Were you adopted?

shanahan_09
shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
* This can be a heavy subject for some--never was for me, thankfully.

I was adopted at 2 months. Birth parents are Finns--birth mother came over to Canada while pregnant with me. Was in a foster home for the first 2 months until my wonderful parents adopted me.

Just wondering if you have found your birth parents? I know where my birth mother lives--have spoken to my 2nd cousin (her cousin) and the story goes that she doesn't want any contact with me at all...which pi**es me off because all I really want to know is health history. (And yes I realize that maybe she has kept me a secret, maybe it hurts too much, maybe she feels guilty...etc etc... ) BUT, by being adopted, I know absolutely nothing (if breast cancer runs in the family, diabetes, etc). Plus I have children now and want to safe guard them with any knowledge of medical issues that can be in the gene pool.

The 2nd cousin sent me pictures of her (she lives not even an hour away from me) when she was young. Was interesting to see her face...I do look like her except for the eyes. I always wonder what the father looks like. I wonder if she ever told him? Being adopted one always has questions, and yes, it's a void that is missing. Don't get me wrong, I have a blessed life, my parents are my real mom and dad (hate it when people ask "Well, don't you want to meet your real parents?')...Anyone can have a kid...but it's the person raising, nurturing, loving that child who deserves the title of Mom or Dad.

Anyhoo, if any of you were adopted...feel free to friend request me. Funny side note to this, as you can see I love hockey...always joked that maybe one of the famous Finn NHL'ers are related to me. Plus I LOVE winter...any correlation to it...who knows?! :)

Replies

• shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    bump
  • kmwmgw
    kmwmgw Posts: 9
    I was adopted when I was four weeks old. And like you, my "real parents" are the wonderful people who chose me, loved me, raised me, etc. When I was 28 I decided I wanted to meet my birth parents. Well after much investigating and prying, my birth mother agreed to see me but my birth father did not want to. To make a long story short it was an awful mistake to meet them. It ends up they had me and gave me up and two years later got married and had four more children. The worst part of it all was my birth mother's plates on her car said fours enough. Anyway what I found ironic in your story was the hockey part, because I always loved to bowl and was pretty good at it. Well, guess what my birth father is a professional bowler! I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor and hope you get the information you deserve to have!!!
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Hi!
    Im adopted. Was in foster care a couple of weeks before my parents got me. I am waaaaaay different than my adopted parents and family. The funniest part was that theyre all barely 5 feet tall and Im nearly 6. I stood out a lil bit :laugh: I love them dearly but always knew I wanted to find my biological parents. They were always open with me about it and were completely behind me when I decided to look for them.
    I looked for a long time. Made contact with my mother once but she declined to meet at that time. Just asked some basic questions and let the contact drop. Every time I moved, Id update my information everywhere so she could find me whenever she was ready. Well, 2 years ago, I get an email from someone saying she is my biological sister. We facebooked eachother immediately and there was NO denying she was a match. Shes almost my twin! Same interests, practically the same college degree and she looked like me. I cant tell you how weird that is after never seeing a face that looks like yours. Turns out, our parents married a few years after I was born and had her. They stayed married for a long time - longer than my own adoptive parents infact. We met up quickly after that. She laughs and talks like me too. I also met my dad and all of his family. He is amazing. What a dad should actually be like. We talk every couple of days. My mom still isnt ready to meet me yet. I want so much to know her but I can not comprehend the decision she made and the feelings attached to it so Ill wait patiently.
    My adoptive family has taken them in completely.... they come to kids birthdays, holidays, you name it.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    A quick bump so I can find this again and reply later when I have time.
    Short version, adopted @ birth, have met both biological parents though don't really keep in contact.
    Real parents still rock :)
  • I was adopted @ 2 days old. My adopted Mother told me when I was 6. It was never a big deal or problem in our household. 5 years after my adoption my sister was born. We were never treated different. My Mom encouraged me to search for my biological-- although I have little to no information to go on. I made a half- hearted attempt once-- no results. I do not know any blood relatives. Sometimes I wonder...... My Mother and Father are both deceased now. I lost my Mom in 08--painful. She was 83.
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    I was adopted at 8 days old. My parents were told a BS story of how I was a born to a young German woman who was a student here and how my bio father was a first generation German. My parents are both from Germany and I've read articles that tell how social workers would do that to make the adopted child more palatable to the adopting parents. My father always welcomed my questions, my mother always got angry. She was very angry and resentful she couldn't have children of her own. Anyhow, I tried to find info. Very difficult if you were born before the 70's. I got very little except that my bio mother was from West Virginia, was very fair complected with blue eyes. Bio father listed as unknown. hahaha Anyway, red hair, fair skin explains my daughter and I happened to marry into a family from West Virginia and love hills, open country, semi-isolation. Totally opposite my parents. Coincidence?