Plateau and sudden drop in body fat

Options
I have been gaining and losing the same 2 lbs. for about 3 months. I am also 3 lbs away from my UWG of 138. I worked out 3-4 times/week doing a HIITP consisting of elliptical and strength training. I also do JM 30 DS. In terms of nutrition, I have been using Olivia's method, so I have my daily calorie goal set at 1,680 (which is really 1400). I am 5'6" and weigh 141. My BF% has been stuck at 30%. This am, when I weighed myself, my body fat had dropped to 28.4%. I am wondering what would cause such a sudden drop. I am also looking for suggestions for how to get rid of those pesky last 3 lbs. I eat a generally healthy diet, with alot of variety, lots of vegetables and protein (limited red meat) and complex carbs. I have not tried restricting carbs, because my hubby is fond of them, and I find them hard to resist.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Have you tracked your sodium at all? that can help.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do track sodium. I have my sodium goal at 1,500mg/day. I have high blood pressure, so I try to limit my sodium consumption. I don't think that is a factor here.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    You exercise a lot harder than I do, but I am also still fiddling with the last 3 pounds. I have my calories set to 1/2 pound loss per week. Can't imagine going full on maintenance as I am up and down from this point. Did crack my goal one day so there is hope. My diet is what I would call 80% vegan, few grains, few starchy veggies, and tons of fresh and raw fruits and veggies. I don't eat many processed foods such as bread and crackers. I don't add salt to my food anymore except for the soy sauce in a stir fry maybe once or twice a week. My sodium is typically under 1000 mg. Eat out perhaps once a week and usually go for salad bar or small chicken tosada at Mexican food without sour cream, guacamole, or cheese but again over load on chips then. Chinese food last night, primarily had stir fried veggies with garlic sauce, smaller amounts of mu shu pork without wrapper and bad for me lemon chicken - 2 pieces. But am Spot On every single morning with AM smoothie including usually 6 oz of greens, banana and berries, usually good veggie lunch. Dinner usually good and limited meat if any.

I'll keep you posted if anything new turns up for me. I know dropping the first 7 of my last 10 was a piece of cake eating like this, but now am stuck! Keep forging onward. I think I am also 28 - 30% fat but don't expect that is terribly correct. Lost 67 pounds in all from my 205 pound high. 135 is my goal. I am 54, 5' 5 1/2' tall and 55 next month. I'd say I am a skinny fat or a fat skinny, whichever you prefer!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Are you using an electronic body fat scale that you weigh naked on? If so, and you're retaining any extra water, your body fat percentage would drop that fast. You may lose a few pounds of water and then the % will go back up. Just a thought!
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options

Thanks for the link. I don't know if it matters, but I am taking a diuretic for high blood pressure. This am, my BF% was back up to 30%, but I was down a lb. At the moment, my body is fairly lean, but the excess fat seems to be mostly around my waist. I am doing planks and crunches and JM 30DS, but no matter what I do, it won't budge. I welcome suggestions.....