. go back on JC, but it costs too much for me right now.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    oh, and to clarify I'm all about frozen foods at lunch for work.

I prefer Amy's Organics and Evol burritos. Also, Kashi. I did the research and selected things that are organic, humanely raised meats (like those I eat in my every day life). Those meals are rated B+/A- depending on the choice.

Lean Cuisines and Healthy Choice are not at the top of the rating list. I get them once in a while, but I'm loyal to the "good stuff"
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    A bit of background. I am married, mom to nine children ages 18-1, full time student, take care of my FIL. I am spending way too much time grabbing fast food on my way to school, and not enough time at home cooking. I know if I had more time, I could cook more at home, but I don't.

Sheri

What are your kids eating then? If you are cooking for them, you can cook for yourself. Why not have the whole family transition to healthier eating so you have more time.
    And, if you have an 18 year old....he/she can help you prep and cook (younger kids too). No reason that Mom should have to do all the work.

^^^^^^This. I don't understand the dynamic.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Have to tell you I have tried nutrisystem -- it didn't work. Food was good, taught me portion sizes but it didn't teach me how to cook for health. So gained it all back. It is better to learn what you can eat that will feed your body so you can make choices. Of course, I say that because I have been trying to learn vegan dishes that will give me protein however the carbs are not helping me lose weight.....but I'm not really working hard to lose weight just how to cook healthy. One step at a time for me.

I do love Trader Joes for convenience food that I can keep in the freezer for a quick meal versus driving through a place or picking up bad sturff to fix to eat. I've been making a list for the weekly meals on Sunday so that I don't have to make a decision when I get home from work -- just go on automatic pilot. So haven't gained....but haven't lost. I have to get into a walking program I think.

Trader Joe's is a lifesaver in this regard. Plus, they don't put hormones and antibiotics in their meat!
  • joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think it's a crutch as you wouldn't use Nutrisystem or something similar indefinetly. Might as well bite the bullet and figure out how to prepare nutritious meals for yourself. No doubt about it, it takes some work and planning but well worth it. Just my opinion.
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    i have tried nutrisystem.. and it worked ok.. but food was not great (mind you this was 15 years ago).. if you can cook large portions and divide it up .. you are better off. i used to eat alot of the prepackaged meals.. but now that im used to "real" food.. i cant even stand the smell of weighwatcher and lean cuiseine.. ick.
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    I know what you mean about it being easier to grab and go at the drive through - but I would recruit some of those kids to help you. I mean maybe you could find an hour as a family to prep meals for the week. And then you can grab and go at home.

Some simple ideas.
    I make a smoothie every morning with fruit, honey if it needs sweetened and water. I have bullet on my desk at work, but it wouldn't be anything to throw it in the blender at home too.
    Measure out a couple servings of cold meat and have it in a baggie. Bread is on the counter and if it's easier, you can baggie that up too.
    Cook an extra serving at dinner before anyone gets their meal you take your lunch out of it. BTW, your older kids - 12-up can cook meals. Maybe nothing spectacular, but they can do it. And the older ones can help younger ones too.
    Grill a ton of chicken, turkey, burgers whatever and package and put them up in the freezer. they will thaw by lunch and you can microwave if you want it hot.
    Salads are good and you can just use a mason jar if you want to store them in for the week, or baggies and then you are only dealing with one bowl to wash (tho I wash/rinse my baggies and reuse alot.)
    And if you do stop at FF - what are the choices you are making. I've learned that I don't have to do the quarter pound burger at McD's. I like it best, but that's not going to get me to my goals. So I don't always choose it. I ususally get a chicken wrap thing - eating a salad in a car does not work for me. I carry my own fruit with me. Almost always have an apple, banana, carrots, pepper stuff like that to use for the sides. But sometimes (not often) I still get the burger.

Just some quick thoughts.
  • catfisch_6
    catfisch_6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Anything that comes prepackaged is probably high in sodium. However, there are inevitably times when I just don't have the time or patience to cook. Usually I buy something Stoufers. They have a pretty good variety, and can be found in pretty much any grocery store, and are relatively cheap. They also have family sized items. As an earlier poster said, a George Foreman is also excellent., because it is fast, and if you add a salad, or vegtables, you can have a meal in ten minutes. Good luck. I hope you get the answers you were looking for.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You can create your own pre-packaged meal plan with what is available at the supermarket.

Kashi breakfast bars, cereal (both of which can be eaten as snacks too)
    Healthy Choice steamers, Lean Cusisine meals (lunch or dinner)
    Amy's Organic burritos (for lunch or breakfast)
    Bottles of water.
    Bagged salad
    Fresh fruit/fresh veggies
    Almonds

Would it be cheaper/healthier to make your own food? Yup. But from your description, it sounds like you just don't have the time.
    For a quick dash and grab, something you could try in the morning, is to make 4-5 peanut butter sandwiches on the weekend, and throw them all in the freezer. Then during the week, grab and go.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    A bit of background. I am married, mom to nine children ages 18-1, full time student, take care of my FIL. I am spending way too much time grabbing fast food on my way to school, and not enough time at home cooking. I know if I had more time, I could cook more at home, but I don't.

Sheri

I don't see how you could afford something like NutriSystem with all of this going on. Your best bet is to plan out your meals and make a detailed grocery list, then take some time immediately after grocery shopping to prepare meals ahead of time. You can freeze individual portions.

I'm a mom of three kids 3 1/2 years - 5 months. I make my lunch the night before and a smoothie every morning before I leave for school. It's also easy to pop a bagel in the toaster oven while I'm getting ready. I didn't get to bed until 2am last night and was up at 6:30 to milk for my baby and to get ready. It's not always easy, but making time to cook real food is always worth it.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My MIL ate the Jenny Craig ones for awhile, they looked disgusting honestly. But I don't eat any frozen meals, so maybe they are good compared to others? Either way, they were really small, and really bland looking. She didn't like them much and quit after a month.

And I agree with what a couple of the others said, your kids can definitly help out at 18 years old, if they are home to help. Even my 9 year old can make a simple meal of bbq chicken, salad and rice. I just have to check the chicken at the end to make sure its cooked.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    isn't that an expensive way to eat? if you think about how little time it actually takes preparing a meal, 15 mins does a lot! and cooking time can be similar timing especially if you cut veg small or do a lot of stir frying....or stick to salads - its possible to have a meal on the table in no time...its hard to beat a fresh home prepared meal, you know what you put in etc. And if you haven't time to cook, buy veg and salads already washed/chopped etc. There's always way to make meal time hassle free :)
    (I do alot of my meal preparing the night before so when I get in from work its just a matter of cooking it - easy!)
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I agree with the consensus on here: eating whole, fresh, healthy foods is a much better way to go. I'm a mom of 4 (14, 11, 8, and 5) I do home childcare full time, and I'm currently separated from my husband. The key for me is to PLAN, PLAN, PLAN. I make a menu for the week after I do my grocery shopping with all my lunches and dinners (I eat the same thing for breakfast virtually every day; spoon size shredded wheat with fruit and nuts). I do the prepping for the next day the night before. Each of my kids except the 5 year old are responsible for dinner one night a week. My 14 year old is a great cook and can make virtually anything, and is a vegetarian, so her meals are always healthy! My 11 year old needs more guidance, but can do lots. When the 8 year old is on duty, I usually do something that she can help me load in the slow cooker the night before, and then she makes salad, or veggies and dip, or something to go with it. If you're homeschooling, you could even include cooking activities in their learning time. It makes me feel great that I'm teaching my kids a valuable life skill.
  • andthenwhat
    andthenwhat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    YIkes. Topics like this hurt to read... it's like, do I choose fillers, preservatives and sodium OR fillers, preservatives, and sodium. I feel like I have no say in the matter, however, because I don't even have one kid so... I guess all I can say is try to go as natural as possible and I hope hope hope you find something that works for you!
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    None.

They are all very expensive and not good the longterm. Do you plan on being on the meal plan forever? If not, then unless you learn how to cook/eat right then you will gain the weight back when you stop eating the prepackaged meals you bought.
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Prepackaged meals are full of all kinds of additives that you can avoid if you make your own ready meals. Whenever you cook, make at least one extra full portion and freeze it in an individual serving container. You can also do bulk batching - make a basic mince in tomato sauce mix, then use part as Bolognese, part for making up individual lasagnes, and add kidney beans and chillies to the last section to make chilli - three different meals all in one go. And if you make a big enough batch, you can get 2 of each in your freezer and have one that night for your dinner too. Next, roast a whole large chicken. Have a chicken dinner, but then portion up the rest and make curry and stew with the rest, as well as making soup with the carcass. Next step is to grab a selection of fish (I like salmon and haddock), cut it into chunks and cook it (doesn't take long). Mix in the sauce of your choice (I like a cheese one) and top with mashed potato. Again, make them into individual portions for the freezer. Fish pie is a delicious, quick meal. You can add veg to it too - I like to add broccoli/peas/sweetcorn - and it's ready just to slip into the oven when you want it.

Now you have a several weeks worth of meals out of just three quick cooking sessions - hurrah! (If you're anything like me, you'll do it all on one day and be done with it - it's worth using up one day off work to make that many ready meals!).

If you don't already have a slow cooker / crock pot, invest in one. They're inexpensive and they will save you a fortune as well as loads of time. I don't know how I'd cope without mine! You also have complete control over what goes into your meals and can tweak the recipes to your own tastes. Label each package with what's in there (you can add the nutritional data too if you like) and the date you made it.

Another bonus is that if not everyone fancies the same meal for dinner, you can take out different ones to please everyone. All you have to do is take them out of the freezer to defrost (take them out before you head to work in the morning) and then pop them in the oven when you get home.

I guarantee that once you start cooking this way, you will never go back, your body (and your family, if you're cooking for more than one!) will thank you for it, because you'll always have tasty, flavoursome, healthy home-cooked meals on the table.
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I buy some Weightwatchers meals, and also some stores own brand (if they are low enough in calories)
  • kaileykill
    Options
    oh, and to clarify I'm all about frozen foods at lunch for work.

I prefer Amy's Organics and Evol burritos. Also, Kashi. I did the research and selected things that are organic, humanely raised meats (like those I eat in my every day life). Those meals are rated B+/A- depending on the choice.

Lean Cuisines and Healthy Choice are not at the top of the rating list. I get them once in a while, but I'm loyal to the "good stuff"

I LOVE YOU!!! I have been looking for something healthy that was frozen that would be easy for me to just stick in the microwave or oven. You have been the answer! I am so excited<3
    EDIT: That wasn't lean cuisine or whatever those others ones are because honestly..they're not that healthy -.-
  • missykay03
    Options
    if it's available....freshmealplan.com......amazing, perfectly portioned real food. those pre packaged frozen dinner have all kinds of additives, preservatives and other crap that'll cause you to gain more weight in the long run. Fresh delivers twice a week and you can modify to any allergies or general preferences!