Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Overtraining?

Without getting into it too much, I have been exercising like a mad woman for the past month. I'll usually go to the gym 2+ hours a day, 6 days a week. Here is my work out schedule for the past few weeks:

Monday: Cycle class 60 minutes + RIPPED (acronym; stands for Resistance, Intervals, Power, Plyo, Endurance, Diet) 60 minutes + Strength 50 minutes
Tuesday: Cardio Kickboxing 60 minutes + Strength 60 minutes
Wednesday: Strength 60 minutes + Core 30 minutes + HIIT treadmill & elliptical 60 minutes
Thursday: Pilates 60 minutes + RIPPED 60 minutes
Friday: Rest Day
Saturday: Cycle 60 minutes + RIPPED 60 minutes
Sunday: RIPPED 60 minutes + HIIT Treadmill & Elliptical 60 minutes

After I exercise I feel an extreme emotional low. Could I be overtraining?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    You could be overtraining, or under eating, or both! If you are feeling really tired and drained all the time, you have nothing left in your energy stores. Since I can't see your diary, I can't tell if you're not getting enough nutrition to support such a HUGE workout schedule!
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    You need more cals..
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Chime in with how much you're eating (including how much protein) and how much you're sleeping.

But even if you're doing perfectly with both of those things, you probably *are* overtraining. Muscle can only grow and repair during rest, and you're not really giving your body a chance to do that. Which means you're scorching calories like a mad woman, but not really giving yourself a chance to get stronger - you're just wearing yourself out. Try incorporating an extra rest day or two in there - I bet you'll feel a whole lot better physically and emotionally.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Wow, that is an assertive schedule! Overtraining is a likley suspect, but it often goes hand in hand with nutritional imbalance.

How much a of a calorie deficit are you usually operating in? Do you engage in specific recovery activiites in between sessions, or on your off day? Also, did you work up to that activity level or just jump up to it?
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    A healthy lifestyle is all about BALANCE - eating well, exercising in a healthy way, having fun, being social and knowing when to have some down time just for you. If you're happy spending that much time at the gym then I guess it's OK, but it doesn't sound like your body is!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Train smarter, not longer. 3x / week with a comprehensive strength training program and 0-3x/week doing 30-60 minutes of cardio is all you really need.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    You could be overtraining, or under eating, or both! If you are feeling really tired and drained all the time, you have nothing left in your energy stores. Since I can't see your diary, I can't tell if you're not getting enough nutrition to support such a HUGE workout schedule!

Pretty much this. overtraining, under eating, or both. I found that my body works best with 6 - 10 hours and no more of strenuous exercise per week (aiming for about 50/50 cardio and weights). When I'm training for something (like a race) I change my mix up and add some hours as necessary. I work full time, have a family, have friends, have responsibilities, and while exercise is my time, it's not really down time . . . the body needs rest to repair and down time to replenish.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Without getting into it too much, I have been exercising like a mad woman for the past month. I'll usually go to the gym 2+ hours a day, 6 days a week. Here is my work out schedule for the past few weeks:

Monday: Cycle class 60 minutes + RIPPED (acronym; stands for Resistance, Intervals, Power, Plyo, Endurance, Diet) 60 minutes + Strength 50 minutes
    Tuesday: Cardio Kickboxing 60 minutes + Strength 60 minutes
    Wednesday: Strength 60 minutes + Core 30 minutes + HIIT treadmill & elliptical 60 minutes
    Thursday: Pilates 60 minutes + RIPPED 60 minutes
    Friday: Rest Day
    Saturday: Cycle 60 minutes + RIPPED 60 minutes
    Sunday: RIPPED 60 minutes + HIIT Treadmill & Elliptical 60 minutes

After I exercise I feel an extreme emotional low. Could I be overtraining?

I understand where you are coming from, but like someone else said without really seeing your diary, we cant really make any suggestions. I workout alot (6 days per week, 2+ hrs a day); its my job! So I burn alot of calories (anywhere between 12-1500 depending on the day and the workout). if you are feeling emotionally drained especially if you arent fueling your body for your workouts, I would say you are overtraining.

Signs of overtraining are:
    depression
    mood swings
    your body is taking longer to recover from previous day's workout
    you are experiencing excess muscle soreness and fatigue
    your workouts seems harder than usual even though its the same workout you have done before

You could also be feeling this way because you arent eating enough food to fuel your body and your workouts! What you need to ask yourself is what are you goals and if you really need to be exercising this much in order to get there.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Holy crap, that work-load is super high. Why are you doing this to yourself? Losing weight? If so id reduce that workload a lot. Ill use a little quote "A caloric deficit is a recovery deficit". If you are feeling like ****, that means you are taxing your body to much, and your are not allowing it to repair itself.
  • For me exercise isn't just about the physical effects. It makes me feel good. I like the endorphin rush. It's kinda like an addiction.

I generally take in a TON of protein (30% or more of my cals come from protein), and I eat lots of fruits & veggies because I don't like taking multivitamins.

In terms of my calorie intake, I recently lowered my intake per a personal trainer's suggestion.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    When I first started MFP I worked out every day for 150 days and finally hurt my ankle, I didn't twist it or anything just over did it with no breaks. You are doing a lot but you are taking a day off. I wish that I had paced myself better since its taking for ever to get my ankle better. Just be careful and get enough rest a calories. I think the thing that made it possible for me to go so long was that I take in enough calories. Make sure that you eat back your exercise calories....
  • lizard053
    For me exercise isn't just about the physical effects. It makes me feel good. I like the endorphin rush. It's kinda like an addiction.

I generally take in a TON of protein (30% or more of my cals come from protein), and I eat lots of fruits & veggies because I don't like taking multivitamins.

In terms of my calorie intake, I recently lowered my intake per a personal trainer's suggestion.
    I'm the same way about the endorphin rush. Whole reason to work out! Sounds like you eat healthy too. I don't think you needed to lower your calorie intake though, if anything, being as close to goal as you are, you need more. But if you feel low after a workout, you're not getting the endorphin rush. They keep me floating for hours post-workout. Perhaps you need to eat more protein immediately following a workout. That way your muscles have something to work with to heal!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    For me exercise isn't just about the physical effects. It makes me feel good. I like the endorphin rush. It's kinda like an addiction.

Personal trainers aren't nutritionists. I'd re-think lowering your calories.
  • lwoods34

How many calories are you eating right now to support your workouts??
  • At first I was eating from 1500-1900 a day (not netting, eating).

I've decreased it to 1300-1500 a day, because I hit a plateau. It's actually been working...

But okay, I'll stop being stubborn and increase the intake a bit, and take an extra rest day. Tuesdays and Fridays will be my rest days. Or should they be consecutive?
  • lwoods34

Personal trainers aren't nutritionists. I'd re-think lowering your calories.

No, personal trainers are not nutritionists, but we CAN give the basic guidelines without going beyond our scope of practice. Our certification teaches us about caloric intake and yes there is a very fine line regarding giving out nutrition information but we are within our scope of practice by giving the basic guidelines for how many calories someone should eat based upon their activity level.
  • lizard053
    Rest days do not need to be consecutive.

When you cut the calories, did you feel good a week or two, then start having these low down feelings? If that's true, then the dropping the calories is exactly the reason for it. I think you should be netting at least 1500 calories a day with that workout schedule!
  • lwoods34
    At first I was eating from 1500-1900 a day (not netting, eating).

I've decreased it to 1300-1500 a day, because I hit a plateau. It's actually been working...

But okay, I'll stop being stubborn and increase the intake a bit, and take an extra rest day. Tuesdays and Fridays will be my rest days. Or should they be consecutive?

I dont know how many calories you are burning per day but for me personally I burn between 12-1500 per day and Im eating over 2,000+ per day (not netting). I eat that much to fuel my body and to fuel my workouts. Of course if I wasnt working out as much as I do, I wouldnt be eating as much but if you are only eating 1300-1500 per day that is no where need enough food to support your body and your workouts. You will definitely be left feeling emotionally tired AND physically tired.

As for your rest days, you can take them back to back OR split them up. Your choice.
  • lwoods34
    Rest days do not need to be consecutive.

When you cut the calories, did you feel good a week or two, then start having these low down feelings? If that's true, then the dropping the calories is exactly the reason for it. I think you should be netting at least 1500 calories a day with that workout schedule!
    [/quote

People will feel differently about the whole "netting thing" but I honestly dont pay attention to it really. A MFP actually deleted me because I was netting under 1200 or what she thought I should be netting. Yes I net under 1000 but there is NO WAY my body would be able to function if I truely only netted 700 calories. I wouldnt be able to get out of bed, let alone do the kind of workouts that I do if I truely only took in 700 calories. For you to net 1500 calories, depending again on how many calories you burn for your workouts, you are looking at eating close to 3000 calories.

For example, today I burned a little over 1500 calories for my workouts. MFP has me set at 1430 which means that I need to eat 2900 calories for the day in order to net back my 1430. If I ate that much, I would actually GAIN weight. I know that because its happened before. Right now, Im losing about 1/2 lb to 1 lb per week eating anywhere between 22-2300.

You might just have to play around with your numbers a little bit to see what works for YOU. Different things will work for different people. There is no such things as one size fits its when it comes to weight loss.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    You maybe getting burned out for pushing so hard so fast