One day a month..where you say F it?

Options
Do any of you take a day where you don't worry about calories and enjoy an occasional pig out session..or do you tend to do such things in moderation?

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I do that.
    We hire a babysitter once a month and go to the movies. It's an all out pigfest on popcorn and nachos. LOL :) I have no issue with it, I jump right back on the horse the next day and all is good.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between a 2500 cal binge on one day and getting back to normal the next day and a 10,000cal weekend binge.

Say F it every now and then for your own sanity but don't go silly.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I used to do it once a week, but I don't have a desire to do it anymore. Now, the only time I don't hit my calorie goal is when I'm on vacation, or on days like thanksgiving.
  • addies_mom
    Options
    Once a week, if I've got the leftover calories, I'll eat whatever the heck I want. Last week it was movie theatre popcorn with butter, the week before a brownie explosion from DQ. I felt super gross after both though, so I may have to tone it down to once a month!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet but I know I will have at least one piece of cake on my sons 2nd birthday. I feel like crap if I pig out and eat whatever I want and then comes the guilt when I get on the scale and see that I have gained weight.

However, I am going to CA in June and I am going to eat whatever I want!!!
  • Mygypsysoul
    Mygypsysoul Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I had a F it weekend.. It was my birthday Friday and pretty much all weekend was shot with celebrations and too much cake.... I still have two different cakes in the fridge.. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to throw them out so I can get back on track!!! Other than this weekend I really try not to have an off day because I find it so hard to get back on track.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between a 2500 cal binge on one day and getting back to normal the next day and a 10,000cal weekend binge.

I've done a bit of both...girl's weekend away? I ate whatever I wanted all weekend. And drank. It was probably a 7,000 calorie weekend. And then I came home, went right back to my normal healthy diet, and worked my butt off at the gym.

I take 2-3 days off from logging a month, have lunch out, enjoy some red vines, make dinner without using the recipe tracker here, etc It keeps me sane. And I won't call it a "cheat" day - I've got nothing to cheat on ;)

At any rate, this method hasn't hindered my progress. I still have lost 10-12 pounds each month since I started.
  • eightpock
    eightpock Posts: 61
    Options
    The Wife and I started MyFitnessPal 3 weeks ago, and we were discussing just that, having one day a month where we had no limits.

I'm on the fence though about it. Maybe when I get down to my target weight, and I am maintaining rather than trying to lose...
  • vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    Today will be that day since i've already surpassed my calorie limit and its only 1:30.....but I will definately be better tomorrow...I've got too much to "lose" (yes, I intended that to have double meaning)
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I do it 2-3 times a month, especially if I'm sick / hungover / PMSing. It's partly to keep my sanity and to limit binges, cause whenever I really crave something bad for me, I'll tell myself "you can have it on sunday".

The binges aren't completely disgusting either, usually around 2,500 calories. It may be twice my new daily calorie allowance, but it's probably mild compared to what I used to eat! And anyway, after a junk binge like that, I usually feel nauseous and won't crave anything like it again for a few weeks.
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    From what I have learned, you need a spike day every once in a while to shake up your metabolism. I allow myself a spike day of 2000-2500 calories about once a month (my usual is 1200). So far so good.

13800327.png
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    i have 1 cheat day every week. remember you can eat anything you want as long as you don't overdue it.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just do things in moderation. I stay under my calories, and just work out extra when I know I'm gonna eat crap. A few weeks ago I made sure to work out like a beast so I could go to Buffalo Wild Wings and eat hot wings and drink beer, and I was still under my calories for the day! I probably eat something on the "naughty" list about 2 or 3 times a week (and I drink alcohol a few times a week) but just offset it by working out more and being very conscious of what I'm eating the rest of the time.

I found that when I said "ok this is my cheat day, who cares about the calories" it just kinda snowballed and didn't work for me. But when I don't look at these bad foods as like a special treat, I'm not as tempted to binge out on em. Kinda like telling a kid that a certain toy is off limits. If they know it's off limits, they'll want to play with it 10 times more, but if they know they can play with it whenever they want, they just have to ask permission, they won't see it as much of a big deal and prob won't be as interested.
  • JustLena75
    JustLena75 Posts: 114
    Options
    I do this once per week...but honestly it's wearing thin, I don't particularly like or enjoy it anymore. I suppose that is good though. I feel that is a measure of progress in itself. I don't like the way I feel when I 'junk out' anymore...it's not a happy feeling like it used to kind of be. Stuff that used to taste good doesn't hold my interest much anymore. But it has helped me stay sane in the past. I think I'm getting close to kissing 'F it day' goodbye.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't really give up anything. I'm learning moderation, and some healthier options of my favorite things. Because of this, I don't really feel the need to go crazy anymore.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I do have a problem with Binge eating. Some of you may tell me..No, don't do it..its not worth it. It would be like enabling an alcoholic to have a day to drink once a month..thats my only concern. What would you guys think? I can do things in moderation, but still feel for a day to say f it..i wanna have a day where there is no worries.
  • jnbud2002
    jnbud2002 Posts: 216
    Options
    The hubs and I do it on Saturday's, we have family dinner at his dad's house, and well, we don't know what all they put in the meals. So we just figure, that'll be our day! I think if we were to log it, I don't think we'd be going over on cals by too much. We do tend to eat less for breakfast and lunch, and then we eat deliciously at his dad's.
  • littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I can do a cheat meal, but not a cheat day.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Every weekend. But I rarely go all nutty with my eating. I probably eat about the same or less than when I log everything, unless there's a party or something. Then I'm a total hog! :drinker:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    with exercise, not food :-/