low cal frosting or easy alternatives

Options
mfoster1019
mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
i'm looking for low calorie frosting. i know you can use sugar free/fat free whipped topping, but i'm not a big fan of whipped cream. canned frostings aren't that low cal (even when using less than a full serving size). i'm not much of a baker/cook so i'd prefer to not have to make anything too intense. i know i'm being super picky, but are there any options?

if it helps, i'm thinking of making the ice cream cone cupcakes...where you bake the cupcake inside of the ice cream cone. i was just looking for some sort of topping. i mean i wouldn't mind eating without topping if i can't find a low cal option, but not everyone that would eat them is watching their calories and would probably prefer frosting of some kind.

thanks!

Replies

• Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I believe you can melt marshmallows for a low fat cake topping. If you google it you should find the instructions.
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you can take a can of frosting and whip it with beaters so that it gets more air in it. You get the same amount of coverage for less frosting.
  • woodmetal
    woodmetal Posts: 72
    Options
    Ckeck out Chocolate -covered Kate blog!! She does vegan recipes and they are delicious!! LOve her! She has lots of healthy ideas for desserts that are to die for! Love the chocolate chip cookie dough dip!!
  • lisapisa1
    lisapisa1 Posts: 115
    Options
    Not really super simple, but maybe someone else can offer to make the frosting if you're making the cupcakes

http://www.marthastewart.com/341535/whipped-frosting?backto=true&backtourl=/photogallery/frosting-recipes#slide_1

Ingredients

3 large egg whites
    3/4 cup sugar
    Pinch of salt
    1/3 cup water
    1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions

In a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water, combine egg whites, sugar, salt, and water. Cook over medium, stirring constantly, until sugar has dissolved (or mixture registers 150 degrees on an instant-read thermometer), 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium-high until glossy, stiff peaks form (do not overbeat), about 3 minutes; reduce speed to low, add vanilla extract, and beat just until combined. Use immediately.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You cold try http://www.skinnytaste.com/ as well they may have something on there.